PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need to see clearly, glass wise . . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Draketh
$200 is NOT oem glass. More in the neighborhood of $600-$900

I was able to strong arm my insurance company of springing for OEM glass and picking up the tab to the tune of $800.
You got taken then! I got GM/Guardian Industries Glass (Located here in MI) as my replacement for $212! I use a local Mom and POP glass place that only deals with OEM glass. They service all of the dealers in the area also. I don't use the big national brand glass guys. Most of their installers don't know what they are doing (on a HUMMER) and they won't service/warranty their products or installations.

Name:  1106160002.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  53.8 KB

Old 06-16-2011, 02:36 PM

All this info sounds good.
I just heard back and this is their reply to the type of glass they use

"We install Factory original glass not OEM"

Is there a difference ?

Old 06-16-2011, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by wfturner
All this info sounds good.
I just heard back and this is their reply to the type of glass they use

"We install Factory original glass not OEM"

Is there a difference ?
This is what I have been told. I'm not sure if it is 100% accurate, but it makes sense. Especially for vehicle body panels.
The OEM glass template is made with the exact original specifications of the vehicle.
Factory original glass templates are recreated through the means of reverse engineering. This means that the template is recreated by the measurements of the windshield and not by the original template. This method is cheaper and not always accurate. Aftermarket windshields sometimes do not fit right and can leak or have bad distortions in the glass...and with the H3 lots of wind noise!!

Old 06-16-2011, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by airborne227
This is what I have been told. I'm not sure if it is 100% accurate, but it makes sense. Especially for vehicle body panels.
The OEM glass template is made with the exact original specifications of the vehicle.
Factory original glass templates are recreated through the means of reverse engineering. This means that the template is recreated by the measurements of the windshield and not by the original template. This method is cheaper and not always accurate. Aftermarket windshields sometimes do not fit right and can leak or have bad distortions in the glass...and with the H3 lots of wind noise!!
Damn, now I'm thinking that these multiple dings aren't that bad after all [sic]
Like you, the last thing I want is a clean windshield, no dings or sand damage, BUT there is distortion and maybe a leak down the road later on.
I only stared thinking about this new windshield after I heard the $200.00 price.
I am not springing for a OEM windshield at twice or three times the price
I may have to rethink this process
Thanks for your help, everyone.

Last edited by wfturner; 06-17-2011 at 07:20 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:10 PM

My windshield looks like i have been through a sand storm, also have 4 chips, and one new big one. I really need a new windshield. I guess with 120,000 miles its not too bad though.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:13 PM
Banned

i doubt that the glass industry is in such a terrible condition that thay cant make a replacement piece.
that thick sticky goo they mount glass in should seal up even a imperfection,but i doubt youd see it.
in fact i doubt most people would tell the difference.
we seem to be perfectionists on some parts,,,then rip into other areas and change tires wheels ride height,use spacers,jack it up 4 inches,rip out air intakes for bent pipe!!!,,the list of major mods is endless,,change everything,,BUT I INSIST ON GLASS RIGHT OUTA THE FACTORY,,,HILARIOUS!!!!!!

OH GOTTA GET NEW HEADLITES FOR $500,,,and led tailights!!!,and how bout them whizbang gas filled shocks,the oem stuff is just junk!!1

Old 06-16-2011, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by wfturner
Damn, now I'm thinking that these multiple dings aren't that bad after all [sic]
Like you, the last thing I want is a clean windshield, no dings or sand damage, BUT there is distortion and maybe a leak down the later on.
I only stared thinking about this new windshield after I heard the $200.00 price.
I am not springing for a OEM windshield at twice or three times the price
I may have to rethink this process
Thanks for your help, everyone.
My GM dealer matched the price that I found here with no shipping cost, and since I was also paying for a 50,000 mile service they only charged me $30 dollars to install...plus all the 50k service costs. I would check with your dealership.
On other vehicles, I have always went with Safelite windshield due to the reasonable cost and lifetime warranty. But after having them replace my windshield three times on my previous H3 (two leaked and they broke one re-applying sealer, and the last had crazy loud wind noise). Plus one of the A-pillar covers started to bend away from the windshield but that might have been due to the AZ heat, being removed too many times, or the combination of both.
I decided to have my dealership do this one...no issues after the first replacement.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:17 PM

I just had mine replaced last week. I paid $171 with tax and they came to my place of work. Did a great job.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:12 PM

I own an auto glass replacement shop and have done multiple H3 replacements. To be honest, there is very little different between An OEM glass and a Guardian, PGW, Pilkington, Sekurit, and to a point FYG replacement glass. All of these brands are original providers to GM OEM and I have installed just about all of them in to various vehicles and the fit/finish and overall quality are good. I would say a couple tips to make sure they are doing your H3 right is that they remove the cowling along the bottom of the windshield. This is absolutely necessary to ensure a safe bond to the body and also to make certain there are no leaks. With the shape of the windshield, it really needs to have a person on each side and set as evenly as possible, not one guy trying to reach across the hood plopping down the bottom and then trying to position it. A couple other tips is that there should be proper prep and timing, a good urethane will have a Safe Drive Away Time of about an hour. They should be shooting also be shooting a triangle shaped bead of the urethane adhesive. If they follow most of these simple things that a relatively universally trained form the adhesive manufacturers, you should have a nice safe installation.