PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

painting the grill

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 08:25 PM
JNR

It's really not that bad, but then again I enjoy doing that sort of thing :d As they say, it's all in the prep, so if you don't want to do that then yeah, maybe take it to a reasonable shop. It always ends up costing our time or our money, or both, so make sure to get it done right the 1st time (shame to ruin a nice vehicle with a crappy accent paint job).

I'll probably do the same thing though. Although I haven't decided if it's worth it to source a spare grill now and keep the chrome for when I sell (some people prefer)...You know what looks good, but a little trickier to spray is a hammertone, or similar, finish, in a dark charcoal, to match the plastic pieces...I don't know though, so many options on these things and I think why I like them so much.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:50 AM

well i found this shop that would do the grill for a 100 bucks and the rims (all 5) for 90 bucks

and they may give me discount for doing both of them at the same time

i will C wheneven i get my paycheck

Old 03-16-2009, 07:42 PM

I strongly recommend powder coating the rims instead of painting them. Paint is sprayed by a gun that will not allow the finish to lay perfectly even. It will look good for a while, but will never hold up under wear and heat. Powder coating uses an electric charge to align particles of paint helping them stick to the metal. Once they are baked, the finish smooths out very well and is three times as strong as any clear coat finish would ever be. Especially if you can find powder coat that has Teflon or ceramic in the mix!

If you have to pull the tires off the rims to have them painted anyway, think about buying a set of cheap factory rims from Ebay, have them powder coated, then pull the swap. You can always resell the factory rims AS IS. Or go through the trouble of have that pair coated and resell them on eBay when your finished! Black powder coated H3 rims sell like hot cakes!

Old 03-17-2009, 09:37 AM

I had my factory rims powder coated. They turned out very well. I investigated paint, but went with powder doating due to durability. I paid $70 a wheel. I also bought an extra set of rims on Ebay for this project. I have a spare set to sell. I just want to get out of them what I have in them.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:43 PM

yeahhh

powder coating is exactly what im thinking of doing