PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Newbie Considering a Hummer

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 08:05 AM

Stacy where are you moving too?

Old 06-25-2010, 10:08 PM

Stacee,
I owned a 2006 H3 and now a 2010 FJ and 2009 H3T. Here is my honest comparison:
1. FJ is roomier in front seats and has more storage behind 2nd row.
2. FJ has the "get up and go" that the H3 definitely lacks.
3. The FJs FJammer stereo is significantly better than the H3 Monsoon in terms of sound quality. The FJ also has steering wheel controls for the stereo and an aux input jack for an MP3.
4. My FJ averages around 17 mpg with Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. My H3 averaged around 16-17 with stock 32" tires and my H3T averages 13 mpg with BFG TA/KOs which are a 33" All-Terrain Light Truck tire.
5. FJ has a rubber like flooring which is easy to clean mud and dirt out of.
6. FJ has a rear locking differential but if you want this on the H3, you need the Adventure Package.

That's about all I can say that is better on the FJ. Now, here is WHAT I DO LIKE about the H3.
1. H3 is a better looking vehicle.
2. H3 is built better. When you drive it, it feels solid. When you close the door, you feel like you have a well-built vehicle surrounding and protecting you.
3. FJ has a bad blind spot.
4. H3 has a moon roof as an option and it is HUGE! Biggest on any SUV that I know of. However, the drains can get plugged causing it to leak but there is an easy fix to keep that from happening.
5. H3 has an amzing turning radius. Beats the FJ by at least 3 feet.
6. H3, 2009 model plus has standard bluetooth which is much better than the optional Blue Connect on the FJ.
7. H3 has optional leather seats with both powered driver and passenger heated seats. FJ are only cloth but I must say are pretty comfortable.
8. H3 is much quieter on the inside when on the highway than the FJ.
9. H3 has 2 power point accessory outlets up front (1 has retained power)and 1 in rear. FJ only has one up front (not retained power) but does have a 115V/400 W power outlet in cargo area.
10. H3 is a real 4 door vehicle, FJ has the suicide doors (ok for small people to get in and out of but bigger people struggle).
11. H3 is all the time 4WD whereas the FJ is only part-time.
12. H3 molding and exterior trim seems to be much more durable than the FJs.

If I think of anything else, I'll add on. I think it's obvious which of the 2 I am partial to. Supposedly Toyota fixed the frame issues and front bumper issues for 2010. I think both are niche vehicles and both are very off-road capable. I don't think you'll go wrong with either. My wife drove both and she is partial to the FJ. She likes the acceleration and feels like the FJ is easier for her to back up. Both can be individually customized. I think the aftermarket support is much better for the FJ, no thanks to GM and Obama screwing over the Hummer brand. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions. I hope this helps.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:27 PM
rsc

Good comparison of pros/cons FloridaFeMan, just remember to add that the latest H3's came with FRONT lockers on the adventure package, not just at the rear! The only drawbacks I see with the H3 is that it's got a huge blindspot out the back window (backed over a full size sedan that pulled up behind me in the parking lot after I got in and started up- couldn't see a lick of that car in the mirrors! Honestly!) and that the mileage could be 10% better- I'd love to see 20 mpg on the hwy with the 33's but that won't happen! Aside from that, I love my H3. Well, having an aftermarket like the Jeep guys have would be nice too!

Old 07-08-2010, 09:17 PM

Thanks soo much for the info.. I keep going back and fourth looking at all kinds of cars.. I keep going back to the hummer.. (o: it doesnt have all the bells and whistles I was looking for but that is ok.
I am moving to arizona and wont get one till I am there.. I wish the gas mileage was better is there a way to help with that at all??Better filters ect??

Old 07-09-2010, 12:07 AM
rsc

The I5 is already pretty efficient, Hummer did a good job massaging to the motor making it harder to get big gains. Of course using 32" OEM tires will help vs. putting larger/heavier tires on. I'm just going off what others have said here since I don't have it in mine, but a PCM4Less tune will fatten up the midrange and improve driveability and perhaps give you another 1-2 mpg if you keep your foot out of it and an AirDoc intake will help as well. Short of gutting the catalytic converter (+10hp all over the place) or header pipes, it looks like most mods are for driveability and/or owner pride.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

Airdocs intake and PCM4less tune will help the mileage some.