PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Back up camera for Stock Nav system

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 11:04 PM
Default RE: Need Back up camera for Stock Nav system

Got a call from the folks at PAC today, and they said that they are still waiting on field reports from Paul on how their unit is working, before finalizing the release. They expect release to be about 2 months or so, and to cost about $400 for the adapter. It will insert between the screen and the NAV system electronics (somehow), supposedly a DIY project if you want, or take it to dealer, and then then get your own camera and cable to connect to the adapter (standard composite video - yellow RCA plug type). I'm guessing that puts it about $500 plus install, brackets, misc, and tax.
Asked the nice folks at Sewell about it, and of course they aren't familiar with it yet. Gave me the line about they would have to buy it to install it blah blah ... figure when I get closer to it, the negotiation can begin. That's all I've heard so far. I'm anxious as well, but starting to get a bit pricey for what you get. As someone else said, Demand = supply maybe there will be other alternatives as well.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:14 AM

Finally going to get it installed tomorrow so will have a report either tomorrow night or at least by Friday.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:37 PM

Back up system installed:

Good news PAC interface works perfectly! Bad news is that the camera I have is dead. Got the camera from Kawamall (now Kawacam) on Ebay and awaiting a response to my inquiry for a replacement. Used the installer's camera for a while (before I had to give it back) and it was great. Put it in reverse - see behind - or flip the switch regardless of gearshift position - see behind.

This was an '06 H3 oem navigation unit which I had installed in my '07 H3 and now in my '08 H3Alpha. Someone said that the harnesses are different between '06 and '07 and '08 - this may be true, but not on either of my H3s.

Three Cheers for Jesse Armstrong and the folk at PAC http://www.pac-audio.com[sm=icon_cheers.gif][sm=icon_cheers.gif][sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Now to get a camera that works ![:@]

Oh yeah, second tank of gas - 15.5 mpg mostly highway miles.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:31 PM

wait a minute. Per D. Vader, and I had heard also from other sources, the NAV Radio itself is different, not sure about the harness. The '06 NAV unit was supposedly able to support all along, the backup camera, similar to the H2. It's the '07 unit that is the difference. Doesn't sound like this will work for me, or at least we don't know that it will. Maybe that's why Sewell wants $2k, they have to replace the '07 NAV with an '06 new unit, and add the appropriate whatevers for the camera. Just my speculation, of course.
Have to keep looking.
Dang! [sm=headbang.gif][sm=headbang.gif]

Old 08-09-2007, 06:39 AM

ORIGINAL: whitestick

wait a minute. Per D. Vader, and I had heard also from other sources, the NAV Radio itself is different, not sure about the harness. The '06 NAV unit was supposedly able to support all along, the backup camera, similar to the H2. It's the '07 unit that is the difference. Doesn't sound like this will work for me, or at least we don't know that it will. Maybe that's why Sewell wants $2k, they have to replace the '07 NAV with an '06 new unit, and add the appropriate whatevers for the camera. Just my speculation, of course.
Have to keep looking.
Dang! [sm=headbang.gif][sm=headbang.gif]
Yup the '07 radios are different. If you have the Monsoon system that comes in the H3Xand add the NAV system, you get a downgraded version of the radio! Sirius tells me their '06 upgrades won't work in the '07 either. The '07 presents some challenges.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:58 AM

DVader -I am not certain what you mean, butbelow is a picture of the P/N label off of myOEM Nav unit. I had an '07 H3 non-Monsoon and this OEM Navigation unit workedperfectly well (vs. the single CD OEM radio)and now have an '08 with Monsoon and it works perfectly well (vs. the 6 CD OEM radio that had been in it). Both H3s have XM and OnStar and the XM worked fine on both cars. The Nav and OnStar volume was low in the non-Monsoon car because the OEM basic single CD radio has 64amp output vs the 4 amp output of the Nav unit which requires the Monsoon system or an aftermarket amp to boost the signal.
If your H3 Nav unit has the CD eject button in the upper left side of the unit - it is the same as mine and the PAC video input that was made for my Nav unit will work. If yours has the CD eject button on the upper right (as in the H2 version) you need a different adapter.

I have no financial interest in pushing PAC or OEM navigation units or anything else, just trying to share my experiences so that others benefit. My whole setup - nav unit, antenna, camera, install (excluding the cost of the PAC video adapter) cost me a total of $730.

Wheter oem oraftermarket b/u camera or the sensors some have installed, I think it a great idea to be able to "see" better behind us - another 4 year old kid was killed by his mother when she backed into him with her SUV on Sunday.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1471/E06E981E2481421A97CC93650AF2AD4C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1471/8C17CC0AB45B45BB82921F562877F5D9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-09-2007, 08:12 AM

The point I was trying to make is the NAV doesn't have the upgraded radio that comes with the Monsoon system. If I replaced my Monsoon radio with a OEM NAV radio it would be a down grade in sound quality. You would be better off installing an upscale aftermarket NAV/Radio.