PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Off-Road Purchase Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 08:01 PM
Default Off-Road Purchase Questions

I'm getting started on off-road purchases and would appreciate some feedback. Have to buy one piece at a time or hubby will go ballistic. 1st item, hopefully tomorrow if I get feedback quick enough, will be the Hi-Lift jack. I was looking at the 60" extreme because it can also be used as a winch and the winch will have to be a later purchase. Also the base & whatever I need to attach it to the car. One concern is the weight as hubby doesn't think I'll be able to carry it. He said it's about 65 pounds & we buy dog food in 55 lb bags which are difficult for me. I can pick them up but it's a chore & I can't afford to hurt my back. Now chances are I will probably be off-roading with him there anyway but I don't want to only be able to off-road with him as his schedule doesn't permit as much as mine. So, do the smaller jacks weigh that much less & would it be worth it. I'm gonna be spending the money regardless so I don't want to be in a situation where I needed the larger jack; I'd rather just get the jack I need in the beginning. But hubby has a come-along so I don't have to have the extreme if the smaller ones are that much lighter & will more than do the job. I know they make a base for it which I intend to get at the same time. Next question is the mounting attachment. I see there have been a couple questions about this but the only solid answer seems to be the roof rack; don't have that yet either. Isn't there a mount or a way to mount it to the spare tire & to lock it? If so, what & where do I get it. I can get the jack here at Northern Tool & Equipment down near Houston, TX. Next, I've also read that I should have a fire extinguisher? Will get that with this stuff too if so. Last question, what should be my next purchase? I'm wanting to go off-roading as soon as possible but don't want to go without the necessities. I have the 2006 H3 Adventure Package with stock underarmor. Have been told I need to change the stock underarmor. Need a winch, brush gaurd to hold it, roof rack, KC lights, & whatever else I don't know about. At what point can I finally go play with it? I know it's a lot of questions but would really appreciate your expertise as i get a whole week & a half vacation the week after next & would love to go somewhere then like Marble Falls.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

The jack doesn't weigh anywhere near 65 #s. my wife is 5'6", weighs 110#s and easily handles the hi lift. The base is a good accessory as is the tire lift attachment. A fire ext is a good idea to have in the truck. UCP and rocker panel protection would be high on the list as would a tow strap and clevises. A spare half shaft and tie rod would be good. There is a group going to Marble Falls on the 19th of this month. Mostly experienced people but a few newbies. You are welcome to come along if it isn't too far for you.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:08 PM

I would forget all the stuff on your list for now except the UCP (protect the heart of your vehicle first), fire extinguisher and get a nice yank strap with 2 shackles (Clevis w/screw pin) because you are not going to go out "off-roading" by yourself. A CB for communication is a pretty nice thing also. Always wheel with another rig.

IF you are wheeling alone you will need a LOT MORE recovery/survival equipment and supplies than you think. You will also need to know how and when to use all of said equipment and supplies BEFORE you hit the trail.

Depending on where you are wheeling, Rock Rails might be a logical next purchase (protect the body). The OEM jack in the rear door should suffice for now.

PS: please resist calling your HUMMER a "car".

Last edited by TAINTER; 01-07-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:53 AM

@3Hummers: I would absolutely love to go. That just happens to be the week I'm off work. Trying to talk hubby into going. I may not have the UCP by then, would that be ok on the level 1 & 2 trails or is it a must 1st? What time do you guys show up? I'm assuming early so hopefully I'm not a zombie as I work nights. Do y'all only stay for the day or do you camp? If you say it's ok for me to stick to the 1/2 trails & don't mind a newb tagging along then I'll show up with someone. Will try to have the UCP by then. If not & you say don't then I will catch y'all the next time.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:26 AM

bendyprissy, you are lucky to be located in Texas to be able to wheel with the Texas Hummer group - great people and some of the most experienced and knowledgeable wheelers in the US (I've had the pleasure of meeting and wheeling with a lot of them in Moab). They won't steer you wrong and they know what they are doing. Good luck building/modding your rig. You will soon be hooked!

Old 01-07-2013, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

You will be fine. They will take care of you.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

The time may change by 30 minutes but I will let you know. They are meeting at the Adventure Falls park office at 9:00 AM on the 19th. I know Candi will be there. She drives and orange H3 set up just about how I think you will want your truck set up. She just has the most important stuff. If you decide you are going I will send you some contact info. You need an Offroad sticker for your truck. Costs about $10.00 and can get them all over the place. Hope you can make it.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:26 AM

Will definitely be there. At least another female will be there...no offense guys. If nothing else I can see what I need to get & figure out some basics. Thanks for the invite.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Great. Send me your contact information and I will get you on the list and get you the contact information for Matt who will be leading this run.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:41 PM

You can offroad your H3 just as it is. You will however have to limit yourself based on how you are equipped. Of course, that is ALWAYS the case.

Most of the time you will be limited by your experience more than by the rig. Going out with an experienced group to gain experience is a really smart move, so you are already thinking smarter than most newbies.