PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

How uncommon are rear lockers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 01:05 PM

Like Broken said alot of dealers don't really know what they have, when I got mine new from the Hummer dealer I knew just as much as the salesman from doing my homework before I went in.

How the Adv / Offroad was explained to me is the Adv was a base model w/ the offroad package any other models were called that model name w/ offroad pack, ie Lux w/ offroad, Alpha w/ offroad.

The 2 links you posted are not Adv/Offroad, the 1 Jduncan posted doesn't have an actual dash pic so who knows. If you find 1 your interested in & it doesn't have clear pic of the dash I would ask them for one as that's going to be the best way to tell. An Adv/Offroad will have 2 buttons to the right of the 4x4 buttons on 07-08 1 is the locker & 1 is the T/C, on 09-10 both are lockers & the T/C got relocated below the radio.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by theindian
You could always buy a base and with a few mods can make it an adventure The cost of a base is sure to be lower than the adventure and has most likely been a mall crawler with less wear and tear of course the tcase would not be the 4:1 gearing. And you could add the mods at your own pace so the cost is spread over time.
To be completely honest, the reason I decided to go with an H3 is because I'm tired of moding every vehicle I ever buy. I'm a Jeep guy at heart and if I wanted to buy something to mod I'd just buy an '02-'04 Grand Cherokee Limited/Overland and lift it enough to run 33's. The Quadra Drive 4wd system is much better than brake controlled traction control of an H3, a V8 is easy to find, lots cheaper, and a nicer interior with more bells and whistles. Ok, a real boxed frame is another reason to go H3 over a unibody Grand Cherokee. To me the appeal of the H3 is I can get one completely stock that will do everything and go everywhere I want. I'm pretty sure even a non-locker will do that (traction control is better than nothing), but I'm going to hold out a bit longer before I give up on getting an Adventure/Offroad.

edit: I did find one other option. Carmax will ship a vehicle from any of their other stores. Pay $200-$900 depending on location, up front, then look at it when it gets here. Add in their apparently slightly higher prices and for a couple grand more I can guarantee getting a locker. I'd rather find one locally, but if it comes down to it at least it's an option.

Last edited by skeptic; 10-30-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:41 AM

Good news, I found one! Bad news, they are closed on Sunday (I really hate some things about UT), and it will be a week before I can get down to where it is before I can even look at it.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by skeptic
To be completely honest, the reason I decided to go with an H3 is because I'm tired of moding every vehicle I ever buy. I'm a Jeep guy at heart and if I wanted to buy something to mod I'd just buy an '02-'04 Grand Cherokee Limited/Overland and lift it enough to run 33's. The Quadra Drive 4wd system is much better than brake controlled traction control of an H3, a V8 is easy to find, lots cheaper, and a nicer interior with more bells and whistles. Ok, a real boxed frame is another reason to go H3 over a unibody Grand Cherokee. To me the appeal of the H3 is I can get one completely stock that will do everything and go everywhere I want. I'm pretty sure even a non-locker will do that (traction control is better than nothing), but I'm going to hold out a bit longer before I give up on getting an Adventure/Offroad.

edit: I did find one other option. Carmax will ship a vehicle from any of their other stores. Pay $200-$900 depending on location, up front, then look at it when it gets here. Add in their apparently slightly higher prices and for a couple grand more I can guarantee getting a locker. I'd rather find one locally, but if it comes down to it at least it's an option.
Believe me you'll mod it! Wait you'll see

Old 11-01-2010, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by theindian
Believe me you'll mod it! Wait you'll see
Based on my track record... Ya, I probably will. However, knowing these can wear size 35" shoes with just a bit of front end cranking, the suspension, axles, etc. will stay stock. Engine bolt-ons, performance tuner/programmer, and possibly exhaust... Sliders, possibly aftermarket bumper. Roof rack if I find I need more space for camping and such. That's all staying pretty much stock, right?