PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H3-2007_No Fuel Delivery @ Start-UP

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 06:09 PM
Exclamation H3-2007_No Fuel Delivery @ Start-UP

50k+ miles. Twice in past 4 weeks (~1200 mi interval) I returned to the vehicle within 15-30 minutes following a 5 mile drive, and the engine cranked, but no fuel delivery. After leaving her alone 15-20 minutes, I come back and she's acting like nothing happened.

I don't know if dealer diagnostics could pick it up; sorta doubt it.

Has anybody had a similar incident? What's the read? Ignition switch, programming? Who manufactures the ECU?

Thanks for all help.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:48 PM

Is the security icon lit? If so, the truck thinks someone is trying to steal it and will not deliver fuel for 10 minutes. Likely cause is a bad ignition switch. Do a search, there are several threads on this. Just for everyone elses information, when the security icon is lit on my 2010, it will not crank. The 06 thorugh 09 will crank but not fire. May be a difference in programming on the 2010 Alpha. I found this out through a couple of misfires on my remote starter. After about 8 minutes the icon goes from flashing to solid and then goes off at 10 minutes and everything is fine again. FYI

Old 12-01-2010, 06:03 PM

No icon, Mr Smith, but thanks for the feedback. I think I'm gonna replace the switch to rule that out. Other threads pointed to switches and gear position sensors. It's no hazard at this point, just an inconvenience. The drive cycle may have been coincidental but, at only two intermittent fails, I had to consider it. Was a switch replacement your fix?

Old 12-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Since the 06 & 07 H3s have a PCM and a BCM,....... I don't think anybody here cares who manufactures an ECU????

ECU is an old term (circa 1979-1981) and can be confused with the generic meaning for an embedded system, hence the preferred usage is PCM, BCM, and in the 08s and up, TCM to avoid confusion. But heck, everybody knew what you meant.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Burninstick
No icon, Mr Smith, but thanks for the feedback. I think I'm gonna replace the switch to rule that out. Other threads pointed to switches and gear position sensors. It's no hazard at this point, just an inconvenience. The drive cycle may have been coincidental but, at only two intermittent fails, I had to consider it. Was a switch replacement your fix?
My problem was a misfire from my remote starter. Pulled the fuse on it to reset and has been fine since. I learned about the switch problem on this and other forums. If the security icon is not lit it is likely not the ignition switch. Intermittent is hard to fix. Maybe at some point it will throw a code and will be a litte easier to track down. Good luck.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Red face

Doc, I'm embarassed. Really. Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to call the tech group around the table tomorrow morning to straighten things out at our plant. My employer's been manufacturing/shipping ECUs at a pretty good clip for 12 years now, bare board to sealed frame. Trust me, these guys are going to be mightily embarassed too. They've been calling them ECUs all this time (ca. 1998) when they should've been calling them BCMs or PCMs. Wait, TCMs actually, now that they're begun m/y 11.5 testing. To avoid confusion. Sir.