PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hummer H3 Recall by GM

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bunger
I'm sure that's exactly what they are doing.

If the new parts "fix" was available, it would be all over the various Hummer Forums and Facebook.
Agreed. So it makes no sense for the dealer to "fix" it now unless they are going to charge the owner for that fix.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:07 AM
Default H3 blower recall

Alright guys, i just got back from the dealer and they cant do the work because of typical red tape. GM has to send the parts along with a second letter to costumers announcing the availablity of parts and work authorization. We will however get it fixed and with a letter from the dealer certifying the problems was in fact the module and harness that were replaced, and a copy of the reciept, GM will reimburse the monies for the repairs.
This is my way of handling this ordeal because I live in South West Florida and you cannot be without AC around here.
I'll let you guys know how much this will set me back. It'll give an idea of the cost, if thats what you want to do.
Other than that guys we are stock with having to wait for GM.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Everybody will get ANOTHER LETTER telling us to call our local GM dealers when the parts are available. I consider this poor horse beat to death.
Name:  86.gif
Views: 136
Size:  2.8 KB

Until then, this thread is like I said before...... a bunch of girl scouts speculating on what the new cookie for 2016 will be.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

It's bananas you might say.

Name:  nanadrinkkris.gif
Views: 158
Size:  4.0 KB Name:  2791.gif
Views: 120
Size:  60.1 KB Name:  banana131.gif
Views: 157
Size:  3.0 KB
Name:  12.gif
Views: 145
Size:  2.5 KB

Old 08-21-2015, 12:16 PM
Default H3 blower recall

Well, at the risk of upsetting the owner of this thread and for those who might be interested, the total parts and labor was $247.22 if you're like me and have to have it right now.

Old 08-21-2015, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jrv435
Well, at the risk of upsetting the owner of this thread and for those who might be interested, the total parts and labor was $247.22 if you're like me and have to have it right now.
Thank you! That IS info people can use.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by jrv435
I'm actually surprised at the range of prices that dealers are charging for this prior to the recall. We've got quotes here in this thread alone ranging from under $250 to more than $750. Highly suspect since all dealers should be working out of the same book regarding parts costs and labor time estimates. The only significant variable would be their labor rates, but that shouldn't account for a 3X difference.

The other alternative, of course, for those so inclined, is to get out a soldering iron and do the "self-fix" for free to get them through the hot (or cold) weather till the recall parts become available. With prices like those (even at the lower end), it is worth learning to solder if you don't already know how.

Edit: On another forum, a user had his fixed at a dealer and the bill was just under $400, most of that ($320) in labor. That dealer replaced the resistor and the connector, but not the wiring harness. That increased the labor, since they had to install a new connector to the existing wiring, but decreased the parts price since the connector alone is cheaper than the wiring harness/connector.

In any case, the DIY fix seems like the way to go (if an owner can do it) till the official recall fix becomes available.

BTW, still haven't received my letter, even though I am registered on the GM website (in fact, received a letter offering me a free 3 mo. trial of OnStar), and the website reflects that my H3 (VIN#) is subject to the recall.

Last edited by 650Hawk; 08-26-2015 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:36 PM

If the dealers are doing the fix using existing current design parts then you still have the "issue".
The recall to fix the "issue" requires a newly designed connector.

When those new connectors are available then you would still need the recall fix.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:47 PM

We've had our H3 for almost ten years now and never had an issue with this. A few weeks ago I got the recall notice and didn't think anything of it, I had no problem waiting for parts to arrive since everything was working fine. Of course, last week (during a very hot week and heavy AC use) the blower stopped working, so no more AC. I called Hummer customer service, and was told the same thing... I could have the work done at the dealer now (at my expense) and then be reimbursed when the replacement part(s) are ready. Not wanting to be out ~$250 until who knows when (and having to deal with reimbursement claim paperwork), I just ordered the green resistor piece from Amazon (cost me $16) and replaced it in about 15 minutes. AC and blower works fine now. I figure this should tie me over until the replacement part is ready to be installed at the dealer.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:39 PM

Good job Carlos.

Quick Reply: Hummer H3 Recall by GM