PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Power Fold Mirrors - How To Repair Video

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by oceanbrave
Actually dont think its possible for it to be the wiring, I've traced it all out and as you can see the wiring is the same for whichever direction the motor is driven. THe only difference between extend and retract is in the serial data sent from the BCM. I'm not saying it cant be the door control module as there could be othe factors in play, but it can't be the wiring, anyway there are no circuit breaks, cracks, corrosion, everything looks 100% clean and measures less than 0.1ohms throughout.

Also the 4-way pad does work. Although my driver's side power fold doesnt work (yet to fix) I can hear the motor trying to retract but not extend, the exact opposite of the passenger side. This tells me the BCM is seeing the switch for both extend and retract. Also the mirrors work in all directions, both sides.

Maybe the problem with the driver's side its inhibiting the passenger side but it seems odd it should operate that way.

By the way the door control module is pretty sophisticated, it has a Freescale (Motorola) 8-Bit Microcontroller with 60KB of on-board flash, 1KB of security flash, 2KB of RAM, there are numerous other chips that seem to be monitoring current drain etc. Would love to get my hands on the circuit diagram.
If both driver and passenger mirror fails to retract or extend, it's the 3 way (left-center-right) mirror rocker switch on driver door. Pull that 3 way rocker switch out of the door assembly and open it up. The 3 way rocker will have contacts that switch circuits left or right and in center position, bridges both (maybe). It may have its own path to the controller chip, although unlikely.

If just one side fails to operate, and rocker switches check out, than its wiring or connector issues to passenger door mirror.

The controller chip you replaced is a switch that changes polarity of current to pin 9 out1 and pin 12 out2. Out1 goes 12 volt positive the mirror retracts, out2 should then be negative. When out2 goes 12 volt positive, out1 should go negative.

The 3 way rocker tells the circuit logic in the controller to do this left-center-right control if the 4 way switch is actuated in either of its 4 left-right-up-down options.

Just my 2cent worth of brain activity.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:36 AM

Thanks for that LenyLexx, however the rocker switch and the 4-way pad work fine. I know this because the left-front mirror attempts to retract, but not extend, and the right-front mirror does extend but never attempts to retract.

At the end of my video you can see this is confirmed by the two LED strips I attached, the polarity of Out1/Out2 determines which strip illuminates, again the retract never even tries, not for a millisecond. The point of using the LEDs is to take out of the equation any kind of overload current as they draw only 20mA and they are instantaneous to see.

I honestly don't believe it can the wiring or the switches, how can the wiring be good just for one direction only, there are only two wires! How can it be the 4-way switch as both left and right generate activity?

Somehow the door controller is not issuing the command to the chip, so I think it must be software rather than hardware.

For those who interested, the attached is part of the door controller circuit involved.

Attached Thumbnails Power Fold Mirrors - How To Repair Video-hummer-door-module.jpg  

Last edited by oceanbrave; 03-16-2017 at 06:42 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:34 PM
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by MixManSC
I went out and fiddled with the Tech2 .....
I'm working on a theory about the fold/unfold, I'll come back to that later.

Not sure about the 5V terminology is refering to, but in the mirror connector (just the sensor cable) there are 4 wires, Pin1 5V Ref, Pin2 Mirror Vertical Sensor, Pin3 Low Ref, Pin4 Mirror Horizontal Sensor. Now I do know the sensors are just simple 3K7 Ohm thumb-wheel potentiometers and probably used to record the positions of the memory functions, I'll bet the 5V Ref and Low Ref go accross the two pots and that the wipers connect to the "Sensors" pins (feedback). It may also be that the voltage you see is the position value (pot voltage) for the last mirror-axis moved, but this is just a guess.

Coming back to my fold/unfold issue, my thinking is that if I cant find anything wrong then perhaps there isnt anything wrong. So as my left-front arm is still inoperable and both arms always move together, perhaps the BCM logic detects this fault and is inhibiting the retract function. So now I need to fix the fron-left

Thanks again for investigatng with the Tech2, cant wait to get mine!

Last edited by oceanbrave; 03-19-2017 at 12:37 PM.