PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long-term effects of Torsion Bar adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Long-term effects of Torsion Bar adjustments

After levelling off the H3, I noticed after putting a few hundred pounds of hardwood flooring in the back that the rear end does sag lower then the front. I lowered the front end a bit before getting my alignment done yesterday. If anybody does it, I would recommend leaving the front end down just a little so that it is level when towing or hauling heavy loads. This way you won't be looking up into the sky while you're driving.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

At a boy Mikey, Hardwood Floors. Lot of work, but when it's done Didn't I say something about leaving the front a tad lower before?????????? You could always go level and "add a leaf" in the rear, but that can effect ride quality, and then raises the rear higher so it wouldn't be level after adding the leaf. Man that's a viciuos cycle.[:'(]

Old 09-07-2007, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

The only reason I decided to post this was because there are some on here that say putting a load on the rear when the torsion bars are jacked up does not compress the springs. That's complete BS and physically impossible unless you add another leaf as you said. I think people just don't notice it unless you put enough weight on it, so that's where the descrepency is. Unless you have a REALLY well-balanced trailor, I have a hard time believe you wouldn't see a difference.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:39 PM

i just posted this on another section.dont no if this is a noob question. but i have a lifted hummer running 38 and 9in lift fabtec.and i guess my truck was **** eyed and after taking it to the dealer they said the torshion bar woreout/bent. they are replaceing it....... how offen do they wareout?

Old 11-24-2007, 02:37 PM

9 inch lift, I dont care who you are that rite thar is funny. Where are the pictures??

Old 11-25-2007, 01:00 PM

As far as the exhaust heat affecting the Torsion Bar, No Way, the torsion bar is spring steel, if it doesn't get red hot your okay.I had a 68 Dodge Dartit had over 140k and the torsion bars were fine. Rod Hall makes a set of Torsion bars for the H3 at $595.00 (SAMCO Sway-A-Way H3 Torsion Bars). I think you are on the right track with your adjustments.Did you put a leveling kit on it?Did you get a front nd alignment after your original changes? You might want to find a local 4wd shop and have it checked out. ( I am not aware of your suspension experience, butwhen it comes to front end adjustments and changes etc.. sometimes you need to take it to trained professionals).