PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Green Hids Installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 09:59 PM

tomsbeast87, have you ever left your "area"? Just because the local police are lax on issues does not mean that a few citys, counties or even states over might not be as lax on their laws. I HAVE been with a buddy when I was younger and he DID get his vehicle towed. He had red neon under his vehicle which is illegal and "just cause" to be pulled over. Once "just cause" has been established the officer searched the vehicle and found something illegal. Thus towing the vehicle which was damaged during the tow and never reported by the tow driver. So my buddy was not only out impound and release fees then he had to pay to have it towed to his house and then the ensuing repairs, oh yeah then the court costs for the "something illegal" they found.

What does all this mean: Don't give the police a reason to pull you over and you can "skirt" around other laws that may have much higher penalties than just a "fix it" ticket. There are many legal ways to have a really great looking vehicle, why give "the man" who DOES know and inforce those laws a reason to pull you over and "inspect" your vehicle?

Old 07-23-2011, 01:00 AM

This thread is almost a sad commentary on the state of our country. "It doesn't matter if it's illegal as long as I don't get caught."

The tint of the lights doesn't bother me near as much as the HID's in non-projector housings blinding all oncoming traffic, regardless of what color the light is.

Green headlights, I just don't get it. Just looks broken to me.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:31 AM

Tainter, yes i have left my area, infact I moved from ny to nc for awhile and i continue to make serveral trip a year down to nc. as for your buddy getting towed i am sorry, i just had never heard of someone getting towed for things like that. I still think that if she wants green lights then she should have them and not worry about it.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:15 AM

I must admit I like a tricked out vehicle just as much as the next guy, however laws are created for a reason. The law of the land is (and has been ever since I got my license many moons ago) White and amber/yellow lights on the front of a vehicle. You may get pulled over you may not. Just don't start crying and blaming the police when you do.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:03 AM

Fellas, keep in mind the OP is a teenage female, and from the sounds of it, this may be her first vehicle. She is learning, it doesnt mean she's ignorant. I think its commendable that she is posting up in here and trying to learn. Most people in her demographic could care less what us olds think

Old 07-23-2011, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Tram
Wow.. Green HID's in non-projector lenses. I feel bad for any car that has the unfortunate opportunity to come your way at night time..

For what it's worth, you're dad's copy buddy needs to learn the law..

In Georgia (and the rest of the United States) it's illegal to have anything other than white or yellow displayed from the front of your vehicle.

S5.5.11(a) Any pair of lamps on the front of a passenger car, multipurpose passenger vehicle, truck, or bus, whether or not required by this standard, other than parking lamps or fog lamps, may be wired to be automatically activated, as determined by the manufacturer of the vehicle, in a steady burning state as daytime running lamps (DRLs) and to be automatically deactivated when the headlamp control is in any ``on'' position, and as otherwise determined by the manufacturer of the vehicle.

(2) Is permanently marked ‘‘DRL’’ on its lens in letters not less than 3 mm high, unless it is optically combined with a headlamp;

(3) Is designed to provide the same color as the other lamp in the pair, and
that is one of the following colors as defined in SAE Standard J578 MAY88:
White, white to yellow, white to selective yellow, selective yellow, or yellow; (Green is not allowed by Federal or Georgia code)

Also:

U.S. Department 400 Seventh St S W
of Transportation Washington, DC 20590
National Highway
Traffic Safety
Administration April 14, 1998

The requirements for headlamps on new motor vehicles intended to be sold to the public for use on highways are specified in Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 108, "Lamps, reflective devices and associated equipment, " (the Standard). This Standard applies to lighting
for new motor vehicles, to lighting equipment intended to replace required lighting on motor vehicles in-use, and to certain items of specified new lighting equipment that may not be supplied as original equipment on new motor vehicles.
The color of light emitted by headlamps is required to be white. The boundaries of white specified by the Standard are relatively wide; thus, when referring to the specified boundaries as plotted on the CIE 1931 2° Chromaticity Diagram, it can be seen that white may have high
content of yellow, red, purple, blue, or green, depending on the measured chromaticity coordinates of the emitted light and its location relative to the defined boundaries for the color white. The color of a headlamp is usually measured in the central portion of the beam pattern, where there is little optical bending to form the beam. Measurements taken toward the edges
of the beam pattern can result in incorrect color measurement because of light reflection that occurs in the elements of the lamp's optics. This reflection can cause separation of the light's constituent wavelengths, and often blue and red colors can be observed. This occurs regardless of the type and nature of the light source used by the headlamp. If the beam has obvious coloration at places other than at its edges, then color tests are done in locations chosen by the test technician where the measurement of colors outside the CIE white boundaries are judged to be likely. The color test is not performed on the bulb alone. Thus, casual observation of headlamps may seem to show that the lamp is emitting light that is
not white. This does not necessarily mean that the headlamp does not comply with the Standard's requirement that it emit white light. When observing a beam projected on a white screen, headlamps that comply will have the projection be obviously white with color separations occurring only at the extreme edges of the pattern.
Maybe she's within the law?

Old 07-24-2011, 10:15 AM

Thanks Widespread Hummer for backing me up. And yes, me and my dad install electrical equipment on police cars all over our area. Most of them know us.

And yes this is my first car, am still learning lol. Thanks everybody for the info

Old 07-24-2011, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Widespread Hummer
Maybe she's within the law?
You bolded all that and skipped the very last sentence.. That sentence reads:

"When observing a beam projected on a white screen, headlamps that comply will have the projection be obviously white with color separations occurring only at the extreme edges of the pattern."

What this means, is that the light will be mostly white, with colors at the edges..

Did you see the picture she posted?

Sorta like the following picture.. If you look at the picture, the edges of the light have some blue and some purple. While "casually observing" the light, it may not appear white, but it obviously is..

Name:  DSC_2037.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  32.3 KB

Old 07-24-2011, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Widespread Hummer
Fellas, keep in mind the OP is a teenage female, and from the sounds of it, this may be her first vehicle.
Wonder if this excuse would work after she didn't see your child crossing the street in front of her because her nifty new green headlights obscured her vision and caused her to flatten your kid? Would we need to keep the fact that she's a young female in mind then?

Headlights are white for a reason. Being a teenager with their first vehicle seems all the more reason to be a little more critical of someone.

I commend her for posting up, however, when you put yourself "out there" one should be ready to hear valid opinions from those who have differing opinions. I have nothing against the kid. I think her choice in headlight colors isn't "cool." I think it's ignorant. I'd tell my own daughters that and have no problem telling another persons kid that as well.

Last edited by Tram; 07-24-2011 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:01 AM

Thanks Tram. That is a good point! (And an overall great post.)

Some regulations are beneficial. Others aren't. Having headlights that provide good visibility is certainly the former.

I still say though, lets not be to hard on the original poster. We have provided some great information, from legal code to our own experiences.

She needs to make her decisions, now that we've provided her with the tools to do so. (Unlike the cop that should have done a bit more research.) Any consequences are hers.

There is no need to just rip her up for it. She has a good looking truck. Let's encourage her to stay safe and to continue posting.

(I don't think anyone has been too harsh yet, just don't want to see the thread go that direction.)

Last edited by beitodesstrafe; 07-25-2011 at 08:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Green Hids Installed