Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   I need to see clearly, glass wise . . . (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/i-need-see-clearly-glass-wise-24409/)

wfturner 06-15-2011 07:35 PM

I need to see clearly, glass wise . . .

My H3's windshield has several stone chips, some of which are fixed, but you can still see them and the rest of the windshield has many small chips too. Most are right in front of the driver, damn.
There is a local automotive glass company that will install a new windshield for $200.00 total
They even come to the house and do the install right here (me watching).
They claim they use heated urethane sealant and guarantee against any leaks

Is it me or does this sound too good to be true ?
Has anyone changed their windshield and can offer me any advice ?
Thanks

2wheelmonster 06-15-2011 08:27 PM

safelite auto glass does the same thing here, it's pretty cool to watch, I had a 93 pontiac grand am and they repaired a small crack that was starting on the passenger side lower corner of the windshield, that was about $50 because they just put the sealan on it to stop it, it worked until the head gasket went, guess I should have had them put sealant on that too!!!

talusfan 06-15-2011 08:43 PM

Price is about right for an aftermarket windshield install, there are different quality levels of glass.
Lots of people have had theirs replaced. When your shaped like a brick your bound to pick up a few chips.

rsc 06-15-2011 09:22 PM

Hahaha! Mine looks like it was driven in a sandstorm! I've had some small cracks fixed by insurance once but I think that I really need a whole new windshield now. Last chip I got was probably from me as there wasn't another car around for at least 400 yds! Man I hate that one!

TAINTER 06-15-2011 11:25 PM

I went out of pocket on my last windshield replacement and got them down to $212 bucks with a remote install ($199 if I came to their shop). So it sounds about right. If I went thru my insurance co. the lady said the charge to the ins. co. would have been about $375!

drtom 06-15-2011 11:55 PM

200 sounds good.
be sure they know about the black trim and how to handle it.

noise??we heard it b4

Draketh 06-16-2011 06:56 AM

Don't go with anything but OEM glass. I saw a H3 at a car show without it, and the difference was noticeable.

wfturner 06-16-2011 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Draketh (Post 252016)
Don't go with anything but OEM glass. I saw a H3 at a car show without it, and the difference was noticeable.

That was my first concern. No where in their estimate does it say what kind of glass they use
My factory glass may be a certain thickness, tint and quality. I will mention OEM and I can only imagine that will change my cost, hopefully not too much.

As we all know this steep raked windshield seems to collect everything but women and money

Draketh 06-16-2011 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by wfturner (Post 252017)
That was my first concern. No where in their estimate does it say what kind of glass they use
My factory glass may be a certain thickness, tint and quality. I will mention OEM and I can only imagine that will change my cost, hopefully not too much.

As we all know this steep raked windshield seems to collect everything but women and money

$200 is NOT oem glass. More in the neighborhood of $600-$900

I was able to strong arm my insurance company of springing for OEM glass and picking up the tab to the tune of $800.

airborne227 06-16-2011 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Draketh (Post 252025)
$200 is NOT oem glass. More in the neighborhood of $600-$900

I was able to strong arm my insurance company of springing for OEM glass and picking up the tab to the tune of $800.

I had an OEM windshield ordered/put in for $250 at my GM dealership that I use...Here I thought that $250 was expensive since Safelite was quoting me $190:D And yes, it is OEM with the GM logo