PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hummer H3 Recall by GM

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 03:59 PM

Got mine done last week. I was with the mechanic when he did it. The old harness had no signs of overheating either by sight or smell.

Old 03-20-2016, 06:33 PM

The difference between the old one and the new one is the resistor size.
The new greenish resistor seems to be three maybe four times as large as the old one.

The way is was explained to me, the old resistor was small and generated too much heat at low fan settings.
The heat transferred back into the female connector and weakened the spring contact pressure.
Then when the fan was on the higher settings and more amp draw through the connector, the weakened spring
tension allowed the connection to arc or worse.

This new much larger resistor is capable of handling the heat from the lower settings and the female connector
is no longer subject to failures

Old 03-22-2016, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by wfturner
The difference between the old one and the new one is the resistor size.
The new greenish resistor seems to be three maybe four times as large as the old one.

The way is was explained to me, the old resistor was small and generated too much heat at low fan settings.
The heat transferred back into the female connector and weakened the spring contact pressure.
Then when the fan was on the higher settings and more amp draw through the connector, the weakened spring
tension allowed the connection to arc or worse.

This new much larger resistor is capable of handling the heat from the lower settings and the female connector
is no longer subject to failures
That actually makes sense; I kinda wondered why the recall letter said that running the fan at higher speeds would cause the overheating, especially when the higher speeds meant "less" heat from the resistor. The idea that running at low speeds generated heat (obvious) that weakened the contact pressure (not quite as obvious), which in turn allowed arcing at the higher amperage seen during high fan speed use (in spite of lower resistor heat)...Oh what a tangled web we weave!!! That at least partially explains why the "fix" took so long; it wasn't simply a matter of needing a better connector.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:40 AM

at top speed the resistors are out of the circuit,only the relay contact,full 12v direct.
the bigger resistor would dissapate the heat i guess

Old 03-22-2016, 12:46 PM

I had both of my H3's done last week. I had not experienced any problem with either but just yesterday, my buddy had the exact problem with his '09 chevy 2500HD. Wonder how many other GM vehicles out there are subject to the same risk??????? I am certainly going to have my YUKON DENALI checked out

Old 03-23-2016, 11:47 AM

I called two Boston area GM dealers, both took last eight digits and never called me back.

I called GM, got some very junior level CSR who arranged to have third dealer call me back after a day only to tell me GM still isn't sending them parts for this safety recall.

Annoying.

In other news, my boss at work got the Takata airbag recall letter from Honda, who directed him to his dealer who will provide alternative transportation if he doesn't feel safe driving his Honda today. Nice.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:21 AM

i guess I need to call the dealer or hummer customer service since I didn't get any of the recall letters.. 2nd owner might be why.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:25 AM
Thumbs up

Call 866-486-6376....Give them your VIN..They will get it straightened out. I bought my '06 in 2009..and the letter came to me..

Old 03-30-2016, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by 06h3red
i guess I need to call the dealer or hummer customer service since I didn't get any of the recall letters.. 2nd owner might be why.
Call Hummer. I purchased my H3 just around the time that the first letter came out and I never received the letter. After reading about the recall here, I called Hummer several months ago. I gave them my VIN number and I was informed that they would have sent the follow up letter automatically to the register owner. This is done through DMV. I received my letter and had the recall repair done yesterday. Good luck.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:22 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I have not done my recall yet. My Alpha is 2009, do I need the updated part? I guess I should call before it catches fire.

Last edited by H3Ray; 03-31-2016 at 01:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Hummer H3 Recall by GM