PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID headlights (buy or bust)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 04:03 PM
Default HID headlights (buy or bust)?

Hi guys, this is my first post on Hummer Forums.

Did anybody install H13 HID's on their H3? and if you did or didnt, would you think that HID's would be worth installing? I dont like the fact that it will always be on with the daytime running lamps, but I am willing to install them anyways. If anybody that has them installed, do you guys have any difficulties with them?

Heres my 07 Hummer H3 in Kauai, Hawaii

(Going up the mountain to Kokee)

(comming down the mountain from Kokee to Waimea town)

(most recent pics)

Old 04-20-2008, 04:36 PM
Default RE: HID headlights (buy or bust)?

First, IF you do get them just pull the #39 fuse out. This will make it so that you don't have DRL's anymore.

Second, I read or heard somewhere (may have been on here) that they are getting ready to make it illegal to have HID's on any car that didn't come stock that way. May want to check that out before you spend the money on them.

Third, I just replaced my bulbs and that was good enough. Are they as good as the output of HID's, NO of course not. But they are alot better than OEM. And just looking at them you can't tell the difference between them and HID's (at night)

Old 04-20-2008, 06:03 PM

The issue with HIDs in Europe is that you have to have headlight washers. That might be the reason why they plan to ban them in the US. Thanks for the fuse trick for the DRL

Old 04-20-2008, 06:29 PM

Thanks for the DRL trick... I didnt know that you could do that.. Here in kauai it can get pretty dark at night, especially where I live there are no street lights. The stock lights are enough to get around, but im extremely dissapointed at the stock highlights.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:43 PM

I also replaced the bulb in the headlights as well as the fog and that did the trick. Try that first before spending the time and $ on HID's

Old 04-20-2008, 09:06 PM

ORIGINAL: rhill20

First, IF you do get them just pull the #39 fuse out. This will make it so that you don't have DRL's anymore.

Second, I read or heard somewhere (may have been on here) that they are getting ready to make it illegal to have HID's on any car that didn't come stock that way. May want to check that out before you spend the money on them.

Third, I just replaced my bulbs and that was good enough. Are they as good as the output of HID's, NO of course not. But they are alot better than OEM. And just looking at them you can't tell the difference between them and HID's (at night)
What brand did you go with? I do a lot of night driving and could use a little bit more light.

TIA

Old 04-20-2008, 10:11 PM

I have the Streetglow lights that Impy sells. Both Headlights and fog. To be honest I don't think there is anything that you can do to fix the highbeam problem short of completely changing out the headlights. But the combo of headlights (low beams) with the fogs do pretty well now.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:23 AM

You won't have problems in Kauai. Here are some picks of 6000k's installed in the headlights and driving lights. After running HID's for the last 8 years in 3 vehicles i'll never run halogen again. Just make sure that you aim the headlights correctly. The HID's will scatter light. I only use the HID driving lights when there's no other vehicles or really heavy rain. The driving lights have no glare guards and the arc of the xenon bulb is very bright.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:12 AM

wow those look great! where did you buy those from? Yeah.. if they're too bright I would do the same and just drive with the driving lights instead... I dont want to intentionally blind someone on the road, I see silly ricers here with their HID's pointing up blinding people cuz they think is funny... until they kill someone...

Old 04-21-2008, 12:37 PM

I own a set of the Starr HID lights from SIG Automotive Concepts
These lights are approved by DOT and I have not heard they they will be banned because of not having washers
Quite honestly that doesn't even make sense.
I have pulled the fuse #39 because I don't care for DRLs. The Starr HID lights can work with or without DRLs
What may be banned is ALL the HID retro kits out on the market. These lights produce dangerous amounts of dazzle.
I have read that you can be stopped by the police if they suspect you have illegal head lights
There is also no mention of the DOT approval on any of those web sites that sell HID "kits"
Again, if you purchase the DOT approved HID lights from SIG Autmotive Concepts you can be assured that
those lights are legal. The instructions do require that you aim them correctly and gives you a step by step way of aiming the lights after the install

Last edited by wfturner; 10-27-2011 at 07:36 AM.

Quick Reply: HID headlights (buy or bust)?