PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H3 question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Default H3 question.

I drive a H2 so it is full time 4wd. But is the H3 full time 4wd? This might be a dumb question to some but i am just wondering.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Banned
Default Awd

all wheel drive, in my vast 13 month experience with " more" wheel drive i hear all wd is full time 4 wd, 4wd cars can ,could be set to 2 wd i think

awd =no choice

an xpert will be more specific

Old 11-01-2010, 06:09 PM

Thanks for the response. But i think full time 4wd is different than AWD. This is what i heard. full time 4WD- 4wd is on all the time. AWD- powers come on to specific wheels when starting to lose traction. Maybe true or maybe not. i am not sure. maybe someone actually knows.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:16 PM

Yes, ALL HUMMERS are 4WD Full Time just depends on how much power is distributed to the front and rear diff. depending on transfercase selection and model.

AWD and 4wd are NOT the same thing. I have an entire 5 paragraph explination on this subject. But, it is late and I will try to find in tomorrow and post it.

Last edited by TAINTER; 11-02-2010 at 11:14 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:33 PM

I knew it!!!!

Old 11-02-2010, 11:13 PM

This is my understanding of the types of AWD and 4wd systems. There are "bastards" of both type of systems. Also it depends on what the vehicle manufacturer defines their own "system" as. There are so many variations but here are the basics.

4WD = Low range and High Range gearing
AWD = Only high range gearing

Part-time 4WD: No centre differential. Cannot be used on dry/wet, semi-slippery roads due to the lack of the centre differential. When activated, both front and rear axles are physically locked to each other and have to spin at the same rate. This becomes a problem when turning on sufficiently high friction surfaces.

Permanent 4WD:. No two wheel drive mode. System is equipped with a centre differential, and hence is safe to use on all surfaces. All four wheels are powered all of the time (50/50 front and rear axles). This is arguably the best system since the torque split ratio does not change and is the most predictable. All wheels "help out" all of the time and this stabilises the vehicle + improves handling. With the extra two drive wheels, the vehicle has twice the amount of traction all of the time (even in no-slip conditions) vs. a 2WD vehicle.

Full-time 4WD: Basically permanent 4WD but with a split mode in the transfer case. Depending on the vehicle 30-70 or 40-60 split. This was born out of customer demand for a better turning radius.

Permanent AWD: Basically permanent 4WD but without low range gearing.

Full-time AWD: System is active at all times, however in most cases, the one set of wheels (usually the rears) only receive 5-10% of the engine's power unless slippage occurs. At that point, power is progressively transfered to the opposite axle to help out. Some systems can transfer power to the rear upon acceleration to improve traction. However, they revert to 2WD mode when coasting.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:22 AM
Banned
Default fun reading,but?

it sounds like opinion,not engineering fact.

Permanent 4WD:. No two wheel drive mode. System is equipped with a centre differential, and hence is safe to use on all surfaces. All four wheels are powered all of the time (50/50 front and rear axles). This is arguably the best system since the torque split ratio does not change and is the most predictable.
is the center diff locked or open?. 50/50,no torque split,sounds like locked? if locked is it safe on all surfaces?

"[/quote]Full-time AWD: System is active at all times, however in most cases, the one set of wheels (usually the rears) only receive 5-10% of the engine's power unless slippage occurs. At that point, power is progressively transfered to the opposite axle to help out. Some systems can transfer power to the rear upon acceleration to improve traction. However, they revert to 2WD mode when coasting"
[quote]

5% to the rear? what car would this be? what is the "system" thats active?

the main q?is what is a hummer?

Last edited by drtom; 11-03-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:06 PM

In soviet russia four wheel drive drives you