PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

h3 interior shift boot

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 12:35 PM
Default h3 interior shift boot

My auto interior shift boot is kind of ratty. I've found some vague,conflicting ways to replace it. Some say the forward console and shifter **** have to be removed. Another one said the shifter **** and bezel just have come off. Don't want to start yanking blindly. Thanks.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:45 AM

You didn't say if you are referring to the manual transmission ?
If you mean the leather boot for the manual trans, then yes, the boot unclips from the front first, then there are two clips that are difficult
to unclip from the rear of the boot.
Once this is accomplished, the upper shift lever and the shift **** and the entire boot is one piece.
It can be removed by loosening of the allen screw, holding this assembly to the transmission shaft pin

Old 06-28-2015, 11:56 AM

Thanks for your reply but I have an automatic. Am I in for a tougher time of it?

Old 06-28-2015, 04:31 PM

I can't help on an auto trans. someone else will have to chime in.
I now see you did mention "auto", sorry

Old 07-01-2015, 09:56 PM

The shift lever has a small bolt in the front of it. I think it might have been an hex bolt. Engage the parking brake chock the tires. shift it into first. remove the bolt pull up and the handle will come off. Open the center glove box and just pull up on the top portion of the center shift console from rear then work your way to the front. Then you can replace your boot. Install from the front to the rear working the boot over the shaft. The console clips back down. Reinstall your shift lever and you should be done. Don't for get the bolt.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:06 AM

Update: First thanks for all the tips. Came apart easier then I figured. The problem was with the leather ebay boot I bought. Said it was made for an H3 auto. However, the leather was so thick it was murder tucking it into the plastic frame. Then the assembly would not fit into the the console opening because of the thick leather. I ended up paying more for the whole boot assy with handle and frame. 10 minute job that way. Only thing it's that cheap vinyl material. But it looks way better then the tattered one that was in there. Thanks again.