PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Mods good for long term durability

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 05:17 AM
Default Are Mods good for long term durability

I would like to know that if you "upgrade" your H3 I-5 with all the mods discussed on this forum i.e performance Exhaust's,PCM Foreless,CAI etc to get better performance out of your H3 will this not have a negitive impact once the Vehicle begins to get older?

Basically would these mods make the H3 Less reliable in the long term?

Old 03-07-2008, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Are Mods good for long term durability

Those three you mentioned....The "BIG three" if you will , should not impact reliability or longevity. This assumes all proper maintenance is performed at the reocommended intervals, and that you are driving "normally".

By normally, I mean some few people will do the Big 3, and then constantly have their foot in the gas essentially beating on their vehicle long term. That's not to say you can't or shouldn't let her rip once in a while,pass a camper towing a boat uphill, or go off roading.

Look at it this way, your enginecan runat idle all the way thru 70% power indefinitely. It doesn't know the difference. When you start tapping WOT over and over, you are stressing the motor. Manufacturers have rev limiters and other built in protection devices that will prevent engine damage when passed 70% throttle, but they are not completely idiot proof.TheBig 3 will give you more efficiency (when driven normally they can increase fuel efficiency), and help to develop tourque and power in the usable power range, and they also give you a gain at WOT. Drive NORMALLY and no worries mate. See what I mean?

Old 03-07-2008, 07:26 AM

nope...not at all.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:56 AM

Doc, I have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

Figures. [&o]

Old 03-07-2008, 08:08 AM

Doc, I thought I'd take off my rev limiter and throw in at least three stages of nitrous. That's not gonna hurt the long term reliability, is it?

And yes, I agree. All those people that you hear getting 200k+ miles off an engine aren't the racers. They simply respected the vehicle in driving and maintenance.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:18 AM

As stated earlier . . . no additional harm should come to your vehicle as long as you drive it normally and maintain it. I have a 96 Chevy S-10 that I have done pretty much all the same stuff (Magnaflow exhaust, Computer upgrade, K&N intake, B&M shift kit) and it is still running strong at 136,000 miles.

Actually, I tend drive my cars hard, so I am convinced that regular maintenance will prevent most problems.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:19 PM

ORIGINAL: alrock

Doc, I thought I'd take off my rev limiter and throw in at least three stages of nitrous. That's not gonna hurt the long term reliability, is it?

And yes, I agree. All those people that you hear getting 200k+ miles off an engine aren't the racers. They simply respected the vehicle in driving and maintenance.
Throw in a supercharger, great for long lasting engines! [/sarcasm]

Old 03-07-2008, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Regular maintenance should be your mantra. Do that and your car will last longer than you will want it. As everyone else has said, the mods should not effect the long term life of the truck.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:37 PM

Just agreeing with everyone else on here. Mods shouldn't hurt anything, people have been doing them for years. The only question is can we expect our I5 to last. It is a relatively new motor so nobody has really had one that long. I personally think that it will be fine, but I'm not a mechanic. BLUF: I wouldn't nor would most on here be doing any of these mods with the mindset that we are killing our H3's. I personally don't have that kind of money to throw away just because I think a certain muffler sounds cool. Know what I mean?

Quick Reply: Are Mods good for long term durability