PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

New tires, wheels, and a question

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2021, 09:06 AM
Default New tires, wheels, and a question

I finally replaced the 22” “bling” rims that a previous owner installed. They looked too big to me so I went with 18” Fuel rims and Yokohama Geolander rubber. Has a great ride now! I want to remove my tailgate spare tire and move the license plate to the tailgate. I know the original license plate tailgate “pocket” is very hard to find so I will probably just modify the one that is there. Is there a wire all ready inside the tailgate for the license plate light or do I have to re-run the external one? Hoping they wired for both at the factory. Thanks, Ron.

Old 11-28-2021, 11:39 AM

Looks great!. I actually have a spare license plate pocket but it has some damage but I forget what/where. I will check it if you are interested. Not sure about the wiring but I'd suspect it is there.

Old 11-28-2021, 03:23 PM

Sure, let me know what the damage is, maybe a pic or two. Thanks!

Old 12-01-2021, 09:40 AM

The upper part where the lights are is removable. If yours has the same upper part that can be removed you can probably just swap that bit of it out. On this, there are three screws from the outside to remove the smaller upper panel with the lights. On this one I have, it has been drilled where the original captive bolts were (used external bolts since the captive plastic had broken away), has cracks, a couple of the mounting clips are broken off, etc. Really overall only good for spare parts but could still be used as is. Even rough these things are pricey. I'm open to offers on it - not looking to get much for it really.

Old 12-02-2021, 05:49 AM

Looks great. IMO these type of trucks are not meant for large, low pro tires, where you can barely make a turn. With the tires you have now, the ride is smooth and you can actually go off road.
Are you selling the spare tire mount by any chance? I’m looking to put our spare tire outside to make more room inside.

dan

Old 12-02-2021, 08:02 AM

Those wheels are a great choice, I love the Yellow. I had a Yellow 2003

Old 12-04-2021, 08:29 PM

Thanks all, yes the ride is great now! Thanks for posting the pic of the pocket - a little rougher than what I am looking for. The Hummers with the rear tire mount have a one piece insert with no separate part for the light - the whole pocket needs to be swapped out or modify the one with no lights which I may do. I will keep the external tire mount for when I sell the truck so the next owner can reinstall it if they chose.

Old 12-05-2021, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Canadian Hummer
Thanks all, yes the ride is great now! Thanks for posting the pic of the pocket - a little rougher than what I am looking for. The Hummers with the rear tire mount have a one piece insert with no separate part for the light - the whole pocket needs to be swapped out or modify the one with no lights which I may do. I will keep the external tire mount for when I sell the truck so the next owner can reinstall it if they chose.

You can keep your rear plate pocket and use an LED lit license plate frame.

Link below

Amazon Amazon