PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long-term effects of Torsion Bar adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator
Default Long-term effects of Torsion Bar adjustments

Well, I think I'm experiencing them.

I've noticed the past week or so that my H3 seems to be listing to the driver's side. I thought maybe it was my imagination or that my garage floor was not level. I checked the garage floor and that's not it. I parked in a few different parking lots and it still looked the same. I even had my wife come out and she noticed it and was able to tell me what side it was on.

I measured the clearance at a few different reference points on each side and it turns out the driver's side was almost an inch lower then the passenger side, more-so in the front (what a surprise). I was trying to figure out why. I checked everything on the suspension 100 times and everything is fine, nothing is leaking or broke, all the seals are on properly (well, they are now), and so forth. The only thing I can think of is that maybe one of the bars has worn or broken in sooner then the other, perhaps because the exhaust pipe runs along one and one gets hotter then the other. I'm not really sure which.

I started to lower the front end when I realized just how dramatic of a difference it was. I am using the control arm bumpers as a reference to even the front end back out. I'm trying to adjust the torsion bars so that the control arms are just touching the bumper stops on the suspension in the front. I think I have it set right now. Each one has about 1/8" clearance on each side before they start touching the control arms whereas before the driver's side one was about 1/2 " to 3/4" higher then the pass. side. I also checked the tire pressures to make sure they were even and they are all fine.

Any ideas why they would do this? The car finally is looking even'd out after days of screwing around with the adjustments. I honestly lost track now of how much I have turned and returned, tightened and loosed each bar. All I know is that I want it level again. It's not as low as it is from the factory, but it's definitely lower then I had it a week ago.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:08 PM
Default RE: Long-term effects of Torsion Bar adjustments

Go on a diet..Just kidding
It sounds like you are on the right track. Did you use a level on the hood or bumper? Was the gas tank full?

All springs sag with time. Cranking up the torsion bars may cause more flexing and possibly more fatigue?
The best thing would be to install larger diameter/stiffer torsion bars but these aren'tavailble for the H3yet except custom made $$$ ones..

I had HD torsion bars (1.5" higher)on a 4x4 Toyota truck and they worked great

Old 05-11-2007, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

Well, I noticed last night the tread on the rear-driver's tire is about 1/8" to 1/4" less in diameter then the other side, but the sagging is noticable when looking at the rear bumper in reference to the leaf springes and chasis and not really the ground. That's part of the problem I suppose. I actually got it leveled out once I lowered it and then raised it back up again with equal turns, and then problem came back. I'm assuming your theory is correct, that most likely the rear leaf spring on the driver's side is probably more settled or worn in then the pass. side. I have to crank the driver's side a full turn more to get the thing evened out but I don't want that to put more stress on the chasis and have it start to warp over time ( I don't even know if that can happen). I like the stiffer ride but wonder what effects it will cause on the front CV joints since they are turning at a greater angle when you have it raised. I just don't like the front end lowered like they have it stock. I am surprised nobody makes new torsion bars yet. It's been out for 2 years now and you would think someone would have.

I have almost 40k miles on it now and it's time for an alignment. I want to make sure I get it at the height I want before I take it in to get the alignment.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

The other issue too is when I start towing 3500 lbs on a regular basis, will me having the front end raised put more pressure on it because the trailor will be lowering the back end? It makes me wonder if I should just settle with it being in between and set it back to just touching the bumpers.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:45 AM

It's high in the back so when fully loaded it will be level.
I rasied mine about 2 turns so it is still a bit lower in the front.
Maybe ARB Old Man Emu will start making stuff like bumpers and springfor the H3 now that is selling down under?

Your right though about trailering then the front will be de-weighted and the head lights will by point up more too.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Alright well that helps. I'll probably just lower it back to where I had it yesterday and leave it. I'll probably be using it to tow a car next spring so I want to make sure it's all set to go now and not break something.

I forgot to mention, it sags regardless of the gas tank being full or empty. That's the first thing I thought, but it didn't change either way.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:20 PM

I tow almost 4000 pounds Mike, I hardly notice the rear droop at all. You will not have any problems with the front pointing to the sky.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

awsome

Old 07-30-2007, 09:20 AM

ORIGINAL: HummerGuy

Alright well that helps. I'll probably just lower it back to where I had it yesterday and leave it. I'll probably be using it to tow a car next spring so I want to make sure it's all set to go now and not break something.

I forgot to mention, it sags regardless of the gas tank being full or empty. That's the first thing I thought, but it didn't change either way.
HummerGuy,
I'm just getting into the raising and lowering of the H3. How did you lower the rear leaf springs?

Also did your H3 list at one corner or the whole side?

Old 07-30-2007, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

I didn't do anything to the leaf springs. Alot of H3's have this issue where it tilts to one side. Most people don't notice it because they aren't looking for it, but other members on here have. I just raised the front end and used the torsion bars to even out the truck. It handles fine and there hasn't been any bad affects from it. I'm going to get my alignment done in the next few weeks but i'm waiting until we go off-roading this coming Saturday.

Quick Reply: Long-term effects of Torsion Bar adjustments