PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H3 Driver side door locks with key in ignition

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by petermccarty
If you ever get to the bottom of this, PLEASE share.
Are you still using the OEM battery terminal connectors? If so, do what I said earlier and you won't need to be asking this same question again and again.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:32 PM
Default and close the driver's side door, that door locks. The other 3 doors remain unlocked

a very close reading of what he said, and a very close look at the dr.door wiring; shows there is one lock relay for all 5 doors and 2 unlock relays. so if the dr door actually locks when he closes it the one lock relay would have to do it,but how? since it is wired to all 5 doors!
one unlock relay runs the dr door alone and the other runs the other 4 doors.
those 3 relays are in the dr door module. I would swap them around to see if the problem changes.
its very tricky because any batt glitch that causes a lock would affect all doors, even though it seems like that is it. he says only the dr door locks. ??

finally, under normal operation there is no way to lock just one door, only all 5. you can unlock the dr door,or the other 4 after that but not all at once.

tell me more.

Last edited by happythree; 02-13-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:58 PM

I tried the disconnect the positive terminal per Doc's advice --- so far so good. Not sure why, but it seems to have done the trick. THANKS
The battery terminal disconnection was short lived. I am now officially locked out again. Anybody? Buhler?

Same thing with any connection, you removed the connection, removing some corrosion, then reinstalling, making a better connection and it works. Now it's failing again? Poor connection. Just do what Doc stated:

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Yo Pete.... whazzzzz up?

Question: Do you still have the crappy OEM battery terminal connectors? If you do, search out some of the many threads on why to hack them off ASAP and get a quality aftermarket set.

You likely have had a voltage variation that has caused some kind of BCM or PCM brain fart. I would start by disconnecting the Positive battery terminal for 3-4 minutes, and then hook it back up ans see what you have. Of course if you were going to change out to aftermarket battery terminals, just do it then.

This is what a good connection looks like (not those cheap/weak oe terminals) Take note of the resting voltage (12.65v) that's excellent:

Last edited by hummerz; 02-13-2014 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:25 AM

it starts to look like all doors get the unlock signal,EXCEPT the driver door. the dr door gets its unlock from the bcm ONLY. the other doors can be unlocked by switches on the dr door or the pass door.
thr dr unlock is completely apart from the others.
I go back to swapping the relays in the dr door module,or the dr unlock signal from the bcm.

this looks like a different problem from the one where the sw assm needs reset.
when its warmer ill pull the module and look inside. I am real curious about both problems. they are not going away!

I finally got a copy so it can be seen clearly.

theres a ton of reading to do in the doors pdf, it starts to look like the bcm malfunction.
not finished yet

Attached Thumbnails H3 Driver side door locks with key in ignition-door-wiring.jpg  

Last edited by happythree; 02-14-2014 at 08:17 AM.