PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H3 Tire recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 01:38 PM

drivers side door jamb shows OE size & load range. Should be LT load range C... I installed LT load range D on mine.. Dont worry about ply count, Just get LT & D or E load range..

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=55

Last edited by hummerz; 01-19-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:19 PM
rsc

An LT tire is usually a stronger tire versus a P rated passenger car tire. You are looking for at least a D load rating (a Jeep is lighter and would use a C rating), 2 ply sidewalls are kinda standard but 3 is better if you need sidewall protection from cuts. The load carrying rating is from number of plies in the tread not the sidewall. There shouldn't be a big difference between 32 and 33" tires, less than 1 mpg.

Last edited by rsc; 01-19-2014 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:18 PM

Quick update:
Decided to go with P265 75/16.
Visited discount tire and they threw out another option I had not considered:
Goodyear Wrangler ArmorTrac @ only $~120/tire
vs
Cooper Discover ATP @ ~$136/tire

Thoughts? Planning on purchasing tomorrow.
LifeIsGood

Old 01-24-2014, 06:08 PM

How about the Nitto Terra Grappler.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:41 PM

I would never, drive my rig on a P-metric tire, NEVER!...It weighs 4,700lbs before I get in or load anything into it.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:26 PM

LT vs. P-metric

An LT tire is built more robustly than a P-metric tire, to handle heavy loads under adverse conditions. Heavier body plies and larger bead bundles allow LT tires to be inflated to higher pressures, thereby increasing the tire’s load capacity. It is the air inside the tire that carries the load. Usually LT tires have deeper tread depths than their P-metric counterparts. Officially, LT tires should always be replaced with LT tires. P-metric tires are passenger tires that are better suited for on-road use. There are some occasions where an LT tire may be a better replacement application than the OE P-metric, such as when better off-road durability is desired.

By the same token, a P-metric tire may be acceptable for a light truck or SUV application, providing the tire offers sufficient load rating (to handle vehicle weight), and providing the vehicle won’t be driven in an off-road situation. In addition to a concern for load carrying capacity, LT tires feature heavier construction in sidewall, shoulder and tread areas to better withstand rough-terrain exposure.

A P-metric tire should only be considered if the vehicle will only be operated on paved roadways.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:43 AM

"It weighs 4,700lbs before I get in or load anything into it. "

add 4 football players and you overload it, unless they are in a trailer!

Old 01-25-2014, 02:54 PM

A passenger tire DOES NOT belong on an SUV !!!!
The door jamb sticker says that an LT belongs on that vehicle.

Any reputable tire shop or dealer would refuse to put a lower rated tire on your TRUCK.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bunger
A passenger tire DOES NOT belong on an SUV !!!!
The door jamb sticker says that an LT belongs on that vehicle.

Any reputable tire shop or dealer would refuse to put a lower rated tire on your TRUCK.
I agree! I've been selling tires for over 15yrs. First thing, check the door jamb, that's the minimum size and rating for the vehicle, from the vehicle's manufacturer, NOT from the tire manufacturer. Even if the door jamb shows a p-metric tire size is acceptable(again, from the manufacurer of the vehicle, not the tire manufacturer), I next, find out more information from the customer. Overload the vehicle? Go Offroad? Tow anything?. If you answer yes to any of those questions, I'm selling you LT tires!

Tires are the foundation of the vehicle, and nobody should ever cut corners there! If you overload a tire, you have a greater chance of a blow out and loss of control of that vehicle.

Last edited by hummerz; 01-25-2014 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:34 PM

I contemplated the Goodyear All Terrain Adventure, there was a great deal on them at the time at the local dealer, but every other person I know that has a Hummer told me to use the Goodrich ATs, so that is what I got. One guy I car pool with has an H3 with the Goodrich ATs so I experienced the ride first hand. The other guy has an H2 and will only use the ATs.

Now if you go to the Goodrich sght, they don't like selling you the ATs for an H3, they supposedly have a better fitting tire for your vehicle and they don't say the ATs are anything great in the snow.
Well, I'm driving in nothing but snow lately and I really believe the H3 can do well with bald tires from any brand.The new ATs do work well.

Quick Reply: H3 Tire recommendations