PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise from rear cargo door

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 01:10 AM
Default RE: Noise from rear cargo door

Sorry Alrock, Didn't mean to jinx you :-)

Please note no to put there a towel that is too thick. It will cause you a serious problem when you try top open the door.

I had the exact same problem with y previous SUV (Isuzu Rodeo), and after visiting the car shop for the 4th time, I just gave up and used the towel method for 5 years, until I sold it.

Let me know hoe you fix your problem

Have a good day

Haim

Old 08-26-2007, 10:54 AM

i was just curious do you guys pay attention when opening and closing doors and only use enough force that is needed to get the latch to catch or do you all just give the door a swing and let it bang shut? I am trying not to be ignorant i am just wondering because i have some experience in bodywork and i am very strict on how hard my doors on the h3 get opened and closed in the thoughts of preserving the tightness of the h3 in the long run.................so far 53 000 km and no problems.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:59 AM

ORIGINAL: alrock

ORIGINAL: haiminger

Alrok,
I was trying to avoid this part (going to the dealer) but I guess you are correct. Have to pay him a visit

I think you jinxed me haiminger, or maybe all H3s are programmed to do this in late August. My rear door started rattling around today offroad. Sounded like big heavy clunking, like the door wasn't fully latched. I used your proven trick of a towel on the latch to quiet the sound. Looks like I'll have the dealer address it whenever I get my steering shaft fix.
[/align]
Got me too!!! Doesnt bother me too much though. I was at the dealer yesterday for a happening, they said to just bring it in and they should be able tocheck it outwhile they do the next oil change.

Old 08-26-2007, 11:47 AM

What do you mean by enough force ? I just swing the door and it sems closed. I do not have a way to realy know if the latch cathes on 100% or not (I presume is does not, since the problem is here).

Any suggestions how to check this or how to close the door properly

I do get bothered by this kind of noise, especialy while I'm off-road (about once a week). The sound of one metal touching another can make me go nuts.

Old 08-26-2007, 03:03 PM

"quote" What do you mean by enough force ? I just swing the door and it sems closed...............................

exactly what i am talking about............. i always hang on to the door right untill it is latched and do not let it close by itself that way it does not slam hard because with a heavy door like that closing it too hard can knock the latch and those plastic guides out of alignment then the door is loose which causes your banging.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:31 PM

Here's what I did, but I don't know if the dealer would do the same. When I closemy back door, it doesn't sound solid - kinda reverberates a little. When I go over bumps I hear a heavy low frequency thump/rattle.

The rear door uses a wedge to support the door on the latch side. The wedge looks like a "V" rotated 90 degrees with the point/vertex cut off. The wedge on the body has plastic covering the upper and lower V section/lips. The door has an all metal V that fits over the V on the body.When the door closes, these pieces mate and support the door. My plastic on the V on the body has some slight grooves and I think doesn't fit as tight as it should.

My fix: I used a large cresent wrench to slightly bend the lips of the metal V on the door closer together. I adjusted the cresent wrench so that the jaws were tight over the lips of the V so I could bend them. So now the V on the door fits tighter over the V on the body. Now my door sounds more solid when I close it and I don't hear the sound over bumps anymore. I'm not sure if this was the proper way to adjust the door. The metal V on the door looks thick and tough but it bent pretty easily.

Old 09-02-2007, 04:24 AM

Problem solved and it's so simple.

Below the door lock (on the rear door) there is a V shaped metal thing. It is held by two screws, and there were totaly free. Just close tjhese screws and all the noises are totaly gone.

I was so concentrated on the door lock itself, and I missed on that V shape below it.

Hope this helps others too

Old 09-02-2007, 03:49 PM

I had a loaner this past week that seemed to have this same problem....Drove me nuts...

Tightened the jack up....That helped....

Re-latched the back seats...That helped a lot...

Spare seemed tight.

Door wasn't loose, but there was still a rattle coming from that back end.....never got it figured out before I got mine back.