PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HILL CLIMBING PART 2(WITH PHOTOS AND INCLINE INFO)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Default HILL CLIMBING PART 2(WITH PHOTOS AND INCLINE INFO)

I have a hill on my property I need to know how to determine if my H2 can safely climb it or not. I have to know because once down there is no other way back up. I want to go down there to cut up all the dead trees for firewood. What are the general criteria one uses to determine if an H2 can climb a particular hill? Thanks, Edgar

NEW UPDATE SUNDAY 12/7

OK, I measured incline which is from 20-26 degrees.

Here are 2 photos of the hill from the side. I cut a road up the hill and put 4 orange surveyor's tapes to mark it which you can see towards the top of the visible slope. (You may need to enlarge the photos. If you can't see the tape just assume the road is at the top of the visible slope.) The first photo linked is from the bottom 1/2 way up, and the second from 1/2 way up to the top. The terrain is covered with leaves which are somewhat slippery. The dirt underneath is pretty solid unless there is a lot of wheel spin.

http://02c8b75.netsolhost.com/DSC02121.JPG
http://02c8b75.netsolhost.com/DSC02122.JPG

ALSO: What gear settings are best to climb this kind of hill? I know low range in 1st gear, but should I turn on the wheel lock button? How about the towing button?

THANKS MUCH GUYS!

EDGAR

Old 12-07-2008, 05:24 PM
Default RE: HILL CLIMBING PART 2(WITH PHOTOS AND INCLINE INFO)

Oh, Yes my mouth is watering just thinking about this hill. I prob would try it locking the hubs. but I'm not sure if would worry about the towing button because if I understand it correctly the towing has no practical use at low speeds under..... say 20mph. But from the look at the pictures I may not push any button at, just creep along and have fun. Oh and be sure to move any tress or limds that laying diaginally across the path, those might a slip and slid your truck to the side some. the one laying there does not look to bad, but I would still move it. Great area to play!!

Old 12-08-2008, 07:56 AM

Thanks Chuck and Christy for the info. Sounds reasonable, my main concern is tire slippage and going sideways into rocks or trees.

Edgar

Old 12-08-2008, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

I would say if it is dry, and the ground is firm, you should not have a problem with that slope. Use low lock, slow and easy. If you still are concerned, a friend at the top with a winch is about all you would need to make sure you can get out.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:29 PM

Thanks Doc, I hope you are right. What do you think the case would be trying to carry a load of firewood up the hill? Would that make it harder because of the load or easier because of better traction from the extra weight? After all, that's the whole point in doing it.

My major fear is sliding back sideways and turning over with the higher center of gravity from the firewood. What's the best way to avoid that disaster?

Edgar

Old 12-08-2008, 12:52 PM

Maybe dropping your tires air pressureto about 20 psi will help soften the ride give better tractionover those rocks. I think you will a great time with it. Heck I live out in the country and I don't even use my driveway anymore, I just pull off the road and head up a steap bank into my front field and make my way up to the house. I call that "The Hummer Entrance" I just gotmy wife to start doing it with her H3 i got her for her birthday and now she has a blast. The folks around us think were just nuts, but their really not to surprised anymore after we landed a plane in the front yard. Its fun keeping people guessing.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

I think you will be carting wood up that hill on a regular basis once you do it the first time.

I think the key is DRY conditions. A bit of rain/dew/frost might start to turn it into a slick situation, that iswhat you want to avoid.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:06 PM

Thanks, I agree about doing it when dry especially with all the leaves. Generally what is the maximum hill slope an H2 can handle going up?

Edgar

Old 12-11-2008, 01:59 PM

So how it worked out. Any update yet? I'm excited for you

Old 12-11-2008, 06:12 PM

Hello Friend,
As an alternate recovery method, If you have a WINCH on your H2 and a small trailer wagon you can drive your H2 to the top edge where the slope begins and then slowly lower the trailer wagon down the slope using your WINCH.
Fill your trailer wagon with the wood, then pull lift your trailer wagon up the slope using the WINCH.
Safari Hummer H2