PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

HID kit that works!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 06:40 PM

driven with them in snow and fog this year quite a bit already, seems to cut right through it. i have no complaints.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:58 AM

i put ddm tunning 55 watt for headlights and 35 watt for foglights. I had to point my headlights down a bit as I was getting flashed by oncoming drivers. Foglights seem to be pointing up to high as well. anyone have problems with aiming headlights and foglights after HID conversion?

Old 01-08-2011, 12:15 PM

yeah the hids generally glare more than standard halogens, which is why factory hids are always in a projector style housing. ive put hids in 2 different vehicles and have always had to point them down a bit after so they dont blind people.

i just put 3000k hids in the fog lights and its abso-f'n-lutely amazing! the fog lights have a better beam pattern than the regular driving lights in the hummers and its crazy how much they light up the road.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by heyttsguy

i just put 3000k hids in the fog lights and its abso-f'n-lutely amazing! the fog lights have a better beam pattern than the regular driving lights in the hummers and its crazy how much they light up the road.
What was the brand, model number and price? Did they come in 5000k or 6000k? Thanks!

Old 01-22-2011, 01:19 PM

Hey just thought I'd give everyone a heads up about a HID retro-fit kit that works. I just finished installing a H13 bi-xenon kit from PilotHID.com and it works seamlessly with low beams, high beams, and the DRLs. It uses a wiring harness and relay to trigger the ballasts. 2 grounds to hook up and a positive to the battery, the rest is plug and play.
I just ordered a kit but I noticed in your post that you had it powering your DRL's

From the PilotHID FAQ site about the DRL's:
Will DRL (daytime running lights) or Auto Switch On affect the HID kit?
For vehicles with DRL that use the same bulb for both DRL and low beam you will need to deactivate your DRL. DRL operate on reduced wattage or fluctuating current levels. This will cause the HID system to flicker and burn out prematurely. Please ensure that your OEM headlight harness is providing a constant 12 volts to ensure that no damage will be caused to the HID system.
The Auto Switch On will not affect the HID conversion kit or bulbs. The lights will simply turn on just like your factory halogen bulbs turned on before.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by boatpuller
i put some silverstars in our h3 and couldn't tell any difference to speak of.i ordered a 55watt digital 6000k hid bi-xenon which is low and high beam and was blown away at the difference...email todd at retrosolutions.com and tell him ben sent you.he'll make up a kit with a resistor in it that meets the needs of our hummers.
Is his email todd@retrosolutions.com? retrosolutions seems to be an open domain (no one owns it).

Old 02-21-2011, 11:08 AM

this is what i purchased for the fog lights, there's a few different color temps available.

http://www.pilothid.com/ssh10.html

Old 02-21-2011, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Broken Halo
What was the brand, model number and price? Did they come in 5000k or 6000k? Thanks!
Originally Posted by airborne227
I just ordered a kit but I noticed in your post that you had it powering your DRL's

From the PilotHID FAQ site about the DRL's:
Will DRL (daytime running lights) or Auto Switch On affect the HID kit?
For vehicles with DRL that use the same bulb for both DRL and low beam you will need to deactivate your DRL. DRL operate on reduced wattage or fluctuating current levels. This will cause the HID system to flicker and burn out prematurely. Please ensure that your OEM headlight harness is providing a constant 12 volts to ensure that no damage will be caused to the HID system.
The Auto Switch On will not affect the HID conversion kit or bulbs. The lights will simply turn on just like your factory halogen bulbs turned on before.

Yeah I have them powering my DRL's. However they are being switched on and off by a relay included in the kit. The low power DRL voltage has enough juice to switch the relay on, in turn sending full power to the ballasts from the battery. There is no flickering. If you don't have a relay wiring harness it won't work properly like this.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:17 AM

just to be clear, with the kit installed, the DRL's will be at full power just like having your headlights on.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:34 AM

yeah the hids generally glare more than standard halogens, which is why factory hids are always in a projector style housing. ive put hids in 2 different vehicles and have always had to point them down a bit after so they dont blind people.

Glad you are happy about your new light setup, however,
DOT HID's do not have to be projector style to work properly.
Toyota has used refractor style HID's is some cars.
All HID's do require a special housing for them to work properly and prevent glare.
That is why all "kits" (retro fit) are illegal. Kits are generally designed to be put into halogen headlight housings
This link below may be a surprise to you or not . . .

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

Last edited by wfturner; 02-24-2011 at 09:39 AM.

Quick Reply: HID kit that works!