PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H3 Misconceptions - What people don't know (makes them sound like a fool)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator
Default H3 Misconceptions - What people don't know (makes them sound like a fool)

I'm new to the forums, and wanted to find out if others get the same reactions I do. These reactions being the following:

"We all know you have the money because you drive the Hummer"

"Why would you drive to work every day? Don't you get like 8 miles per gallon?"

"Hey, YOU are the one driving around the $60,000 car, YOU pay for lunch!"

"Stick? Why would you buy a stick?"

"That's not a real Hummer (which technically it isn't), It's just a toy"

"You're just helping the middle-east get richer"

"Why would you want something that rough to drive every day?"

or my personal favorite (because of various mods my wife wanted me to buy)

"Why don't you just have your entire H3 dipped in Chrome?"

Most of the people that critisize the price are the same ones that drive, let's see, a Lexus SC400, a fully-loaded Acura MDX, a Olds Alero, etc.

Most of these people completely changed their mind once they rode in my H3. It gets comparable gas mileage to most of the vehicles listed above, is definitely cheaper, and smoother. I drove my Sis-in-law's Merc 400/430 SUV ( I think that is the one ) and what a rough ride. They also have a brand new Pathfinder SE fully loaded, and that is rough also compared to the H3.

The big reason I think people are so afraid of the H3 is because they make false assumptions about the performance and price. You really do get a great vehicle for a great price, that is definitely the best in the price range for off-roading. If GM was SMART (dare I say) they would emphasize the price/value a little more and not just market the vehicle as a cool lookin SUV. I must have given a speech a dozen times about how much more "your" car is then mine, and how my H3 handles the road like you are driving a pillow compared to some of these upper-class cars. Give me a break.

My friend has a Ford Expedition. He thinks he can take it off-roading. I have nothing against those SUV's, and actually like his, BUT, there is such low ground clearance that I seriously doubt it would get very far in an extreme situation. He also thinks that his 40K expedition is less expensive then my H3. HA to him I say

Anyway, I am curious as to how many of these reactions other people have received. I have yet to go off-roading, but that is because there sure isn't many places in Chicago to do that, but there is one in Indiana (an off-road park) that I may visit in a couple of weeks. Hopefully after that, I will still have a reason to be here

Old 08-08-2006, 05:30 PM
Default RE: H3 Misconceptions - What people don't know (makes them sound like a fool)

I get these reactions often. I live in an upper middle class city; so these types are vehicles are fairly common. I get my share of negatives, but find now that most are positive. People ask me how I like it and if it is a rough ride. It is definetly rougher than my previous Jeep Grand Cherokee. Coil springs are more comfortable than leaf springs.

As for the 40K Expedition, you are driving a comparable vehicle. I paid 42K for my H3 (although it is loaded). I am not ashamed to be driving a nice car, nor will I make any excuses for it. I work hard and did not steal it. I put my time in getting educating and working the crap jobs to get to where I am today. Enjoy the fruits of your labor and screw anyone who comes across as jealous. I guarantee you, you have worked harder for your Hummer than they did for their Camaro.

That concludes my sermon for today.

Dawg19

Old 08-08-2006, 05:49 PM
Default RE: H3 Misconceptions - What people don't know (makes them sound like a fool)

I put my time in getting educating and working the crap jobs to get to....
Grammar was not one of the subjects?

Just kidding, just kidding..I thought that looked funny considering the subject

I completely agree...People with less will always envy people with more, without considering how you got to that high point of success in your life...Screw those narrow minded idiots...Most of them standing in welfare lines anyway.

Old 08-08-2006, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with you 100%. That is the point I was trying to make actually. Very well-worded my friend

Old 08-08-2006, 08:22 PM

I is a college graduate--lol. Considering the subject, that was a hilarious screw-up. Oh well, even educated people make mistakes. Thanks for pointing out my blunder.

Old 08-08-2006, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Well, I grew up on welfare and food stamps even when my single mother worked full-time, but actually made something of myself and broke that cycle. Don't worry though, I won't take offense to that ;-) I know what you mean.

Old 08-08-2006, 09:07 PM

ORIGINAL: HummerGuy

Well, I grew up on welfare and food stamps even when my single mother worked full-time, but actually made something of myself and broke that cycle. Don't worry though, I won't take offense to that ;-) I know what you mean.
You and me both. Except it was my Dad and I living in the back of a pickup for a while, before we moved into a travel trailer. I am the first in my family to go to college, and even though I have had several oppertunities to have higher paying jobs doing what I do now, I have passed them up to stay in school because the road lined with easy money is filled with bottemless pot holes the size of semis.

Old 08-08-2006, 09:26 PM

Hummerguy,

I certainly meant no offense by my comments. I was commenting on people that make rude remarks about the H3 and the people who drive them. I know that there are a lot of hard working people out there who have come into unfortunate circustances.

It is true though that most of the people that make rude comments are just jealous not only of your H3, but your station in life.

Dawg19

Old 08-08-2006, 09:29 PM

ORIGINAL: HummerGuy

You're right, I surely meant no offense..I'm no stranger to the life of hard knocks either, so I know what struggling is all about..

But I'll be willing to bet that neither one of you guys or your families ever flipped off a person in a big-a$$ Cadillac, or GMC Suburban or Chevy Travel-all (Monster SUVs of your guys days of hard times I estimate)....Me? it was huge Buicks and Oldsmobiles that looked a block long...Not once, did I ever flip off one of those people just because they owned it...I said to myself, "Self..You're gonna be able to own one of those big shiney Cadillacs one day yourself"...That's more my point..The dead beats that won't get out of soup line because it's easier to blame others for their failures or lack of drive to better them selves.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:45 PM

HummerGuy, I know what you mean. I've been flipped off, cut off, looked at crooked, you name it. At gas stations, it usually turns into talking to someone about the H3 because they immediatley think you're rich and you drive a gas guzzling rig. For those that flip you off or whatever while driving, just wave and smile. I've tried to get GM to add a machine gun to the hood but until then, wave a smile. That REALLY burns them up! For those that you talk to, give them the truth about the H3. It's a mid-size Hummer, very affordable and gets around 20 mpg's. That's usually enough to stop them in their tracks and say, "you get better mileage than my trailblazer".

That's my 2 cents on the subject.

Quick Reply: H3 Misconceptions - What people don't know (makes them sound like a fool)