PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating while towing

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 01:34 AM
Default RE: Overheating while towing

Like mentioned, I'd have the system checked, sicne it's under warranty, it certainly is in your best interest to do so.

Is very possible that the heat being generated by the tranny is over heating the engine. The small factory style cooler that most auto's use, runs into the radiator, and if it's getting hot, will decrease the cooling ability of the radiator for the engine as well as the tranny. I'm sure if they would have installed a tranny temp gauge you would have probably seen an increase in temps there too. I've said before that the 4L60E is a good tranny, but very picky too... and can be easy to damage due to overheating. I do agree that is seems like too light of a load to cause it, but I toasted mine with no trailer in tow. IMO everyone with one should be running an aftermarket cooler. Plainly put, it will incrase the life of your tranny even even if if you don't tow. Off roading on something like soft sand can have the same effect, if not worse, as towing a heavy load. The bogging feeling that can often be felt always translates into increased heat on the tranny & cooling system. So, it isn't just those who tow, who need to think about protecting their trannys via aftermarket coolers.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:29 PM

ORIGINAL: cgnd3000

Ok thanks guys, i'm going to have the system checked out. I know the radiator isn't cloged since it only has 600 miles and we got it with 11 miles. We haven't been any place where the radiator could have gotten clogged.

Hey Little Monster, do you have the automatic trans? How hot is the temp. outside when you tow over 2000lbs?

Has anyone heard of a trans cooler for the H3? How good are they?
I have an auto transmission...Hilly but not mountainous but there is this one hill in
Rushford NY that slows me to 55 mph from 65 for 2 milesbut the temp stays put...Last week it was84 degrees when I was towing.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:17 PM

Hey were you the white H3 there at High Desert?

[IMG]local://upfiles/2323/63A6FF5E78A6492FA9AF17C6E8775BC7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-30-2007, 09:32 PM

I have the same problem, and I contact my dealer the first time I notice that, they told that it is normal, since it has too low power for towing too much weight. when I tow there are big distances and heavy trailers, such as watercraft, trailer for 3 quads. Once my h3 turned off, because of missing power, the truck could`t go up over a hill with a small trailer. I had to pull over and wait for the truck to cool down. After that I haven`t seen any problem at all, inclusive it gets less temperature than before.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:41 PM

2 words.....

Synthetic Oil!!!!

Old 06-04-2007, 11:09 PM

Ok guys, haven't been to the dealer yet. But my girlfriend whent to Bakersfield, California this past weekend, we live in L.A. She wasn't towing anything but drove up the Grape Vine, which is elevations of about 4000 feet above sea level. and the tranny still over heated. Mind you that the temps where in the 90's, but she wasn't towing anything. We have 33 inch tires, coun't that be the cause too?

P.S. We just got our Exhaust from Gibson, read about it under the Exhaust section.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:33 AM

ORIGINAL: cgnd3000

Ok guys, haven't been to the dealer yet. But my girlfriend whent to Bakersfield, California this past weekend, we live in L.A. She wasn't towing anything but drove up the Grape Vine, which is elevations of about 4000 feet above sea level. and the tranny still over heated. Mind you that the temps where in the 90's, but she wasn't towing anything. We have 33 inch tires, coun't that be the cause too?

P.S. We just got our Exhaust from Gibson, read about it under the Exhaust section.
somthing is not right... take it in for service.

I towed a 69 VW Bug on a 2 wheel car dolly think 1500 miles and had zero problem.(From St Louis to Cheyenne)

Old 06-05-2007, 05:13 PM

I noticed when my car was brand new it was really low on coolant, also I noticed a difference when I changed my oil to Amsoil 25 K mile Syn oil.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:02 PM

There is something wrong. I pulled close to 4,000 pounds for 300 miles while moving between homes. My temp ran right below the line between normal and over heating but was very stable there, and this was on a 93 degree day in Houston, Texas and keeping the tranny in third to eliminate the constant downshifting. I'm also running 35's as well.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:44 AM

ORIGINAL: HummBob

2 words.....

Synthetic Oil!!!!
+1, Just had Castrol synthetic put in this week..

Quick Reply: Overheating while towing