PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Press ONE for English?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 10:45 AM
Default RE: Press ONE for English?

I meant in retrospect to Post #5

Old 06-25-2007, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

"English is the language of this land"

I find that ironic considering the Indians were the natives of our land until the British came to claim it for themselves

Old 06-25-2007, 10:54 AM

Re-read my post above Mikey..I pretty much put that arguement to shame..

when the English colonist left the English oppression to settle and develop this land, the so-called Native people were in fact immigrants themselves (look it up). There was no one unified language and therefore, there was no unified country, sorta like how Europe still is today..

Old 06-25-2007, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

I was just playing Devil's Advocate. Ya know, when the British stole this land from the Indians, their plan was tocreate giant lakes of Tea and charge people to swim in it to prevent ageing.....................

Old 06-25-2007, 11:12 AM

Ah, I see...you little devil

Old 06-25-2007, 12:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Dennis

Re-read my post above Mikey..I pretty much put that arguement to shame..

when the English colonist left the English oppression to settle and develop this land, the so-called Native people were in fact immigrants themselves (look it up). There was no one unified language and therefore, there was no unified country, sorta like how Europe still is today..
That's just the definition of "country" Den ... I'm sure the Indians looked at things just a wee bit different than we did at the time. In fact, they never "owned" the land like we do, they were apart of it. They don't have or didn't have I should say, that concept like we did back then and still do today.

Stating the lack of a unified language as a root cause of a non unified country I think is to greatly simplify things. Look at Canada for example, they have two languages and they are VERY much a unified country with established borders. Many European countries have several "native" languages as well, and yes, they are unified countries. I don't think your argument holds up here. However, with this said you can draw another line instead. No unified governement, no set laws, no set currency, NOW we're talking about things that definie a country .. well that and a couple of borders. Once a Government has been put in place, of any kind, militia, dictatorship, democracy, whatever, that is more of a defining instance than language. That is an indicator of a ruling instace, a set of common rules/laws we abide to, whetherit'sbased on fear as in a dictatorship or militia, or based on.. well fear of going to priso for example, isnot relevant ....

I can NOT believe I'm tootin' the governement horn here, I should be shot on principle for even thinking it!!!!!!!!! *bleh* I need to scrub my fingers with bleech to get the stench out of em !!!! LOL!!!!

Old 06-25-2007, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

I personally don't believe anybody in this world has the right to tell anybody else how to live their lives because there are no "rules" when you are born as to what you can and can't say, do or not do and the whole thought of another human being in the world having any kind of right to tell you what your rights are is rediculous, since the world didn't start out that way, but unfortunately has progressed over time that way. We are all human beings and some of the rules people are forced to live by all over the world are just abserd, and people these days, meaning governments, have gotten so carried away that they believe they are Gods, dictating how and what you do and what you say and so forth. The whole idea and theory behind it is rediculous. Crimes should be punishable but some are absurd.

I still like my Tea theory Maybe the world should all speak a unified Pig Latin and we will all laugh ourselves silly.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:11 PM

Did I just read what I think I just read!? Did you just dog the concept of government!?!?!! In that case ... allow me ... THERE'S HOPE FOR US ALL, STILL!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!
All I gotto say is .. people don't start war .... governments do! And you're right, there's just that little itty bitty issue of the god complex bit .... that and craming their pockets as full of money as possible before they leave office. Pick a "democracy" anywhere in the world and you'll see itgoing on ...

Old 06-25-2007, 02:02 PM

This getting too deep..

But I will say my point about the colonist and the Native people is an example that had nothing to do with government setting political boarders or laws but more of a cultural thing and how it keep the Native peoples so far apart in their thinking and traditions..So it is a sound argument, I beg your pardon...We white folk would not be on these new fangled computers had the Indians been more unified culturally...And don't kid yourself, the Indians had very well defined boundaries to their claimed territories... Europe is a Hodge podge of countries that can ALL fit in the State of Texas,but if they were unified they would not be countries, but something like States...So your point on that is mute.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Dennis

This getting too deep..

But I will say my point about the colonist and the Native people is an example that had nothing to do with government setting political boarders or laws but more of a cultural thing and how it keep the Native peoples so far apart in their thinking and traditions..So it is a sound argument, I beg your pardon...We white folk would not be on these new fangled computers had the Indians been more unified culturally...And don't kid yourself, the Indians had very well defined boundaries to their claimed territories... Europe is a Hodge podge of countries that can ALL fit in the State of Texas,but if they were unified they would not be countries, but something like States...So your point on that is mute.

< Message edited by Dennis -- 6/25/2007 2:06:45 PM >
(inside joke)

[sm=bustedsign.gif]

Quick Reply: Press ONE for English?