PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Just finished installing the K&N FIPK....

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 08:34 PM
Default Just finished installing the K&N FIPK....

So, it's 10 degrees outside and I couldn't take it any longer. I've had it for a week and I really needed toinstall it on the H3. I cranked up my little propane heater in the garage and went to it. The installation is pretty straightforward. The hardest part was putting the rubbertubing around the metal shroud. It didn't help that I was freezing and shaking like an epileptic playing Nintendo. Once I got it on and double checked everything I started it up. Sounded pretty much the same as the stock box while it idled in the garage. I put all of the tools away and jumped in to go for a ride. As I exited the neighborhood I mashed the throttle.....Wow! The sound that emanated from under the hood was akin to a high school band geek trying to hit G flat on his new tuba. It was loud! I scurried around a few of the sidestreets and opened it up a few more times. I think I am going to like this thing! As far as performance goes, the old seat-o-the-pants meter registers a slight improvement in acceleration. Hopefully it translates into a little bit better mileage. I keep meticulous fuel records, so I shall update occasionally with my results. Now that I have the intake and a the Billy Boat exhaust, I think I need to send my computer in to get it tuned.......[sm=gears.gif]

Old 01-23-2008, 08:40 PM
Default RE: Just finished installing the K&N FIPK....

Man I wish they would hurry and develop one for the V8!!!! i want one BAD! Congrats on install. keep your foot out of it(yea right) and gas milage should improve.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:06 PM

I was "driving by sound" when I first installed my Gibson cat-back, causing my mileage to seriously drop.

Give it a few weeks to let the inner child out to play for a while, then do the testing.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:19 AM

ORIGINAL: cbetts

Give it a few weeks to let the inner child out to play for a while.....
My inner child is chained to one of those runners in the backyard!! I don't want to take a chance of him running away!![sm=happy046.gif]

I guess I'll never know if I've gotten any in improvements in MPG with my new mods!!

Old 01-24-2008, 08:58 AM

Extreme weather is no fun for car work. I installed my PCM in 110 degree weather. Even after letting the H3 cool for a while, I still got a blister on my hand from the heat stored in the metal. Not to mention trying to install the UCP as a dust storm hit.

Have fun with the new mod!

Old 01-24-2008, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

I am not a big fan of the remove the stock filter box and open in the corner design of the K&N kits (I think it gets you nothin), but it is good quality and enjoy.

The filter and the tube replacing the resonator boxis where the power is.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:01 AM

AGREED!! I wish SAMCO or someone else would make a silicone tube to go from the TB to the air box!! (for the ALPHA)...please.

regardless, congrats on the install!

ORIGINAL: Doc Olds

I am not a big fan of the remove the stock filter box and open in the corner design of the K&N kits (I think it gets you nothin), but it is good quality and enjoy.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Workin on it, but it is steel with silicone couplers and T Bolts. About 6-7 weeks out.

Does anybody make a performance filter yet......K&N??? To me it looks like a lot of the other GM rectangle filters?

Old 01-24-2008, 06:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Doc Olds

I dunno man....The entry hole into the airbox is about as big around as a silver dollar. That has to be like trying to breathe through a straw.