PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MT MTZs, Cooper STTs, or Goodyear Duratracs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 07:08 AM
Default MT MTZs, Cooper STTs, or Goodyear Duratracs?

Looking for some advice, just got a stock Alpha, first step is new 315s, already ordered Trail Duty Leveling kit, but I can't decide on which tire.

This will be a DD, offroad only when hunting and fishing, so biggest concern is highway noise and handling, then looks.

Choices are:
MT MTZs - Love the look of them
Cooper Discoverer STTs - another good looking tire
Goodyear Duratracs - more of a AT tire

Thoughts?

Thanks

Old 04-22-2010, 07:55 AM
Default Mtz

I have owned MTZ s I had them on a LAnd Rover Disco II. I could not have been more impressed with them, The rover spent most of its time on the road,as it was my daily driver, I had about 30,000 miles on the tires when i sold the truck and I can say they would get another 10,000 miles with ease. Unlike other brand of MT tires I have had,the MTZ handled really well on wet roads, and great the few times I had it offroad.The MTZ s are a little wider then some other brand tires in the same size.And they are at the top of the price range. good luck.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:54 AM

The MTZ's and STT's are made by the same company. They have similar tread patterns and both have the same carcass. I had this same debate myself a couple of months ago and I finally decided to go with the Duratrac's due to the amount of time I'm going to be on the road vs how much I'm going to be off-road and the kind of weather I get in my area.

If you live in a area that doesn't get a lot of snow/ice, then I would say keep looking at the MTZ's or STT's and go with the best deal, since they are so alike. However, if you get a lot of in-climate weather, then I would suggest you go with the Duratrac's based on the fact that it is a AT tire and is siped like one, but it looks tough like an MT tire.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:18 AM

I live in Central IL, so winter weather varies, we get some snow, ice, and mix.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:50 PM

I live up in the Quad-Cities, so that ultimately decided for me what tires to get. I was leaning toward the MTZ's due to the looks and reviews, but they don't have enough sipes for me and I got a helluva deal on the Duratrac's.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:24 PM

I went with the 315 Cooper SST's and love them. Now have just over 12k miles on them and they still look new. 90% road miles and 10% trail. One of the reason's I went with the Cooper's is one of the guys that worked at the shop had them on his jacked up Ford 4X4 and had almost 50k on them. They were still half life and looked good. He had used his pretty extensively off road and had nothgin but good things to say about them. I would buy another set in a heart beat. Just remember the trick with every set of big tires you get is regular rotation. Every Oil change is my routine...

Old 04-23-2010, 04:18 PM

Had Duratrac's on my Wrangler and they looked, wore and performed great...