PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High beam headlights :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 07:40 AM
Question High beam headlights :(

On my 2006 H3 I replaced my stock headlights and fogs with bi-xenon ddmtuning HIDs. The bright lights are terrible still!!! I noticed there is a cover that goes overtop of the bulb itself if you look right into the headlight. Can this be removed and this will help "throw" the bright lights out further? I miss having high beams to see down the road further!

Old 10-20-2011, 08:49 AM

What series HIDs did you get? The lower the number the brighter they are... I wouldn't try to remove the cap, more than likely if will damage the bulb and you'll have to replace it...

Old 10-20-2011, 09:12 AM

The cover is built into the factory housing of the headlight assembly. It wouldn't affect the ddmtuning bulb that slides in behind it.

The cover has a star or asterick type screw that would allow it to be removed.

Look at your H3 headlight and you'll see that the bulb isn't exposed, it resides behind a cover. I assume this cover reflects the bulb back into the main reflectors on the inside of the headlight assembly, but I also think it interferes with the high beam's "throwing" distance.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:13 AM

Also, I have the 10k for headlights - bi-xenon
And I have 8k for foglights

Old 10-20-2011, 09:40 AM

If you remove that piece that covers the bulb you will have a headlamp that looks like a halo. That little thing that covers the bulb is a reflector, light bounces off it and back to the large reflector and wash the light so it broadcast more light onto the road.

If your high beams seem to be no different or not much different than your low beams you have the wrong bulbs installed. They need to be dual filament.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by jbs45
On my 2006 H3 I replaced my stock headlights and fogs with bi-xenon ddmtuning HIDs. The bright lights are terrible still!!! I noticed there is a cover that goes overtop of the bulb itself if you look right into the headlight. Can this be removed and this will help "throw" the bright lights out further? I miss having high beams to see down the road further!
Some HID "kits" won't give you a high beam.
True HID projection lights that have the projection module (lens, bulb, shield, housing)
These types of lights have a high beam that is made by the shield dropping down, offering more throw of the light. Low beam is just the same amount of light, but partially shielded
If you did any kind of search you will find that many people have had problems getting the so called high beam to work after installing those "kits"
"Kits" are the systems that put HID bulbs in the stock H3 headlight housing.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:51 AM

thanks for the replies!

So what do you suggest I use? Any links or pictures of true HID replacements, not just kits?

Old 10-20-2011, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by jbs45
thanks for the replies!

So what do you suggest I use? Any links or pictures of true HID replacements, not just kits?
Just make sure that they are a double filament. Typically they cost around 30% more than the same bulb with a single filament.

Here's pictures of mine, not sure the brand I just know that I had to switch them out in the beginning because they were not dual filament. Once I got the dual filament the high beams worked fine the only difference was that the ballast were larger in size.

Name:  DSC00409.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  64.2 KB
Name:  DSC00405.jpg
Views: 1925
Size:  83.1 KB
You can see here that you don't have to take anything out of the headlamp if your just installing the bulbs.
Name:  DSC00412.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  69.8 KB

Old 10-20-2011, 01:38 PM

Sorry Broken, but true HID's don't have filaments.....light is produced by an electrical arc between 2 electrodes igniting Xenon gas. As wfturner said, your hi and low beam are controlled by a 'shade' that drops down, partially covering the lamp giving you the 'low' beam effect.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:59 PM

Broken Halo beat me to this reply (he types faster) and he is correct about NO filaments, in HID bulbs.

jbs45-
There are some HID projection systems out there.
I have the STARR HID lights and there is, The Retrofit Source

http://www.starrhid.com/

The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications

Both good systems, but the STARR system is DOT approved and The Rerofit Source
is not DOT approved

Quick Reply: High beam headlights :(