PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High beam headlights :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Broken Halo
Sorry Broken, but true HID's don't have filaments.....light is produced by an electrical arc between 2 electrodes igniting Xenon gas. As wfturner said, your hi and low beam are controlled by a 'shade' that drops down, partially covering the lamp giving you the 'low' beam effect.
Mine must be unique then. Mine don't have a shutter or shade, it's just a bulb with 2 gas tubes on it which I was referring to as filaments. There's no shutter on them. One is much brighter than the other, nothing drops down.

Name:  241020091432.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  170.5 KB
I know this because a separate signal is sent to the bulb. When I wired my LED's to the lights they were on the low beam and when I hit the highs they turned off so I had to rewire them with a inline plug with a jumper wire to run off both the high and low beam.

Name:  251220091867.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  61.9 KB
Name:  251220091866.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  90.0 KB

Old 10-20-2011, 03:02 PM

So you have two bulbs per side of vehicle and in one headlight housing ?
One bulb comes on for low beam and then the other bulb comes on for high beam or do both bulbs come on for high beam?
That would be rather interesting

You have a unique system to say the least.
Do you get allot of dazzle when on low beam ?

Last edited by wfturner; 10-20-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by wfturner
So you have two bulbs per side of vehicle and in one headlight housing ?
One bulb comes on for low beam and then the other bulb comes on for high beam or do both bulbs come on for high beam?
That would be rather interesting

You have a unique system to say the least.
Do you get allot of dazzle when on low beam ?
Your correct. Each.... unit or each side has two glass bulbs, I just figured that's how all non projectors were. One bulb I remember was clear and the other had a rough gritty material on part of it which was in between the two bulbs. Each bulb then has 3 wires going into it. One is ground and 2 are for power. The other thing I remember being different when I sent back the first set that only had low beams was that the low beam HID's had super small ballast compared to the new one I got with high and low beam.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:35 PM

I think what Broken has IS a true HID, but it's the way they make retrofit HIDs. The Starr's, and OEM's use the shutter system. The retrofits can be made cheaper by not using a mechanical shutter, and having 2 Xenon tubes per assembly (hi/low beam) instead. The projector housing can only be 'tuned' for 1 Xenon tube, not 2 tubes side by side because they can't both be on center. That's why they use a shutter, so whether you're on hi beam or low beam you get optimal reflection. Since the retrofits aren't matched to the projector anyway, it doesn't matter using the side by side setup.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by theBroken
Your correct. Each.... unit or each side has two glass bulbs, I just figured that's how all non projectors were. One bulb I remember was clear and the other had a rough gritty material on part of it which was in between the two bulbs. Each bulb then has 3 wires going into it. One is ground and 2 are for power. The other thing I remember being different when I sent back the first set that only had low beams was that the low beam HID's had super small ballast compared to the new one I got with high and low beam.
Not to beat this dead horse, but you probably have heard from others on here that they have NO high beam after installing certain types of "kits".
Yours seem to get around that issue. I assume yours are newer units ?

BUT, you get allot of dazzle because of the stock headlight housing, yes ??
Have cars flashed you back at night, even on low beam ?
Just curious

Old 10-21-2011, 08:20 AM

The ddm tuning lights do not use a shutter for their bi-xenon bulbs. The HID bulb is mounted on a spring loaded platform and an electromagnet is used to compress the spring, changing the position of the arc. Supposedly, the two positions the HID arc matches the positions of the two filaments in the factory bulb, utilizing the reflectors the same way the halogen would.

I ended up removing my DDM lights. They didn't always light reliably and had enough glare that I would get flashed by oncoming drivers once a week. The bulbs in the fogs were much worse as the ones I got didn't have the black shield at the end. If you remove that shield, you are insuring that other drivers are going to be giving you the high beam relentlessly as the amount of glare these bulbs made in my foglights was unbelievable. I couldn't run them at all when meeting traffic.

I wish I could afford the STARR system. The buy in is just too high. If anyone has a used set and would be willing to trade for a high end laptop, let me know. Otherwise, I'm stuck with the factory halogens.

Last edited by JDuncan; 10-21-2011 at 09:14 AM. Reason: typo correction
Old 10-21-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by JDuncan
The ddm tuning lights do not use a shutter for their bi-xenon bulbs. The HID bulb is mounted on a spring loaded platform and an electromagnet is used to compress the spring, changing the position of the arc. Supposedly, the two positions the HID arc can be in matches the positions of the two filaments in the factory bulb, utilizing the reflectors the same way the halogen would.

I ended up removing my DDM lights. They didn't always light reliably and had enough glare that I would get flashed by oncoming drivers once a week. The bulbs in the fogs were much worse as the ones I got didn't have the black shield at the end. If you remove that shield, you are insuring that other drivers are going to be giving you the high beam relentlessly as the amount of glare these bulbs made in my foglights was unbelievable. I couldn't run them at all when meeting traffic.

I wish I could afford the STARR system. The buy in is just too high. If anyone has a used set and would be willing to trade for a high end laptop, let me know. Otherwise, I'm stuck with the factory halogens.
You mention all good information
A guy I befriended down the street has an 08 H3 and has aftermarket HID kit and he is constantly being flashed by oncoming traffic. We got to talking one day and checked out the STARR system I have. He is saying the same as you they are pricey. Teaka Toys and
one other online retailer sells them for about one hundred dollars less than straight from STARR.

I am impressed with the Retrofit Source, but heating up the sock headlight housings and cutting them up to fit the HID module was not something I was willing to do.

Everyone will have to make their on decision on HID,s