PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

How uncommon are rear lockers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 02:48 PM
Banned
Default yeah,confusion reighns

like i said b4,ive seen lux package with f/r lock in 2010

i guess u gotta get a close look

Old 10-29-2010, 02:49 PM

Man I didn't realize how lucky i must have been. The first one I looked at, test drove, and bought was an 07 adventure with rear locker, manual transmission, and 285/75/16s (Which I switched for the 285/75/16s Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2 Load rating E 10 plys I had just bought for my truck that I traded in.). I must say I love it and it is by far the smoothest manual transmission I have ever driven.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:18 PM

Need a "hairy eyeball" smiley.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by skeptic
Definitely stab/trac button on both and no locker button on either. F/R locker started in '09.

My last post wasn't asking if they had lockers, it's clarification as to why I'm seeing ads claiming "Adventure Package" or "Offroad package" on H3s that don't have lockers. Either Adventure/Offroad doesn't necessarily mean locker or the dealerships are claiming they have packages they don't actually have.
You noticed correctly. Dealerships, epically non hummer dealerships do not list them correctly at all. Typically if they list a "off road package" they are talking about a brush guard or UCP but not a locker. If they list a "adventure package" it may or may not be a adventure package. Easy way to quick check in photo's is to look at the spare tire. If it's a 2006-2009.5 the spare on a adventure will be a Bridgestone Duler AT RHS. The RHS is written small after the 'AT' and hard to see but the easy way to tell that it's a RHS is it will have nice lugs on the side walls. Non adventures, even Alphas that are non adventures will have goodyear wrangler RT/S or Bridgestone Duler AT (non RHS). 1/2 way through 2009 they started putting the crappy Bridgestone's on the non adventures. It's not 100% way to tell but chances are the spare has never been removed off of a H3 with less than 50k.

Here's a dueler AT RHS
http://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.p...1&d=1118190549

Here's a normal dueler AT non RHS
http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires..._rhs_ci2_l.jpg

Keep in mind the #1 thing with the adventure is not the locker, it's the 4:1 t-case.

Also something you should look for is a certified preowned H3. It HAS to have less than 50k miles on it and it has to be on a ex Hummer lot. The Hummer dealer has to have had certified it. If they did it before the warranty was up, that H3 will automatically have a bumper to bumper 100k mile warranty. You have to ask for it and it has to be a Hummer dealer or a dealer that owned a Hummer dealer to do it. 2006's can't do it but 2007+ all can.

Last edited by theBroken; 10-29-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:46 PM

Thanks - great info. A number of ads don't show the console area where the locker switch may be, being able to tell from the outside may help a lot if the pictures are clear enough. You're right on the TC being important. Not sure if I'd say more so than the locker, but I do enough slow steep driving that the additional gear reduction would be nice to have, both uphill and down.

Honestly though, I'm starting to sway on my Adventure package requirement. Searching up to 500 miles away just for kicks and to get an idea of how hard the are to find... Colorado seems to have them all. I swear, it's like 1/4 of the CO ads have lockers. Beyond that, they simply do not seem to exist around here. There is one, ONE ad within a reasonable drive that claims to be an adventure package that I cannot confirm/deny from the pictures. Every single other one is not really and Adventure. Armed with new info on the spare I'll check it again, and if necessary (or it looks to really be an Adventure) I'll go look tomorrow in person. There are also a number that don't claim Adventure, don't show the console, but may be Adventure that I can sorta check by looking at the spare.

As for certified, there is a local lot that is looking for me that sells certified vehicles of all (or at least several) makes. Apparently they work with local new car dealerships to get them certified then sell them with the remainder of the factory warranty. Of course I'd make sure this is completely accurate and I'd be getting a warranty before signing the papers.. Either way, it will either be factory warranty or paying for an extended one. Warranty just covered a couple grand worth of work on our Avalanche (still had to pay about $600 out of pocket).

I don't know why it is, but it seems every time I go to buy a used car I decide I have to have a specific option or set of options that turn out to be hard to find...

Ah well, at least you guys have been friendly and helpful and haven't told me to quit whining about it yet.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:25 PM

Have you looked at this one?
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

I don't know where you are in UT, but this seemed like the best chance of being an adventure package within 150 miles of Salt Lake City.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:57 PM

I have seen it in my searching, but I didn't see anything that suggested it might be an Adventure package. Am I missing something in the ad/pictures? I do like the looks of it and it sounds like what I'm after - no bling, dark cloth interior, good exterior color, and I really like the blacked out grill instead of chrome. Miles and price are right where I'm looking. I sent them an e-mail asking for more details just in case your hunch is right.

Not that it matters, I'm about a half hour north of SLC, just south of Ogden.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:05 PM

Well, tire size is the only clue pointing that way, though the ad states it has new tires, so they may have went with the bigger size. The only way to be sure is the switch on the dash. Other than that, the closest one I saw that was for sure was a red one in Idaho.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by skeptic
I have seen it in my searching, but I didn't see anything that suggested it might be an Adventure package. Am I missing something in the ad/pictures? I do like the looks of it and it sounds like what I'm after - no bling, dark cloth interior, good exterior color, and I really like the blacked out grill instead of chrome. Miles and price are right where I'm looking. I sent them an e-mail asking for more details just in case your hunch is right.

Not that it matters, I'm about a half hour north of SLC, just south of Ogden.
You could always buy a base and with a few mods can make it an adventure The cost of a base is sure to be lower than the adventure and has most likely been a mall crawler with less wear and tear of course the tcase would not be the 4:1 gearing. And you could add the mods at your own pace so the cost is spread over time.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:13 AM
Banned
Default tires

ok, i tried for 30 min.,,what is rhs on my tires!

i cannot find on web or search

Quick Reply: How uncommon are rear lockers?