PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LEAK Problem?? Need some help guys..

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 10:25 PM
DH3
Default LEAK Problem?? Need some help guys..

Well.. I have a leak on the passenger side.. I looked around on the internet and found some sites that talked about drainage tubes becoming blocked? But, these tubes are linked to the sunroof and I do not have a sunroof.. I will say, I tore apart the outside moulding a couple of weekends ago (no pics, sorry) and found some bondo on the outside right pillar... Great... Carfax doesn't list anything, so it looks like it may have been a turn and burn from a previous owner. In the pics below, you can see the new push tabs that were installed, since the bondo covers all the OEM holes.. I haven't torn the driver side apart, but those damn push tabs are over there too?! Also, the gap between the front moulding and side rail, will not close (pic2), as these are broken? I almost bought new replacement parts, but stopped and decided you guys may have some insight as to what I can do to fix this. The water drips/pours from the inside top right, right behind the windhield, and it usually happens when the car tilts to the left. I don't know the mechanics of the roof to ground drainage, so i'm not exactly sure how the water is getting in? I didn't see any random holes when I had it opened up, so i'm at a loss.. Even the windshield looks properly sealed. What do you guys think? Has anyone ever seen this before? I'm all about fixing it myself, if it can be done.
Thanks for the help.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:08 AM

Those 'push tabs' are NOT factory! My guess is the previous owner, (for WHATEVER reason), drilled new holes and added the push tabs. I'll bet your leak is coming from the new holes he drilled!

Old 06-12-2010, 10:06 AM
DH3

Yea, the push tabs/bondo are a body shop fix.. I don't see the dealership making that kind of descision. What about the roof drainage system? Does anyone know how that works? I'm thinking I may have to pull it all apart again and use some test water.

Thanks

Old 06-12-2010, 10:54 AM

There is no 'roof drainage' system....nothing to drain. There's only a sunroof drainage system to drain the tracks. No sunroof, no drainage system.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:21 PM
Banned
Default test one,,,

pull the plugs, plug the holes with putty, run the hose, leaks??

the nice body shop probably figgered it wouldnt leak,,,too much ,gotta plug /seal holes

tom

Old 06-13-2010, 10:38 AM
DH3

I pulled it all apart again yesterday, just to see if there were any hidden holes under the luggage rail.. Didn't see anything.. The push tab holes are too far down on the pillar to allow water in the top. No Clue how it's getting in? I'll just have to settle for right now. Thanks guys

Old 06-13-2010, 10:48 AM

I know it's a major job, but, you may have to pull the headliner, sit inside, and have someone run a garden hose over the entire top until you can see where it's coming in from.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:08 PM

Are the rails tight all alon the roof line? I know mine have gaps up to 1/4" in some places where it should obviously be fixed to the roof. Dealer said they were tight though, both sides. *rollseyes*

Old 06-13-2010, 10:57 PM

My 2006 H3 had some issues with the roof marker lights. On my H3 I assume the moldings were messed with to install the lights, in your case I would guess the windshield was replaced. The side moldings attach via two screws and clip to the roof rails, in my case the tabs on the roof rails were broken off. I was able to use small screws to attach the sides to the roof rails, since the screws were hidden by the lights.

You may have a bad windshield seal. Since the rest of the job was done badly, maybe the windshield itself was not done right.

Mike

2006 Adventure/Lux (The School Bus)

Old 06-14-2010, 09:06 AM
DH3

I pulled the headliner, just on the right side and ran the hose in the driveway.. Nothing??? I even pulled the weather strip/molding above the windshield to check for holes there (improper install), ofcourse there was nothing? The rails are flush to the roof, except on the driver side. There is a small rise over there, about 6" long and a 1/8 tall, but it passed the water test as well.. Water just drains/runs right behind the top of the windshield (along the tar/glue seal) and down both sides. I'm really at a loss about how its getting in.. I'm pretty much a pro now at uninstalling these parts, so the next time it leaks, i'm going to pull the headliner and see what all is wet, narrow it down that way.

The next item to check off the list is a Level Kit, maybe my problems will go away once I do that??

Thanks for the suggestions guys