PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

painting the grill

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 12:49 PM
Default painting the grill

HI guys

i just bought a black side steps for my white H3, universal black mud flaps (the flexible ones), and a black cover for the spare tire .. and next im thinking to paint the chrome grill white as same as the rest of the car and paint the stock rims black
just like that
Name:  pic_blog_shaken_up.jpg
Views: 3227
Size:  36.9 KB
but without painting the mirrors and the door handles

and that will finish my work on the exterior and then imma work things under the hood (^_^)

i just wanna know ur opinions about that and if u have any better ideas plzz share (^_^)

peace

Old 03-11-2009, 01:27 PM
Default Painting your grille

If you had a base grille i.e. not chromed or painted, you would have little problem in painting it white (body color) then clear coat
If you want to paint over chrome, that is another matter.
You could use a product called "Bulldog Adhesion Promoter" They claim this product can be used to paint over chromed plastic. I did use this product on a acrylic bug shield and then painted the bug shield body color, then clear coated and it worked out great. You can't even scrape the painted surface with your finger nail.
If you have the money you can order body colored grilles from GM accessories,

Link, http://gmaccessoriesstore.com/grille...th=426_427_439

Old 03-11-2009, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by wfturner
If you had a base grille i.e. not chromed or painted, you would have little problem in painting it white (body color) then clear coat
If you want to paint over chrome, that is another matter.
You could use a product called "Bulldog Adhesion Promoter" They claim this product can be used to paint over chromed plastic. I did use this product on a acrylic bug shield and then painted the bug shield body color, then clear coated and it worked out great. You can't even scrape the painted surface with your finger nail.
If you have the money you can order body colored grilles from GM accessories,

Link, http://gmaccessoriesstore.com/grille...th=426_427_439

thanxx for passing by and for the info

but are those just replacements for the grill ?

Last edited by 3bo0odi; 03-11-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:56 PM

Those grilles listed on the web link I sent you are factory replacement grilles
You would buy a NEW white painted grille from them and install it yourself
You would hang onto the original chrome grille or try to sell it, like I did.

If you go back to the link I sent you and backup several steps you can see the pictures of the other grilles they have shots of
They just don't have pictures of the white grille

Last edited by wfturner; 03-11-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by wfturner
Those grilles listed on the web link I sent you are factory replacement grilles
You would buy a NEW white painted grille from them and install it yourself
You would hang onto the original chrome grille or try to sell it, like I did.

nice to know that .. thanxx

anyone who has another idea plzz share (*_*)

Old 03-11-2009, 05:07 PM

There are only two ideas
paint the one you have or buy a white grille, duh.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:28 PM

hhhhhhhhhhh

i dunno anything creative and looks good

Old 03-14-2009, 09:56 PM
JNR

if you paint the chrome grill, just be sure to scuff it up real good (even 400 grit) and use a good primer and the paint...works pretty good, but there's no going back should you choose to want the chrome; just have to replace. So, it's possible, just prepping is key so that it sticks.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:13 AM

Chrome is technically a metallic finish, even when applied over plastic. That being said, it is a very thin layer of chrome on the original H3 grills. Instead of sanding all day with a high grit paper, start low, 80 grit. Do not press down as you will groove the plastic. Once things are scuffed well, work your way up with lighter sand paper. 80, 120, 220, 320, 400. Sounds like a pain, but this way is quick at removing the chromed finish or taking it down and keeping things smooth when finished.

Once done, Spray a light coat of metal etching primer that will "bite the residual chrome finish. Once that dries it may be necessary to add a buildable smoothing primer and sand with 600 grit. Then just paint away!

If you decide to use a single stage finish (no clear coat) stick with a named brand product like Krylon Premium, or Rustomleum. If you decide on two staging, Meaning a base coat then a clear. Spray the base coat with a flat black or semi gloss paint, let it dry for an hour or more, then clear coat over that. First coat tack only, then two medium wet coats and one heavy coat. All with at least a ten minute flash interval between coats. Following the paint manufactures directions is a must!

Old 03-15-2009, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by BrickWurX Mfg.
Chrome is technically a metallic finish, even when applied over plastic. That being said, it is a very thin layer of chrome on the original H3 grills. Instead of sanding all day with a high grit paper, start low, 80 grit. Do not press down as you will groove the plastic. Once things are scuffed well, work your way up with lighter sand paper. 80, 120, 220, 320, 400. Sounds like a pain, but this way is quick at removing the chromed finish or taking it down and keeping things smooth when finished.

Once done, Spray a light coat of metal etching primer that will "bite the residual chrome finish. Once that dries it may be necessary to add a buildable smoothing primer and sand with 600 grit. Then just paint away!

If you decide to use a single stage finish (no clear coat) stick with a named brand product like Krylon Premium, or Rustomleum. If you decide on two staging, Meaning a base coat then a clear. Spray the base coat with a flat black or semi gloss paint, let it dry for an hour or more, then clear coat over that. First coat tack only, then two medium wet coats and one heavy coat. All with at least a ten minute flash interval between coats. Following the paint manufactures directions is a must!
woow

thats alota work ..now u r making me think to drop my H3 in a paint shop .. and save time

but i have not decided yet weather painting the grill first or the rims ... cant do both at the same time .. coz im on very tight budget (college student) :P

Quick Reply: painting the grill