PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice, Black or Chrome wheels on Black H3?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 10:43 PM
Default RE: Need advice, Black or Chrome wheels on Black H3?

ORIGINAL: BassGear

Normally I would say...CHROME!!

But the black with chrome lip looks sweet!

Yeah....That Looks SHARP!!!!

Old 09-26-2007, 12:45 AM

you can get black chrome instead of paint

Old 09-26-2007, 06:04 AM

Downside of black-chrome is it doesn't really look like black. It's to diluted IMO.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:10 AM

ORIGINAL: BrokenAxle

ORIGINAL: D VADER
Bob,
what wheels are those? Where'd you get them & how$$
They are ProComp wheels I bought at 4Wheel Parts. They have a store about 10 miles from my house. I've purchased wheel/tire sets there before and they are a pretty decent place. Great selection and most of the guys seem to know their stuff.

I have made the decision to change my order to the CHROME wheels. Despite how cool the black ones looked, we just felt more comfortable with the look and duability of the all chrome version. What killed it for me was seeing some guy on Monday with a black/polished aluminum wheel that had clear coat issues where it was peeling up on the wheel. I think they were lower end wheels that he bought at Discount Tire, but I couldn't help get nervous about how well those things would last. Chrome isn't impervious, but it's far more durable than any paint and clearcoat.

Here's the link to the wheels:

All chrome

Black / Polished Aluminum

I went with 20" wheels and I'm having them mounted with Nitto Terra Grappler tires 305/50/R20's (picture attached). The Black set ran $3400 and the Chrome set is running a little more (around $3600). This includes all hardware, all mounting, new wheel lug nuts all around for FIVE wheels/tires (had to do the spare too!!) and includes sales taxes, etc. This all ran a little more $$ than I wanted, but you can't get close to awesome.... You have to go all the way. My kid can pay for one year of college, right?

If I could have seen both options mounted before making a commitment, there's a good chance we would have wound up with the black wheelset. But considering the time and effort invovled to "test" wheels and tires, we had to go with the sure bet...Chrome it is.

Thanks for making this decision an easier one.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3131/C6205312D5DE4951B9E09A0E3AB03005.jpg[/IMG]
Unfortunately I live In Ohio. It's part of the "Rust Belt". I've had chromies before. They last a bit over one season here. The winter road salts eat them alive in no time. No more chromies for me. My last few sets have been black with polished lips and center. Looks great on black. My driver, D VADER, loves them too.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 09-26-2007, 06:22 AM

I just want to say a sarcastic THANK YOU to all of you who are "voting" for Black after I've clearly already made a decision. Do you guys have ANY IDEA how indecisive I've been about this... and now that I've made the decision (to go Chrome) and I've still expressed that I'm not 100% sure, you have to go and start pitching Black, Black, Black.

If I call them now, the guys at 4Wheel Parts are going to put little pin holes in my wheels...and I'd deserve it.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:33 AM

I just want to say a sarcastic THANK YOU to all of you who are "voting" for Black after I've clearly already made a decision. Do you guys have ANY IDEA how indecisive I've been about this... and now that I've made the decision (to go Chrome) and I've still expressed that I'm not 100% sure, you have to go and start pitching Black, Black, Black.

If I call them now, the guys at 4Wheel Parts are going to put little pin holes in my wheels...and I'd deserve it.
Sounds like you made a decision before all the data was in.

Chrome is a nice temporary wheel but is at the mercy of caustic road grime salt and abrasions.Chrome is next to impossible to repair if bent or dinked. They require much more cleaning and waxing.Chrome also shows all the brake dust on your shiney wheels.I've been there and done that.

Also remember when you post a question if brings it to the attention of other member than yourself, So it's common to see the date continue to stream in even after your question was answered.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:18 AM

Where the heck was your scientific analysis three days ago, D Vader?????

I will say that in Texas, the occasional salting of icy roads is relatelively rare and doesn't really impact cars all that much. I've had other trucks with small scratches that were down to bare metal and didn't rust for months and months. When I lived in the NE, that whole body panel would have rusted off quicker!!

I'm hoping 4 Wheel parts has both sets in when we arrive tomorrow with the truck. If they do, I may have them mount 2 of each...even if they ask me to pay a little... I really like the Black too, that's why we ordered it originally. But Chrome seems like the easy, safe decision. Black is a "maybe it will look cool" kind of thing....

Old 09-26-2007, 07:25 AM

Where the heck was your scientific analysis three days ago, D Vader?????

I will say that in Texas, the occasional salting of icy roads is relatelively rare and doesn't really impact cars all that much. I've had other trucks with small scratches that were down to bare metal and didn't rust for months and months. When I lived in the NE, that whole body panel would have rusted off quicker!!

I'm hoping 4 Wheel parts has both sets in when we arrive tomorrow with the truck. If they do, I may have them mount 2 of each...even if they ask me to pay a little... I really like the Black too, that's why we ordered it originally. But Chrome seems like the easy, safe decision. Black is a "maybe it will look cool" kind of thing....

The painted rims are so low maintenance too. Often a power washer is all that's needed. If you have exposed bolts the dirt and grime get in there and make the chrome look bad. You have to maintain the back of the rims too. The backs were the first to go on my chromies. You almost have to remove the wheels to clean them properly!!

Old 09-29-2007, 05:29 PM

Here's my 06 with chrome rims on Nitto's

[IMG]local://upfiles/471/89C346CE5EBE45018A59343D41488959.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-29-2007, 07:30 PM

Which 4WP store are you using?

Quick Reply: Need advice, Black or Chrome wheels on Black H3?