PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off-road lights + marker lights combo

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 10:27 PM
Default RE: Off-road lights + marker lights combo

I had run two wires (+ and ground) from the rear lights because this particular LED light, even though it grounds by the retaining screw, because the corner pieces were plastic (hence couldn't ground through it), I had to run a ground wire as well...

For the front lights, rather than buying the entire marker light set, I thought to save $ by just buying the components... I boughtthe left and right light pieces from here:

http://hummer.autowebaccessories.com...1309_13004.php

The left piece (I think) came chipped, but the folks were really good about it, and arranged for a pick up for the return and shipped me a replacement once they received the damaged one...

The only problem with the light pieces was I had thought they came with bulbs/wiring, but they just came with the plastic piece! And it was supposed to require some bulb assembly (which I assume would come with the marker light set, which I didn't order)... But that was an overall blessing in disguise for me I guess because I had really wanted to use LEDs instead of bulbs (don't have to change dead bulbs every now and then too)..

So what I had done was to buy LED lights from my local pepboys, drill out the back of the marker piece, put the LED light in and silicone like crazy to seal the gaps.. here are some pics

Old 07-20-2007, 10:31 PM

Plastic piece with back drilled out into a square hole for LED light:
Name:  IMG_8803a.jpg
Views: 6458
Size:  44.3 KB

Picture of the LED light I bought, with one already siliconed into one of the marker pieces and the other still with the original round hole for the bulb assembly

Name:  IMG_8798a.jpg
Views: 6385
Size:  52.0 KB

And here is the front view of the pieces
Name:  IMG_8801a.jpg
Views: 6400
Size:  54.1 KB

Old 07-20-2007, 10:41 PM

Once the lights were sorted out, I took the front corner pieces off (two screws behind the plastic seal by the front doors, and couple of clips that you could just pull to release). Drilled the necessary holes for the plastic pieces, including a central hole to run the LED wires through. Repeated for other side. This sorted out the mechanical installation of the front corner marker lights.

For the installation of the middle two marker lights, instead of buying the OEM marker pieces at $40 a pop which are also pretty large occupying much of the center space, I went with the eastmarine pieces again, only this time amber in color.

http://shop.easternmarine.com/index....categoryID=285

Took off the off-road light bar off(couple of screws on the top, had to cut the wire powering the lights so I could take it down), drilled the necessary holes for the LEDs andmounted them. Reconnected the off-road lights wires with quick connects, wired up the LEDs (2 wires per LED) and put the off-road light bar back. Then wired up the corner plastic pieces (again 2 wires per LED).

Regarding the power source for the lights, I contemplated pulling them from the front hood (somewhere from the side marker lights) but they seemed too difficult to get to/wasn't obvious, so I decided to just pull them from the back marker lights as well... there's a condiut running below the roof rails front to back, so I just tapped into the back corner lights and pulled two wires to the front (for both sides). Connected them to the front lights (so all marker lights installed in parallel), reinstalled the front corner frame pieces, reinstalled the front door seal and I think that was pretty much it...

So far the lights have been holding good, I must have used up like 3 rolls of black electrical tape to make sure everything that could be water-damaged waterproof...

Hope that helps! Let me know if you need more details!

Darryl

Old 07-20-2007, 10:45 PM

Forgot one more pic, here's the pic of the back of the light bar with the lights attached (hard to tell except for the screws)..

Name:  IMG_8879a.jpg
Views: 6426
Size:  65.4 KB

Old 07-22-2007, 09:54 PM

I just received my lights and am just about ready to take a deep breath anddive in. When I wire the rear marker lights which color wire do I connect with. Also as the marker lights are mounted into plastic how did you ground them .

Old 07-23-2007, 07:52 AM

Bonzaii, hopefully you have the same wiring colors as I do... the best way is to check with a multimeter which I did... If I remember correctly (its been a while), there are four wires going to the rear lamp assembly, ground (black), driving lights (brown), reverse (green), brake light (??? don't remember).... I believe I used the brown and black wires.

I ran 2 wires (ground and positive) from the marker lights because you're right, its mounted in plastic (hence you can't ground to the retaining screw). Let me know how it goes.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:05 PM

Thanks bobopotato
I'm actually installing the light bar also, so today I'm going to mount the marker lights onto the light bar and hook up the wiring and swtch inside.
Then on Thursday I'll install the 2 outside marker lights and finish the light bar, I'm going to wait until next week to go for the rear marker lights, I figure it's better to go slow and easy. Wish me luck!!

Old 07-27-2007, 11:17 PM

Any chance you could take a close up picture of the fromt light bar. I want to see how far forward it sits. I've got the inside wiring done and the marker lights installed on the light bar and just nned to install the light bar itself.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:42 PM

ORIGINAL: bonzaiii

Any chance you could take a close up picture of the fromt light bar. I want to see how far forward it sits. I've got the inside wiring done and the marker lights installed on the light bar and just nned to install the light bar itself.
Bonzaiii, check these out.. check out the position of the lightbar vs the front windscreen, check out the position of the lightbar vs the front corner piece and check out the lightbar vs the onstar antenna... see if that helps... my lightbar was factory installed so hopefully they did a pretty decent job at getting the right position. From what I see, it seems to be positioned ok.

Name:  IMG_8900a.jpg
Views: 6471
Size:  48.5 KB

Name:  IMG_8896a.jpg
Views: 6483
Size:  43.6 KB

Name:  IMG_8893a.jpg
Views: 6406
Size:  38.0 KB

Old 08-01-2007, 06:54 PM

Those pics are perfect, just what I needed.
Short of running the wires from the back tail lights all the way to the front marker lamps does anyone know what wires in the engine compartment 9Color, Location) are for the rear tail lights ? I figure I'm already running the wires for the light bar into the engine compartment so I may as well run the wires for the marker lights there also.

Quick Reply: Off-road lights + marker lights combo