PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Green Hids Installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Haterade95
After a long wait me and my dad finally found some green xentec hids for my hummer and im very happy! I asked one of our cop friends my dad knows to see if their is any law about them. And he said that if he didn't know about it, then more than likely nobody else does. So im crossing my fingers that no cops give me trouble.

Wow.. Green HID's in non-projector lenses. I feel bad for any car that has the unfortunate opportunity to come your way at night time..

For what it's worth, you're dad's copy buddy needs to learn the law..

In Georgia (and the rest of the United States) it's illegal to have anything other than white or yellow displayed from the front of your vehicle.

S5.5.11(a) Any pair of lamps on the front of a passenger car, multipurpose passenger vehicle, truck, or bus, whether or not required by this standard, other than parking lamps or fog lamps, may be wired to be automatically activated, as determined by the manufacturer of the vehicle, in a steady burning state as daytime running lamps (DRLs) and to be automatically deactivated when the headlamp control is in any ``on'' position, and as otherwise determined by the manufacturer of the vehicle.

(2) Is permanently marked ‘‘DRL’’ on its lens in letters not less than 3 mm high, unless it is optically combined with a headlamp;

(3) Is designed to provide the same color as the other lamp in the pair, and
that is one of the following colors as defined in SAE Standard J578 MAY88:
White, white to yellow, white to selective yellow, selective yellow, or yellow; (Green is not allowed by Federal or Georgia code)

Also:

U.S. Department 400 Seventh St S W
of Transportation Washington, DC 20590
National Highway
Traffic Safety
Administration April 14, 1998

The requirements for headlamps on new motor vehicles intended to be sold to the public for use on highways are specified in Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 108, "Lamps, reflective devices and associated equipment, " (the Standard). This Standard applies to lighting
for new motor vehicles, to lighting equipment intended to replace required lighting on motor vehicles in-use, and to certain items of specified new lighting equipment that may not be supplied as original equipment on new motor vehicles.
The color of light emitted by headlamps is required to be white. The boundaries of white specified by the Standard are relatively wide; thus, when referring to the specified boundaries as plotted on the CIE 1931 2° Chromaticity Diagram, it can be seen that white may have high
content of yellow, red, purple, blue, or green, depending on the measured chromaticity coordinates of the emitted light and its location relative to the defined boundaries for the color white. The color of a headlamp is usually measured in the central portion of the beam pattern, where there is little optical bending to form the beam. Measurements taken toward the edges
of the beam pattern can result in incorrect color measurement because of light reflection that occurs in the elements of the lamp's optics. This reflection can cause separation of the light's constituent wavelengths, and often blue and red colors can be observed. This occurs regardless of the type and nature of the light source used by the headlamp. If the beam has obvious coloration at places other than at its edges, then color tests are done in locations chosen by the test technician where the measurement of colors outside the CIE white boundaries are judged to be likely. The color test is not performed on the bulb alone. Thus, casual observation of headlamps may seem to show that the lamp is emitting light that is
not white. This does not necessarily mean that the headlamp does not comply with the Standard's requirement that it emit white light. When observing a beam projected on a white screen, headlamps that comply will have the projection be obviously white with color separations occurring only at the extreme edges of the pattern.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:37 PM

Just because 1 cop says "it ain't illegal" does not mean it isn't. Wait till he meets the cop that actually knows the law then......

I'm just waiting for him to get a ticket and have to ask his "Daddy" to pay for it (just like the dummies that had red neon under thier "ricer" soup can cars). Then he will post up about the "brightest white" replacements he can get and we can all have a little laugh.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:43 PM

Let's not be too hard on him.

I'm sure we've all done a couple mods that had no real purpose other than we liked them... and would probably get us pulled over.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:47 PM

Especially my last car, interior red LED's, headlights were blue... tail lights tinted, windows tinted darker than they should have been.

Not to mention, I SHOULD have had a front plate.

I actually got lucky and never got ticketed for any of it.... BUT I've gotten older and decided it isn't worth the stress.

Last edited by beitodesstrafe; 07-21-2011 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:50 PM

But yeah, haterade... if you do get pulled over... saying a cop told you "it was okay" is a bad idea.

Just tell the officer you'll get it fixed.

The rest is up to you.

Last edited by beitodesstrafe; 07-21-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by beitodesstrafe
Let's not be too hard on him.

I'm sure we've all done a couple mods that had no real purpose other than we liked them... and would probably get us pulled over.
Nope, sorry I never had an "illegal" mod on any of my previous vehicles (muscle cars to HUMMERS). I made sure that whatever mod I did was within the specs of the law. I even got a signed letter from a circut cort judge so I could have my 5% tint on the windows due to my "Moms" cornia issues (pays to have a judge as a neighbor). You can always "skate around" or "bend" the law but you can not claim ingnorance to "the man" and get away with it. You will have to remove the mod and take it back to the local police department and have an officer sign off on it, best case scenario. Worst case is, his rig gets towed, the towing company breaks his rig and does not have to pay for it and the officers find a joint under the seat.

Sorry beit, Telling someone how it is is NOT being " too hard on him". It's the truth and he should know it well before he gets pulled over for it so he knows how to react to the situation.

Every cruise night I see "ricers" and "others" get pulled over for stupid violations of local and national code violations. I just don't want it to happen to another HUMMER owner.

Last edited by TAINTER; 07-21-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:17 PM

^ I can't argue with that.

Good advice isn't always the easiest to hear.

Edit to add: Taint, you are a good man.

Last edited by beitodesstrafe; 07-21-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by beitodesstrafe
Good advice isn't always the easiest to hear.
True Dat! (If I can quote some pants starting at their knees youth)

Old 07-21-2011, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
True Dat! (If I can quote some pants starting at their knees youth)
Ahahaha

Old 07-22-2011, 08:04 AM

it all depends on where you live and cops by you. Yes on paper there are alot of things against the law to do, but do cops waste there time busting people on petty things like that by you? i know where i live they dont. And who has ever been towed away do to a fix it ticket? I see trucks with there wheels sticking out way more then they should by me all the time along with underglow, inside neons on while driving, diffrent color head lights, hell in high school my buddy used limo tint that let no light in almost lol, we never had problems nor does anyone still. so yea that may be the law but cops in her area might just not be so **** about petty **** like that. i would rather have my law inforcement out stopping crimes not car mods

Quick Reply: Green Hids Installed