PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Press ONE for English?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 03:26 AM
Jmm
Default RE: Press ONE for English?

To make a long story short, I disagree with both Nick and Dennis on the following points:

1/ The European Union has the largest economy in the world. The EU economy is expected to grow further over the next decade as more countries join the union - especially considering that the new States are usually poorer than the EU average, and hence the expected fast GDP growth will help achieve the dynamic of the united Europe.
So, to the contrary to what Dennis has said the EEC economy is significantly larger than the USA one.

Rank Country GDP (millions of USD) —
Gross world product 48,144,466 —
European Union 14,527,140 1
United States 13,244,550 2
Japan 4,367,459

2/ EURO was the best financial move EVER made by the EEC and no, Sweden would have not been 'ruined' if they had choosen to shift from the SK to the €.
Quiet the contrary actually!since Sweden import most of its mass consumers good from the EEC and pay in EURO.that alone cut about 0.5 to 0.8 % to the country growth.
plus Sweden has to buy oil in Dollars and cannot compensate the oil price increase with the weakness of the USD vs the €.
When they will shift from SK to €, in 2012, the cost for them is going to be tremendous.

As far as the language is concerned I believe that GERMAN and ENGLISH being already the main European languages will most probably become the official languages of the EEC in a few decades.

Last but not least I don't believe that neither governement nor language can REALLY unify Europe.The main 'cement' has to be European nationalism.
And that is going to take a looooong time.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:26 AM

I standtactfully corrected.....But this is basically splitting hairs..

Old 06-27-2007, 08:01 AM

ORIGINAL: Dennis

It usually is when proven wrong with little margin hehehehee :P

Old 06-27-2007, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

OK. The three of you make me feel uneducated, stupid and ignorant. I just wanted to tell you thanks! [:@] Obviously working in the second largest lawfirm in the world for 9 years hasn't done a damn bit of good. I shall now go read a book about world economics. Thank you.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:04 AM

ORIGINAL: Jmm

To make a long story short, I disagree with both Nick and Dennis on the following points:

1/ The European Union has the largest economy in the world. The EU economy is expected to grow further over the next decade as more countries join the union - especially considering that the new States are usually poorer than the EU average, and hence the expected fast GDP growth will help achieve the dynamic of the united Europe.
So, to the contrary to what Dennis has said the EEC economy is significantly larger than the USA one.

Rank Country GDP (millions of USD) —
Gross world product 48,144,466 —
Japan 4,367,459

2/ EURO was the best financial move EVER made by the EEC and no, Sweden would have not been 'ruined' if they had choosen to shift from the SK to the €.
Quiet the contrary actually!since Sweden import most of its mass consumers good from the EEC and pay in EURO.that alone cut about 0.5 to 0.8 % to the country growth.
plus Sweden has to buy oil in Dollars and cannot compensate the oil price increase with the weakness of the USD vs the €.
When they will shift from SK to €, in 2012, the cost for them is going to be tremendous.

As far as the language is concerned I believe that GERMAN and ENGLISH being already the main European languages will most probably become the official languages of the EEC in a few decades.

Last but not least I don't believe that neither governement nor language can REALLY unify Europe.The main 'cement' has to be European nationalism.
And that is going to take a looooong time.
Um, 2012 shift, cost is going to be tremendous .. that is almost verbatim, with the exception of the year of course, what was said the FIRST time they tried to push that crap on them (us). I guess that would have been a more appropriate way of stating it rather than "ruining them". Yes, the initial "cost of ownership" is going to be enormous ... I would be seriously surprised if it went to the polls again and passed!

As far as the european nationalism, that's a tough one. We as Swedes were stripped of that while I was still a kid. No longer allowed to sing the anthem at graduation. If you sported a Swedish flag on your jacket you were considered a racist. It was damn near considered wrong or ugly back in those days. Not sure if the climate has changed in the last 10 years or not ... but European nationalism is probably a catch phrase better left alone, just the thought of Germany and nationalism will make the hairs stand up on A LOT of people.
Personally I don't think the "United States of Europe" will ever be a reality ... it's way too diverse, and not just from a people perspective but politically and religiously as well.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:54 AM

ORIGINAL: ZYNE

ORIGINAL: Dennis

It usually is when proven wrong with little margin hehehehee :P
Ah...the proverbial last word...

Old 06-27-2007, 11:47 AM

Ya damn well know I couldn't let you slip with THAT comment LOL! Whoooooooooops, I nailed ya again, didn't I! LOL!