PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Leveling kit vs torsion bar crank

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 07:01 PM
Default RE: Leveling kit vs torsion bar crank

You can get longer shocks (ie. Bilsten Cognitos or similar) I still have the stock shocks on the front and it is sitting about 1/4" less than level. I don't have any problems with it, don't think that it rides Joe Bobs Chevy .Haven't touched the wifes and the tworide pretty similar with the exception of the tire difference.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:33 PM

I did the torsion bar crank and ran it for 5to 6 months, then decided to install the leveling kit and that's been over a year now, there is a noticeabledifference in the ride, with the TB crank the ride was more stiff, for all of youwho cranked your TB,have a look at the yellow rubber stops that are just above the A-arm and you will see that it is almost touching the A-arm, with the leveling kit you will see a 4 to 5" spacing,you hit a pot hole or bump you will have the travel needed before it hits the A-arm, with the TB crank you don't have that anymore.
With the leveling kit, the front endstays stock!!! except for the tie rods and half shafts.

BTW I am running 35 x 12.5 Toyo Mt's.If you do theTB crank or leveling kit, the35 x 12.5will still rub on the sway bar on sharp turns, no big deal.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:35 PM

turning the t-bars DOES NOT stiffen the ride....it does the same thing a leveling key does except the key gives you added room for even more adjustment. The stiff ride as mentioned by Rhill is that you overextended your stock shocks thus creating a harsh ride...by getting longer shocks your ride will return to normal.

The public is misinformed when it comes to leveling keys so they think it is necassary to achieve lift without hurting ride.....this is completely false. Every H3 (and every other truck using t-bar suspension) comes with T-bar Keys stock...it's part of the system. THe leveling kit just swaps the stock keys with ones that re-index the starting location. SO if you turn your stock ones...say 4 inches (for sake of arguement) and you need to go up another inch to get level THEN you will need a different set of keys so that you can achieve the added amount of cranks needed. THis is not needed on 90% of the applications. There is an old trick with Chevy trucks that you swap the stock keys out in favor of a set of ford keys, which are indexed higher than GM keys, and this will also give you lift...again same concept as the leveling kit. I know those that bought leveling kits will argue this but this is not an opinion...this is factual information that most don't know unless you are experianced with IFS t-bar suspension trucks. I just hate seeing people waste money on leveling kits because they don't know the truth about the system....I'm not knocking anyone, not at all...I just wish more people knew the truth so they could spend that money on other mods to their trucks.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:36 PM

if you notice that you are near the bumpstops you can always buy ultra slim bump stops..they are a better material than stock anyway and will give you stock clearance.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:39 PM

Impy, looks like you were typing at the same time as I was[8D]I disagree the leveling kit makes a difference[8D][8D][8D]

Old 03-16-2008, 07:43 PM

ORIGINAL: importkiller

if you notice that you are near the bumpstops you can always buy ultra slim bump stops..they are a better material than stock anyway and will give you stock clearance.
So if you have the leveling kitand buy the ultra slim bump stops then you will have more travel then stock, right

Old 03-16-2008, 07:47 PM

absolutely!!!!

in your case...I would recommend ford keys or a level kit...you have added weight hanging off the front end with the winch and stuff...your gonna need the extra adjustment room.

BTW...your signature is the nicest one I have ever seen here.....I am still waiting to take good glow pics of my car to send to you...I haven't forgotten!!!

Old 03-16-2008, 07:57 PM

You are defiantly right about the over hang weight of the winch!!! the first trail I did with the winch installed, man!!! I was knocking into every dam rock on the trail, I was so freaken pissed at the end of the day it wasn't funny, two turns on the TB and the problem was taken care of.

Isn't it dark out nowgood time to take pics, I'm not going away any time soon, so when ever your ready

Old 03-16-2008, 08:27 PM

I leveled mine using stock keys and replaced shocks with Cognito's. I had absolutely no side effects to this mod. Ride is exactly the same. Handles the same. One benefit I noticed when wheeling though is that I get far less head toss side to side when going over undulating bumps. I contribute this to the Bilsteins better valving over stock shocks. This question is like asking the meaning of life![8D] no matter what you are going to get different opinions from different people!!!

Old 03-16-2008, 08:55 PM

ORIGINAL: importkiller

turning the t-bars DOES NOT stiffen the ride....it does the same thing a leveling key does except the key gives you added room for even more adjustment. The stiff ride as mentioned by Rhill is that you overextended your stock shocks thus creating a harsh ride...by getting longer shocks your ride will return to normal.

The public is misinformed when it comes to leveling keys so they think it is necassary to achieve lift without hurting ride.....this is completely false. Every H3 (and every other truck using t-bar suspension) comes with T-bar Keys stock...it's part of the system. THe leveling kit just swaps the stock keys with ones that re-index the starting location. SO if you turn your stock ones...say 4 inches (for sake of arguement) and you need to go up another inch to get level THEN you will need a different set of keys so that you can achieve the added amount of cranks needed. THis is not needed on 90% of the applications. There is an old trick with Chevy trucks that you swap the stock keys out in favor of a set of ford keys, which are indexed higher than GM keys, and this will also give you lift...again same concept as the leveling kit. I know those that bought leveling kits will argue this but this is not an opinion...this is factual information that most don't know unless you are experianced with IFS t-bar suspension trucks. I just hate seeing people waste money on leveling kits because they don't know the truth about the system....I'm not knocking anyone, not at all...I just wish more people knew the truth so they could spend that money on other mods to their trucks.
WOW...This is reallya dead horse. But then again...I still don't get it. So...Let's press on with it.

If the above statement in redis true, then when we did the keys, and still have the stock shocks, why is the ride is not stiff then[sm=smiley25.gif]

I guess I just missed something here. I did the TB Twist and the bus bounced all over the place. I did keys and went the same 2" and the ride is smooth as stock, and still have the 2" and did not have to change the shocks.

If your going to spend your money on new shocks with a TB Twist, why not just do keys and keep the stock shocks[sm=smiley25.gif]

Quick Reply: Leveling kit vs torsion bar crank