PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some Off-Roading 101

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator
Default Some Off-Roading 101

Here's my theory, and correct me if I'm wrong, because I don't know.....

If you are driving through a river or pond where the waterline is equal to or above the bottom door sil, is it the wake of the water being pushed away from your truck that prevents seepage into the cabin?

If you keep driving at a consistant speed, does enough water get displaced from the truck to stop it from getting up to the doors?

I'm just curious if that's how everybody is able to tread water that is higher then that and not ever get any seepage.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:15 PM
Default RE: Some Off-Roading 101

I do know this much, if you can keep your speed up it helps because you are pushing water away from the truck.Iusually don't pretending I am a submarine so if it looks iffy I take another route, because although the front door seals on my H2 are very good, the back door seals are crap and would certainly allow water to seep in if you stall orget stuck in water above the bottom of the door frame. Of course i have not tested it to be sure... Thats allI know and of course its my opinion so take it for what its worth..

Old 04-28-2008, 01:25 PM

Mike,

Try it and let me know how it turns out

Eric

JK man. It really depends on the vehicle and seals. Unfortunalty the only way to know it to do it.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:40 PM

Creating any kind of 'wake' can cause swells to different points of the vehicle, even if it's further back than the engine compartment.

The trick when you're right at the maximum depth is to create as little wake as possible (you also don't want to get stuck on a soft bottom).

If you're at the door sills, you're already flirting with problems -- the bottom of the plastic below the doors is what you want to keep the water below.

Have some people gone deeper and pushed water up near the headlights and made it out without any problems? Yes.

Have some peopledone the same thing andlosta ton of $$ on non-warranty flood damage? Yes.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:57 PM

Not to mention getting water in the Transmission and Diffs. They are not self contained like the H1.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

That's what I thought. After seeing some videos where the levels of mud seem a bit intense, I just wondered if the H3's capabilities exceeded what Hummer states they are at a reasonable level.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:02 PM

You should be able to drive through water abovefloor height and not get any inside for a period of 45 mins to an hour, however, the door seals may be weaker or may not seal properly and you will see water rush immediately.

With that said, I prefer trial by fire. JK. I would recomend that you keep treading through known depth waters if you do not want to risk it.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mine has a warning label in case I forget...

Old 04-28-2008, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

You know when you see something on somebody's truck that you wish you had before them but know if you get the same thing they do that you will be looked down upon for stealing that idea?

This is one of those times. [&o]

Old 04-28-2008, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Are you talking about my EZ-Pass? A lot of people have them....

Quick Reply: Some Off-Roading 101