PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice, Black or Chrome wheels on Black H3?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 09:48 AM
Default RE: Need advice, Black or Chrome wheels on Black H3?

ORIGINAL: ockie

Question, since your wife will be driving this, why do you need fancy tires/rims? Just asking out of curiosity I'd rather thrown in another plasma for the home and leave the wife with stock rims, but thats just me
It's funny you bring up this point, even my wife said that there are other things in the house that she'd rather spend $3k on. (Although there was never mention of a plasma) With so many of these things roaming the streets these days, I'm just a sucker for some uniqueness. (Is that a word?) I drive a sedan and will be swapping vehicles with her regularly and don't want to be seen in a "stock" truck. [sm=smiley16.gif]

Old 09-24-2007, 10:36 AM

I have a black H3x and this is my choice in a 20" rim.
Be sure to keep the overall diameter the same to keep your speedo accurate and not to upset your stabilitrac.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:32 AM

ORIGINAL: HumV

Black with chrome LIPS!!!!
I was THIS close to getting those kind!! Really SHARP IMO!!!

Old 09-25-2007, 02:35 AM

ORIGINAL: BrokenAxle

I appreciate the feedback. My wife and I were ready to call and change the order to Chrome...then I did this quick mock-up. I don't recall who's ride this was (apologize for not giving credit...) but it was yellow with the same black/alum wheel we ordered. So I used my fantastic photoshop skills (not) to change the truck color to black. Now we're back to leaning towards the damn black wheels. This picture looks pretty cool!

We would also have body matched grill and a chrome brushguard.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3131/CD388EE422184270A65C9FCAC8763A87.jpg[/IMG]
That IS SWEET!!! But you HAVE to have some Chrome for accent otherwise everything just gets lost as BLACK!!

Old 09-25-2007, 03:24 AM

The black ones looks sweet, but I'd still go with the chrome.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:57 AM

ORIGINAL: HummBob

ORIGINAL: BrokenAxle

I appreciate the feedback. My wife and I were ready to call and change the order to Chrome...then I did this quick mock-up. I don't recall who's ride this was (apologize for not giving credit...) but it was yellow with the same black/alum wheel we ordered. So I used my fantastic photoshop skills (not) to change the truck color to black. Now we're back to leaning towards the damn black wheels. This picture looks pretty cool!

We would also have body matched grill and a chrome brushguard.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3131/CD388EE422184270A65C9FCAC8763A87.jpg[/IMG]
That IS SWEET!!! But you HAVE to have some Chrome for accent otherwise everything just gets lost as BLACK!!

Bob,
what wheels are those? Where'd you get them & how$$

Old 09-25-2007, 03:07 PM

I dunno, BrokenAxle posted 'em!!!![8D]

Old 09-25-2007, 09:16 PM

ORIGINAL: D VADER
Bob,
what wheels are those? Where'd you get them & how$$
They are ProComp wheels I bought at 4Wheel Parts. They have a store about 10 miles from my house. I've purchased wheel/tire sets there before and they are a pretty decent place. Great selection and most of the guys seem to know their stuff.

I have made the decision to change my order to the CHROME wheels. Despite how cool the black ones looked, we just felt more comfortable with the look and duability of the all chrome version. What killed it for me was seeing some guy on Monday with a black/polished aluminum wheel that had clear coat issues where it was peeling up on the wheel. I think they were lower end wheels that he bought at Discount Tire, but I couldn't help get nervous about how well those things would last. Chrome isn't impervious, but it's far more durable than any paint and clearcoat.

Here's the link to the wheels:

All chrome

Black / Polished Aluminum

I went with 20" wheels and I'm having them mounted with Nitto Terra Grappler tires 305/50/R20's (picture attached). The Black set ran $3400 and the Chrome set is running a little more (around $3600). This includes all hardware, all mounting, new wheel lug nuts all around for FIVE wheels/tires (had to do the spare too!!) and includes sales taxes, etc. This all ran a little more $$ than I wanted, but you can't get close to awesome.... You have to go all the way. My kid can pay for one year of college, right?

If I could have seen both options mounted before making a commitment, there's a good chance we would have wound up with the black wheelset. But considering the time and effort invovled to "test" wheels and tires, we had to go with the sure bet...Chrome it is.

Thanks for making this decision an easier one.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3131/C6205312D5DE4951B9E09A0E3AB03005.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-25-2007, 10:16 PM

Normally I would say...CHROME!!

But the black with chrome lip looks sweet!

Old 09-25-2007, 10:16 PM

Black, go Black!

Quick Reply: Need advice, Black or Chrome wheels on Black H3?