PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

name of a part

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 08:19 PM
Default RE: name of a part

Hello Friends,
As you all remember, I chose not to install the OEM bumper tail lights and instead I've installed "MILITARY BLACK OUT LIGHTS" in the rear.
For your pleasure here are photos.
Safari Hummer H2

[IMG]local://upfiles/4067/22A9663121594503AE5FC90364F45BB6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-18-2008, 08:20 PM

second photo.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4067/34F3916C884141068DDE4F38DB34F101.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-20-2008, 10:06 PM

ORIGINAL: JTummer

yeah, i kinda figured they would be expensive. i need the part number.

Like Safari posted, the part number is 15100038 for the left side.

If you need one, I have one, brand new in the box from GM. It does not include the wiring harness, though.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:20 AM

ORIGINAL: Crushem

yeah, i kinda figured they would be expensive. i need the part number.

Like Safari posted, the part number is 15100038 for the left side.

If you need one, I have one, brand new in the box from GM. It does not include the wiring harness, though.
does my existing wiring just pull out of the old one? I tried to get it out the other day and that sucker wouldnt budge. I didnt want to break it, so I just left it in there, pulled both lights out of the rear bumper and bolted everything back up. I would like to have those lights back, though.. how much do you want for the socket, crushem?

Old 09-21-2008, 07:55 PM

Hello Friend,
To release the wiring harness connector there is a tab that you have to hold and squeeze then pull the connector in order for it to release from the bulb socket.
To release the bulb socket you have to turn it counter clock wise about a quarter turn then pull for it to release from the lamp housing.
I suggest you practice and see how the front turn signal lights are released and removed since these are one in the same as the rear bumper lights and are readily accessible.
Can you give some detail as to what is the nature of the original problem you are experiencing with these rear bumper lights?
Safari Hummer H2

Old 09-21-2008, 08:43 PM

ORIGINAL: SafariHummerH2

Hello Friend,
To release the wiring harness connector there is a tab that you have to hold and squeeze then pull the connector in order for it to release from the bulb socket.
To release the bulb socket you have to turn it counter clock wise about a quarter turn then pull for it to release from the lamp housing.
I suggest you practice and see how the front turn signal lights are released and removed since these are one in the same as the rear bumper lights and are readily accessible.
Can you give some detail as to what is the nature of the original problem you are experiencing with these rear bumper lights?
Safari Hummer H2
Hi Safari, the original problem was the light did not work at all. I thought it was blown so I replaced it with a new bulb. That didnt work, so then I started looking at the socket itself(looks like the contacts and the socket itself is corroded). A couple of days later, the light started working again..I thought everything was cool until I noticed that when the brakes were applied, the left bumper light would not illumate bright like the right side. I ended up just pulling both bulbs out.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:20 PM

Hello Friend,
It seems that there is a corrosion problem due to exposure.
You can either purchase a new wire connector and a bulb socket or just clean your existing items.
Either way, you MUST take preventive measures to prevent this corrosion from happening again because it will happen again.
TO CLEAN: your existing items use some type of solvent such as Penetrating Solventâ„¢ or WD-40â„¢ or Alcohol.
Use the small edge of a small jewelers flat head screwdriver and try to scrape off some of the corrosion from all the contact points.
As you scrape, flush away the excess residue with whatever solvent you use.
This is a tedious process and will take time to do.
I don't know what your skills and comfort level is for this task but it can be done.
TO TAKE PREVENTIVE MEASURES: you must lubricate all the contact points with a white lithium grease (Lubriplateâ„¢) type such as the type used for automotive applications or for motor rebuilding or you can use regular grease as well.
This will ensure proper contact and protect the surfaces from any exposure.
Also apply a small amount of Silicone Sealant to the rear of the wire connector at the openings where the wires go into the connector as well as the wire connector to the bulb socket since this is a connection the you will probably not have to remove.
This will seal the connector contacts from any exposure.
To access the bulb all you have to do is remove the whole wire connector along with the bulb socket.
If you can remove the lens housing, apply a small amount of Silicone Sealant to the perimeter of the lens housing (Red lens to Black housing) to prevent water seepage.
Check the circular rubber gasket on the bulb socket for wear.
if it is worn, you can make one from an old bicycle inner tube.
Just carefully trace the gasket over the inner tube then carefully cut it out.
Perhaps you can still add a piece to your existing gasket as well but be careful not to break the bulb plastic socket tabs with too much gasket pressure.
Keep us posted.
Safari Hummer H2

Old 09-23-2008, 07:56 AM

Hi Safari, the original problem was the light did not work at all. I thought it was blown so I replaced it with a new bulb. That didnt work, so then I started looking at the socket itself(looks like the contacts and the socket itself is corroded). A couple of days later, the light started working again..I thought everything was cool until I noticed that when the brakes were applied, the left bumper light would not illumate bright like the right side. I ended up just pulling both bulbs out.
That pretty much describes the problem I had. My socket leads were corroded so badly no cleaning would fix the short. My fix was to purchase the entire light housing, since that is the only way to buy that peticular bulb socket. The part number (15100038) is the entire lower signal housing, and it sounds like you need just the bulb socket like I did. I bit the bullet and bought it, but it would seem there ought to be a cheaper way to replace that socket.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:17 PM

Hello Friend,
The bulb socket and the bulb socket wiring three prong connector are the one in the same as for the front turn signal.
Perhaps the part number for the front turn signal socket or connector can be researched for the part numbers at a local Hummer parts Dept. and purchased as separate items.
Previously I tried to purchase from Hummer Parts the connector and the price was $50 for just the three prong connector only.
You can either purchase the whole lamp assembly which comes with everything for about $65 but without the three prong wire connector and purchase the three prong wire connector for about $50 for a grand total of about $115 or just try to find these items at a local auto wrecker / junk yard for about $15 total for both items.
Whatever you decide to do, just make sure you take preventive measures to protect your investment from pending corrosion again.