PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

How uncommon are rear lockers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 02:27 PM
Default How uncommon are rear lockers?

Seriously... I can't find a single '07-'09 H3 within a reasonable "go look at it and decide if I want to try to make a deal" range that has a rear locker. Buying used and will probably trade-in my Cherokee, so I don't want to make a deal over the phone/e-mail without looking at one nor do I want to drive hours hoping for the best. This is UT, not south Florida, I'd expect the Adventure package to be more popular around here.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:21 PM

Honestly, the experience of driving one is the same with or without the locker unless you think the dealer is going to let you do some extreme off roading for the test drive. I really wanted the adventure package and drove a couple of automatics that had it, but in the end, my desire for a manual trumped my desire for the off road package. Finding the two together was next to impossible.

If your budget can get you into an 09, try to go that route, as they have rear AND front lockers when equipped with the adventure package. As for your Cherokee, I don't know about you, but I have better luck selling my vehicles out right than trading them. Last vehicle we bought the dealer offered us 3000 in trade. Kept the car, took it home, listed it on craigslist for 6000 and sold it for 5700 the next night. Got an extra laugh out of it as the dealer said his offer was so low because no one around there wanted manual transmissions. The guy who bought it lived two blocks from the dealership...

What kind of off roading do you do that makes you set on the locker only?

Old 10-28-2010, 07:55 PM

I'm not worried about testing the locker on the test drive, or that one with a locker will be different from one without. I'm worried about driving 2 1/2 hours then finding something wrong with it. Dealers are not always honest, it may have been beat on and the steering is sloppy, or who knows what else may be wrong.

The Cherokee is up for sale (although it doesn't seem to be showing in craigslist???), so if I can sell it for a reasonable price I will. However, I'm starting to get concerned that I'm not going to find something with a locker anytime soon and with winter coming I don't want to be without one or the other.

UT rocky trails and areas. I could get away without a locker, but there have been times when I wished I had one. I was also thinking I would find a local hummer group and wheel with them, finally get down to Moab if I could ever get time off during the summer, etc. For the minor price difference, getting one with a locker just makes sense for me. An '09 with front/rear locker would be ideal (ok -add the V8 and it would be ideal), but the price would need to be right.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:38 PM

I hope you what you want. I kind of know where you are coming from on the travelling to try to get what you want. I wasted my time and drove 3 hours to a dealership that had a manual in blue. Worked on the deal all day and they kept jacking the price up when it came time to close the deal. In the end I had to walk away. A month later, a black one, a year newer and with half the miles showed up locally. That is the one I have today. I do regret not getting the adventure package, but I have watched the surrounding market since, and I'd still be waiting now if I held out. Have a little patience and hopefully, the one you are looking for will show up.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:38 PM
Banned
Default lux lock

some 10, lux have lockers so u gotta look close or ask

i dont know abt 07+

Old 10-29-2010, 10:53 AM

Older Lux ones have lockers as well. In fact, the only H3 I can find with a rear locker within 150 miles is an '07 Lux model.. Unfortunately it has over 63k miles and is 140 miles away in another state. Mileage is not completely out of the question, but I'm really trying to stay around 50k or less. Not sure by the pics if it's just dirty inside (unusual for a dealer ad), or a bit scuffed up, and the spare is a different brand (if it's also a different size that's bad for AWD). Add in all the chrome that I don't want and I have an H3 that I'd check out if it were local, but no way am I going to drive 2 1/2 hours each way for something not exactly what I'm looking for, hoping I like it better than in the pics, and hoping I can get a good deal.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:22 PM

I drove 4 hours to get my H3. Took me 2 months to find it. I was coming off leasing a base H3 and wanted a adventure 2008+. I had a surgery coming up and was going to be down for some time so I had to pull the trigger early. If I could had waited to find something closer I would had. I purchased it over the phone without even driving it or seeing it. showed up, took about 15 minutes to sign papers, shake hands and go home.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:03 PM

Am I confused, or does Adventure Package equal rear locker (and other stuff) always, 100%? I have found a few now that are advertised as having "Adventure Package" but in looking at the photos they do NOT have the rear locker button on the dash.

Here is one for example: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Is the offroad package different from the adventure package? Here is one advertised as having the offroad package:
http://www.christophernissan.com/Veh...ails/866972563

Am I missing something or are these dealers just wrong? I'm basing rear locker or not completely on whether or not it has a locker button next to the traction control/stability control button above the stereo. I'm also assuming anything with Adventure package or Offroad package has a locker.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:05 PM
Banned
Default no button,no lock

,i cant see clearly,,looks like stab/trac button on both, not lock

if 2 buttons,front and rear locker

i dont know when f/r started,,i think 2010

both listings are confusing,,sorry

Last edited by drtom; 10-29-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:35 PM

Definitely stab/trac button on both and no locker button on either. F/R locker started in '09.

My last post wasn't asking if they had lockers, it's clarification as to why I'm seeing ads claiming "Adventure Package" or "Offroad package" on H3s that don't have lockers. Either Adventure/Offroad doesn't necessarily mean locker or the dealerships are claiming they have packages they don't actually have.

Quick Reply: How uncommon are rear lockers?