PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prefered oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 07:52 AM
Default RE: Prefered oil filter

More on filters:

Keep in mind that except for Fram, the filters I evaluated are all random samples of a product line that may or may not totally represent the entire product line of each brand. The comparisons I made are with the full understanding that any filter a manufacturer sells is representative of its product line, but not necessarily its newest release or technology.

[ul]ACDelco β€” No consistency in technology between part numbers. Some are better quality than others.
AMSOIL β€” Be sure to ask for the new Ea series, which is my pick for the highest quality synthetic filter. I liked its center tube and base plate best. Remember ACDelco also has an industrial line of oil filters, as well as synthetic air cleaner filters.
Arnold β€” OPE applications. Only three threads on the base plate are unacceptable.
Baldwin β€” Industrial quality, media type and beta values are good.
Cub Cadet β€” Same manufacturer as Firestone. I am not impressed with the nitrile A-D.
Champ β€” Inexpensive design.
Champion Air β€” Made by Champion (same icon as Champion Spark Plugs). I was told there are three companies with the Champion name that make filters. Be careful to look for the aircraft supplier.
Donaldson β€” Industrial quality that provides superior low-micron filtration.
FilterMag β€” Very large external C-shaped industrial, clamp-on magnet. Excellent product with sizes to fit all filter canisters or shells (see β€œEngine Oil Filters (Part V)” in May 2006 OPE).
Firestone β€” Manufacturer unknown. Inexpensive design.
Fram β€” Varies by part number from OEM specifications to excellent advanced filtration.
John Deere β€” Out-sources to different manufacturers. There’s no indication of the latest technology in the three filters I examined. I’m disappointed!
John Deere (OPE application) β€” Possibly Fram or a subsidiary is the manufacturer. If this is made by Fram, it is its least-expensive design.
Kohler β€” Same manufacturer as Toro’s filter. Excellent component quality (see the Internet spreadsheet).
Kubota β€” Industrial quality to provide superior filtration. Only original OEM filter incorporating an industrial-quality circular magnet surrounding the oil inlet holes.
Mann β€” Above average as it did not use a nitrile A-D.
Magna-Gard β€” Rectangular center tube magnets. Excellent product that fits all filters (see β€œEngine Oil Filters (Part V)” in May 2006 OPE).
Mighty β€” Inexpensive design, but looks like good quality.
Mileguard β€” Similarities to Champ and Fram PH level filters.
Mobile β€” Various manufacturers like Champ labs, MotorCraft and Fleetguard. It doesn’t appear to be the principle manufacturer. Quality varies by part number. Several manufacturer defects (see the Internet spreadsheet).
Mopar β€” Similar to Wix’s design.
MotorCraft β€” Some filters are using old technology, and others are using new technology.
Napa β€” Wix distributors are proud to point out that they supply Napa filters. One thing I did find out is that Wix has a more comprehensive assortment of filters than Napa seems to carry.
Parts Master β€” Looks like Purolator.
Pennzoil β€” Low-end Fram PH series.
Purolator β€” Above-average advertising. Sears sells Purolator, but don’t expect it to put one in your car when it changes the oil. By request only!
Security β€” Low-end Fram PH series.
Supertech β€” Good average filter. I consider this filter a very inexpensive filter sold at Wal-Mart, yet a good buy for light-duty automotive gas engine use. Average use means good maintenance practices with quality oil and minimum time between scheduled oil-change intervals called out for by the manufacturer.
STP β€” Inexpensive design.
Toro β€” Same manufacturer as Kohler. Excellent-quality components. Same Kohler base plate design, but less medium per canister size (see the Internet spreadsheet).
Toyota β€” Large surface ar

Old 11-08-2007, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

The Kohler filters are pricey.... we have to getthem shipped in from Germany for the 27l Volvo-Penta.... I think I will cut the next set up to see what they look like. They feel heavy and have a pretty think canister.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:42 PM

Seems to me like Wix and Amsoil are two good bets as well as most Frams. I had to laugh when I saw Toyota was "Old technology."

Old 11-08-2007, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

I kinda like the Amsoil dealer deal.... pay the $60 and get the discounts.... It would be worth it for me to do it if I could get a couple more interested in the synthetics... and it's almost worth it just for what I could have saved when I did the 2...