PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H3 mechanical question

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 02:10 AM
Default H3 mechanical question

I have noticed my tail pipe seems to appear excessively coated with black soot inside also when I did my last oil change the base of the block where the filter attaches to had heavy black soot on it.To me the soot in the tail pipe indicates the fuel mixture is on the rich side,the soot at the oil filter has me puzzled.The vechicle has only 10000 mi on it,I have the inline 5.Also the amount of water that comes ou of the mufflers and tail pipe on start up seems to be excessive in my opinion when I have small puddles on the ground. Im thinking is cataltic converter turning all those nasty emssions to water? and the water mixing with the exhaust causing the inside of my tail pipe to be so soot like black looking? Also the exhaust smell in my carport is so bad on a cold start up,you cant stand beside the vehicle.I get no check engine lite to indicate any problems and the H3 runs just great. I welcome your opinion thanks.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:49 PM
Default RE: H3 mechanical question

I believe what you are stating is all normal. I know if you look at the bottom of your muffler there are some small pinholes, it was designed for the water to drip out. (I asked this when I bought it)
My garage will also fill with alot of exhaust if left running in there with the door open, I just stopped doing this. Since I cut the muffler off my 07 I haven't noticed half as much condensation coming out of the pipe. Wondering if it has something to do with the muffler design

Old 04-14-2010, 09:51 AM
Banned
Default "I believe what you are stating is all normal." !!

i dont!!!,,,not normal at all !!
if one guy is getting lots of soot and NO ONE ELSE is,,its hardly normal. fwiw i get no soot, little water on startup, 16-18 mpg.
a rich mix should show in mpg, AND ERROR CODES.
if it smells bad something IS fishey!!

A WHILE BACK SOMEONE HAD VIBRATION THAT SHOOK HIS TEETH AND SOMEONE SAID "ITS NORMAL"!!!

BIG NEWS,,,IF THEY ALL DO IT,,ITS NORMAL!!! IF ONE DOES IT , ITS A MALFUNCTION.

NOW ILL GO GET THE CRANK AND SEE IF MY H3 WILL START!!

TOM

Old 05-21-2010, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by studio theater
I have noticed my tail pipe seems to appear excessively coated with black soot inside also when I did my last oil change the base of the block where the filter attaches to had heavy black soot on it.To me the soot in the tail pipe indicates the fuel mixture is on the rich side,the soot at the oil filter has me puzzled.The vechicle has only 10000 mi on it,I have the inline 5.Also the amount of water that comes ou of the mufflers and tail pipe on start up seems to be excessive in my opinion when I have small puddles on the ground. Im thinking is cataltic converter turning all those nasty emssions to water? and the water mixing with the exhaust causing the inside of my tail pipe to be so soot like black looking? Also the exhaust smell in my carport is so bad on a cold start up,you cant stand beside the vehicle.I get no check engine lite to indicate any problems and the H3 runs just great. I welcome your opinion thanks.
you can find a replacement turbo, you can replace the center bearing assembly on your existing turbo, upgrade to a bigger turbo, or you can send it to blouch and they will re-manufacturer your turbo to their specs.

Last edited by atashashane; 05-24-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by atashashane
you can find a replacement turbo, you can replace the center bearing assembly on your existing turbo, upgrade to a bigger turbo, or you can send it to blouch and they will re-manufacturer your turbo to their specs.
I'm not sure you replied to this thread??