PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ISO/ new to the Hummer community

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 09:16 PM
Default ISO/ new to the Hummer community

Hi yall,
im new to the Hummer community but it is something I'm diving into with my whole heart.
Is there anything I should know, or look for when buying a low mileage Hummer H3 alpha that isn't (or is) common knowledge ? Things to know and expect from this specific vehicle model. Also things I'll have to fix that just wear with time or need replaced or maintenance that needs done to ensure it's overall reliability. I drive an evo so I'm no stranger to cars that have needs (lol)
For example all of the wranglers I know of (JK/JL, I had a TJ on 35's with a three inch lift- super basic manual windows and soft top but she still never leaked water into the inside. Drank coolant like water but never leaked) have leaky door issues with water, and random quality issues with electrical harnesses and electrical communications. (Not knocking the Jeep brand but I won't invest in any of them until they start caring about the safety of these vehicles on the road and the drivers )
* Thank you to any passionate Hummer driver who sees this and replies

Old 03-01-2019, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to HF.

One thing to know is you know is to post ONE question ONE time in ONE location.... and then wait for an answer.

Check the radiator carefully to see if it smells or leaks. Other than that, it is like any other GM truck.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:26 PM

That is fair, I am sorry for the noob-spam-multi-posts. Thank you for being patient.
I'm not savvy on GM trucks but thank you for the advice. I'll do some more research.

Old 03-03-2019, 08:22 AM

Hi Bionic Puma, I just bought my 08 Alpha a few weeks ago and here is what I overlooked:
- does the AC work at all fan speeds and all temperatures? If I adjust the AC on mine from cold, it immediately blows hot air.
- check under the floor mats to see if the carpets are wet. I did not check, and my right side carpets were wet, and had a hole in the rear passenger side.
- open the sunroof and pour water in the drain holes; does the water run onto the ground by the wheels? I did not check that, and the sunroof drains were blocked / hose disconnected.
- does it come with working fobs? Do they work, and unlock all the doors? Mine only came with one key, which locks and unlocks the drivers door only; I checked, but didn't check the other doors. BTW, Dealer in Miami wants $150 per fob, plus $135 to program to vehicle.
- how high does the engine temp go idling in traffic with the AC on? I didn't check before purchase.
- do all the windows and door locks work?
- any oil leaks underneath?
- does the radio work? Mine has an aftermarket with navigation: COOL, but I don't know how to operate it properly yet.
- jack and tools in the tailgate? Also spare tire under cover? Are they there?
- does the 4X4 switches on the dash work?
- any warning lights / messages on?

With all those things possibly wrong, I wouldn't say don't buy, but they can be used to negotiate a lower price. By the posts on this forum, most of these items are fixable at a reasonable cost if you are a DIYer.
Good luck with your purchase.