PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

HID headlights (buy or bust)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 01:48 PM
Default RE: HID headlights (buy or bust)?

I do not like them but if you do go for it.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...dvantages.html

RICER LIGHTS

Old 04-21-2008, 02:36 PM

who's got the best price right now for the STARR kit?

Old 04-21-2008, 03:33 PM
JL

ORIGINAL: wfturner

I own a set of the Starr HID lights from SIG Automotive Concepts
These lights are approved by DOT and I have not heard they they will be banned because of not having washers
Quite honestly that doesn't even make sense.
I have pulled the fuse #39 because I don't care for DRLs. The Starr HID lights can work with or without DRLs
What may be banned is ALL the HID retro kits out on the market. These lights produce dangerous amounts of dazzle.
I have read that you can be stopped by the police if they suspect you have illegal head lights
There is also no mention of the DOT approval on any of those web sites that sell HID "kits"
Again, if you purchase the DOT approved HID lights from SIG Autmotive Concepts you can be assured that
those lights are legal. The instructions do require that you aim them correctly and gives you a step by step way of aiming the lights are the install

I posted some additional in formation concerning all this on my post awhile back, see below

http://www.gmhummer.com/forums/showt...ghlight=lights
x2
I have the STARR HID's also. Keep in mind that these are not only HID's but also Projectors. HID's are good for the driver but the oncoming traffic can
get the dazzle that wfturner mentioned above. The Projector HID's like the STARR lights create an even "Cut-off" line that can be aimed so you won't
get anyone flashing you except for the occassional hot chick cause she likes you ride!

Old 04-21-2008, 05:30 PM
CWS

Nice rig and welcome aboard.

Cliff

Old 04-21-2008, 05:30 PM
CWS

ORIGINAL: CWS

Nice rig and welcome aboard, Mahalo.

Cliff

Old 04-21-2008, 06:58 PM

ORIGINAL: jman_in_minnesota

who's got the best price right now for the STARR kit?

I believe Teaka Toys has the best price
Call and ask for Brad Gardner
http://www.TeakaToys.com/Hummer_H3_H...hid-h31001.htm

Old 04-21-2008, 09:10 PM

ORIGINAL: wfturner

What may be banned is ALL the HID retro kits out on the market. These lights produce dangerous amounts of dazzle.
I have read that you can be stopped by the police if they suspect you have illegal head lights
That's what I meant, sorry if it came across like I was talking about the washers.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:26 AM

I bought a retro-fit kit on ebay and intalled it in my H3. It was about $300. What a mistake.

After adifficult installation, they didn't work as promised. They were certainly bright, but the beam pattern was horrible. Also, the wiring of the ballast was not as straightforward as promised. I removed them after a few daysand put the stock lights back in. Fortunately, the vendor gave me a refund when I returned them.

I've heard good things about the STARR lights, but I can tell you from first hand experience, don't go with a retrofit kit that fits HD bulbs into your existing headlight housing.

Good luck!

Old 04-22-2008, 08:35 AM

ORIGINAL: Dennis C

I bought a retro-fit kit on ebay and intalled it in my H3. It was about $300. What a mistake.

After a difficult installation, they didn't work as promised. They were certainly bright, but the beam pattern was horrible. Also, the wiring of the ballast was not as straightforward as promised. I removed them after a few days and put the stock lights back in. Fortunately, the vendor gave me a refund when I returned them.

I've heard good things about the STARR lights, but I can tell you from first hand experience, don't go with a retrofit kit that fits HD bulbs into your existing headlight housing.

Good luck!

That's the best advice I've read so far, nicely put .
You can also order directly from SIG Automotive Concepts
http://www.starrhid.com/index.asp?Pa...ATS&Category=1

Old 04-22-2008, 08:54 AM

good info everyone, haven't decided yet if I want to do the upgrade, but I sure miss HID lights...in fact I remember telling myself I'd never go back, oops

Quick Reply: HID headlights (buy or bust)?