PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new "H1" or super-hummer with another name forthcoming?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 01:11 AM
Default RE: new "H1" or super-hummer with another name forthcoming?

ORIGINAL: hummerific

But could it toss itself down that prarie trail at 50mph, or over that 7 foot ridge? based on the vastly worse dimensions, i don't think so.
It can even toss itself over that prairie. I know it's kinda sturdy on road but that only because it's a real mountain goat.

There are quite a few armies and police forces in the world that use the G, like the dutch army and police, danish, norwegian, french, canadian and german army and also the US marine corps force reconnaissance.

To prove its not all talk:

[IMG]local://upfiles/321/DD22477503B247ADB634677DD7C00F2A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/321/3F51B928078E4213812E1EE7E5B473CD.jpg[/IMG]
i can get my great-uncles buick in the air like that over some rocks, its all abou thow it comes down.

i wouldn't trade my H2 for a G500, but then my H2 has probably cost more by now than a G500 anyhoo...

but they are nice trucks. i will observe that the winning military drives hummers.

Old 05-24-2006, 01:14 AM

ORIGINAL: NJTEX

About 2 years ago, MB announced that the G was ending production to be replaced by the GL. Late last year, MB changed it's mind and announced that the G will live on. They're even investing in updating the electrical system to bring it in line with it's other current vehicles.

The interesting thing is that the G isn't built by MB but under contract contract by Puch in Austria. In a way, it's a little like the AM General/GM arrangement.

It's also interesting to note that late model G's are compromised somewhat in off-road capability and ride comfort in the US to meet certain SUV oriented government standards. Note that roof racks are verboten and not available for US G's!

Anyway, if MB can change it's mind, why not GM? Please!
who knows, maybe its a ploy to con guys like me into ponying up for one ahead of schedule.

Old 05-26-2006, 06:46 PM

i can get my great-uncles buick in the air like that
That cracked me up

Old 06-04-2006, 05:07 AM

Just a theory, but I'm wondering if the millitary might be axing the HUMVEE? I know that every time I turn on the news I'm hearing about some soldiers getting killed and usually the word HUMVEE is attached to the story in some way or another. They have got kind of a bad rap in the current conflict for thier lack of armor and what not. I know the millitary is looking at new super vehicles that are highly armored and even more capapble than the HUMVEE, if thats possible. So if AM General hasnt got the millitary contract, it would be hard to keep the line open to sell only the few civilian models each year. The H1 is more like a piece of heavy equiptment, than a truck or SUV. Its built totally different than the standard issue grocery getter most of us encounter on our daily commutes. Thier construction even makes the H2 look wimpy. So maybee the millitary will show us the way to the next uber cool super truck....

Old 06-04-2006, 07:24 AM

I didn't get it anyway why the US used hummers for so many different things, like sometimes you see hummers with whole rocket launch installations on them and what not. Many armies have real armoured vehicles in between their 'light' jeeps and tanks. I dont think these badboys would fall apart when they drive over a mine:

[IMG]local://upfiles/321/F61B11CCD3F24188A190DDD16EDD90E9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/321/D9AAFE2657094D32B79AB9B7C706A1C7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-04-2006, 08:22 AM

maybe they'll start selling those with italian leather seats and monsoon sound systems...

i could use a 6x6, i think

Old 06-04-2006, 09:48 AM

The name "HUMMVEE" is the common pronuciation of HMMWV which stands for Highly Mobile Multipurpose Wheeled Vehcile. The whole concept of the vehicle was to have one platform that can do many things. This reduces the number of parts on the shelf, and the number of personnel that need specialized training to work on the vehicle. In theroy, if you have toomany troop carrier configurations and you have a bunch of broken rocket launcer vehicles that you need to get moving, you could either rob parts from the troop carriers to make the rockel launch vehicles go, or just move the rocket launcher to the other vehicle. The former would be the more likely solution, but odds are, neither would be done with our high level of supply and logistics. The reason you hear the name Hummvee attached to bad articles is because everyone uses them, and they do get hit. Imagine if the whole country drove Honda Civics. If everytime you turned on the radio and heard of a fatal car wreck involving a Honda Civic would you would think Civics are bad? Not anymore then you currently do because the probability of them being in a wreck if everyone is driving them is extremely high so it would stand to reason more of them would be involved in wrecks.
The problem with full armored vehicles is typically they are more prone to breaking due to thier weight, thier general lack of mobility because of thier weight and visibility, and with such a narrow use you would need several different vehicle to cover several similar jobs. They are also less efficiant then vehicles without armor like the Hummvee. The Marine Corps employs the LAV (Light Aromored Vehicle) with all of its variants and the army uses the Stryker version. Both are well suited to handle the IED problem we hare having in Iraq, but neither can do what the Hummvee can do.
Just remeber, the Hummvee was designed to replace the M151 Mutt which replaced the Jeep, both of which were "do all" vehicles by design.

Old 06-04-2006, 06:04 PM

Ford is taking over the hummvee for the military. The truck will have rocket launcher from the back and it all controlled by remote control no driver etc.

Old 06-04-2006, 08:37 PM

ORIGINAL: dilo2001gt

Ford is taking over the hummvee for the military. The truck will have rocket launcher from the back and it all controlled by remote control no driver etc.
Where did you hear that?

Old 06-04-2006, 08:56 PM

HERE SOME OF IT

The Afghan army is being equipped with some 5,000 Ford F 350 SORV (Severe off road vehicle) pickup trucks. These four wheel drive vehicles are based on Fords F 250/350 commercial pick up, which has been the best selling line of pickup trucks in the U.S. since the 1980s. The Afghan army trucks are being built in a Ford factory in Thailand. The SORV is being provided in five variants, (cargo, emergency response, personnel/tactical and personnel/command trucks, maintenance van). The SORV truck comes with a diesel engines (about 300 horsepower). Costing about $40,000 each, the 4.5 ton vehicle can carry about two tons of personnel and cargo, and tow up to eight tons. It has a 38 gallon fuel tank. Depending on the version, the SORV can seat up to eleven people. Afghans are accustomed to cramming as many people as they can into pickups and SUVs. The Afghans will probably also mount weapons on some of the SORVs, and give these vehicles a workout that Ford engineers never imagined.

Many armed forces, especially those on a low budget, use commercial vehicles, particularly the Ford F-250/350. The Irish army uses SORVs for recon units. In Afghanistan, the Ford, and other pickups, are very popular (especially if they are four wheel drive). Equipping the Afghans with the SORVs, instead of hummers, means the Afghans will get familiar vehicles at less than half the price of the hummer.

Quick Reply: new "H1" or super-hummer with another name forthcoming?