PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Help me make my Hummer H2 stock again

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 04:37 PM

A few pictures of the suspension should make it easy enough for one of us to tell.

Old 12-09-2018, 05:43 PM

How it is now vs when I bought it. I think you're right, the smaller tires make it look taller.

285/70R17

315/70R17

Old 12-09-2018, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
A few pictures of the suspension should make it easy enough for one of us to tell.
I mean it looks stock from what I can tell but I don't know much about suspension.

Front driver side

Front driver side

Front driver side

Read driver side

Read passenger side

Old 12-09-2018, 07:24 PM

That looks totally stock to me..... No coil spring spacers in the rear and everything up front looks original. H2's are pretty tall to begin with. Most came from the factory with side step bars which do make getting in/out easier and also helps keep you from wearing out the side bolster on the seats when getting in and out. There were also some optional U steps but these days a well used set of four of those will set you back over a grand. You can get the side nerf bars steps for a couple hundred. Not having those on it also helps to make it look taller.

You can also find stock wheels on Craigslist pretty regular. Even better if you want stock is you can often also find the spares which will be a brand new wheel with a likely still brand new tire on it. Just will want to check the tire close for dry rot due to the age of it. There were a few styles of the wheels as well. Some were full satin and some were identical but polished chrome. There were also a couple of limited edition wheels and a couple of the late models had 20" wheels. Most came with the 17" ones. I found a set of near perfect chrome ones for mine - I think I paid $400 for them.

Last edited by MixManSC; 12-09-2018 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:07 AM

Stock wheels would look much better, So would painting the front fender.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
That looks totally stock to me..... No coil spring spacers in the rear and everything up front looks original. H2's are pretty tall to begin with. Most came from the factory with side step bars which do make getting in/out easier and also helps keep you from wearing out the side bolster on the seats when getting in and out. There were also some optional U steps but these days a well used set of four of those will set you back over a grand. You can get the side nerf bars steps for a couple hundred. Not having those on it also helps to make it look taller.

You can also find stock wheels on Craigslist pretty regular. Even better if you want stock is you can often also find the spares which will be a brand new wheel with a likely still brand new tire on it. Just will want to check the tire close for dry rot due to the age of it. There were a few styles of the wheels as well. Some were full satin and some were identical but polished chrome. There were also a couple of limited edition wheels and a couple of the late models had 20" wheels. Most came with the 17" ones. I found a set of near perfect chrome ones for mine - I think I paid $400 for them.
Okay cool, I think you're right I just need to put some steps on the side and it will feel a lot better. It has some skid bars instead of steps so I might go talk to a local welder and see if it's cost effective to weld some steps to it since I like that nerf bar look.

Old 12-10-2018, 04:52 PM

I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with the wheels, they just need to be refinished. When I went aftermarket on my wheels I kept the 17" size. Keeps a world of options open for tires and typically reduces their price as well compared to larger set ups.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by LoJac963
I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with the wheels, they just need to be refinished. When I went aftermarket on my wheels I kept the 17" size. Keeps a world of options open for tires and typically reduces their price as well compared to larger set ups.
17's sure ride nicer. I put 20's and like how it updates the truck but made the ride alot stiffer.

I will either go with 18's and 35's next or keep my 20's and go to a 37.

Old 12-11-2018, 12:40 PM

What part of Texas do you live in? I have an original muffler with the original tip and might be willing to sell depending on the price.

Last edited by 2003hummerH2; 12-11-2018 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by 2003hummerH2
What part of Texas do you live in? I have an original muffler with the original tip and might be willing to sell depending on the price.
I live in Austin. I don't really have too much to spare right now since I just bought it and I just put in a radio though