PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Getting more power out of the H3

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 06:57 AM
Default RE: Getting more power out of the H3

ORIGINAL: kild1

why dont people test drive a H3 before they buy them
i test drove both of mine before we bought them
it just seemed the right thing to do before i dropped 35+k
then i knew what i was gettin and knew it wasnt a mustang gt
I agree, although you shouldn't need to test drive one to know that it won't perform any miracles in the power dept.
A simple equation of: # of cyls/engine displacement + hp + torque + WEIGHT (so many people completely overlook the impact the weight of a vehicle has on it's performance)
For me, a test drive is more about being comfortable overall in the vehicle. Performance can be tweaked toeach individual's own taste.
If you are not the type to get into making aftermarket upgrades/changes, then you should def know what you're getting into before you buy.
I am not totally unpleased withn the H3'sstock power,as that was not one of the top factors in choosing it. The H3 is for my ******* around town, and perhaps in some sand and mud from time to time.I have a vette for the days that I want to exercise myinner Mario Andretti.
That said, I will prob perform a few tweaks to the H3 to give it a bit more muscle.

Old 05-12-2007, 07:10 AM

Who said I didn't test drive it? I looked at the H3 and the FJ. And drove both and did my research. The FJ had much more kick to it but I was more comfortable in the H3. I'm a little surprised at the negative attitude here. Sorry for my feelings guys, I think I'll just keep looking for a forum whose attitudes are a little more friendly. I'm sure I won't be missed. Again, no offense intended, just doesn't seem to be a match here. Thanks.

Old 05-12-2007, 08:37 AM

Patience is a virtue........
[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]

Seriously, the H3 is a "bit" underpowered.. Even the 3.7 which I have, can't imagine how the 3.5 is with 20 less ponies.

Anyrate, I did as others have done here, upgrade the intake to a K&N filter with my own tube mod (I bought the 06 version and it didn't fit so I MADE IT FIT).

I did the group buy PCM update from PCMforless and I installed a Magnaflow exhaust. That setup seems to be the hat trick for the H3. No it isn't the end all performance update but for the money I doubt there is a better answer available today.

I've been fortunate with my H3, I get decent gas mileage with it. Shortly after purchasing it I made a 9 hr drive down to New Orleans from Dallas. I stayed at 70 mph where posted, some of the route which was all interstate was 60 and 65 posted and I stayed on the limit in all cases. I averaged 20 MPG with just me in the H3 and a small baggage case.

Last weekend I loaded the hummer up with some of my toys, I fly radio controll helicopters in my sparse spare time. I had the truck full of stuff a medium load I'd say. This time I had all 3 performance enhancements and I headed down to southwest Louisiana for the event and once again, I averaged a smidge OVER 20MPG.

I can't explain others that get poor mileage nor can I explain my higher than expected mileage. I do have stock tires and a non adventure setup and I don't go over the speed limit. I run 87 octane fuel. I filled up in Sulphur, LA and drove all the way to Dallas, I had a 1/4 tank left and had 372 miles on the trip. I put 18.33 gallons in to top it off.

The intake, PCM and exhuast does make a difference in acceleration and it's noticable, love the sound and the darn thing gets up to speed much quicker. I find myself minding the speedodometer when traveling the city streets as I tend to get to over speed by driving the way I used to when not even getting close to the speedlimit.

Short of a turbo, supercharger or nitrous, the forementioned is the practical solution.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:31 AM

I had a chance to ride in a modded 3.5L I5 H3. It's 0-60MPH was mid 8 seconds compared to 10.2-11.1 seconds for the stock 3.5L H3 depending on what magazine you believe. His mods were:

K&N air box
Cold air ducting
Home ported throttle body
Gutted exhaust manifold cat
Exhaust
Tuning

The early reports that I read said the the H3 alpha will run 0-60MPH in just under 8 seconds to just over 8 seconds. I'd expect alpha performance with better MPG from a 3.7L with these mods.

Old 05-12-2007, 07:05 PM

About how much does all that run?

Old 05-12-2007, 07:35 PM

Cold air intake------$200
Cat back exhaust-----$350-$850 depending on company and type of material used
PCM for less tune----$200...guestimation

porting the throttle body----DIY
Gutting cat-----DIY

For a grand or less you can have all this done and IMO be very happy with the results.......or I can sell you mine and you'll be faster than any h3 with this stuff done...but the trade off is you'll get 9mpg.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:12 PM

ORIGINAL: 6pack

I think I'll just keep looking for a forum whose attitudes are a little more friendly. I'm sure I won't be missed.
So I guess this is goodbye then....I can recommend www.Elc-ovaforums.com
..take out the hyphen and you're good to go..cya!

Old 05-13-2007, 09:47 AM

Not too shabby, we may just have to do this if we don't get an H2.

Old 05-13-2007, 03:10 PM

ORIGINAL: importkiller
or I can sell you mine and you'll be faster than any h3 with this stuff done...but the trade off is you'll get 9mpg.
What do you have done to your H3?

Old 05-14-2007, 11:19 AM

no idea...it's just always been faster than other h3's I have driven. A friend of mine has the exact same package h3 and when I got mine we pulled next to each other at a light and I smoked him...badly....I have no clue what is diferent with mine, but I also never got more than 11 mpg and with the 35's I now get between 8.5-9.5 mpg

Quick Reply: Getting more power out of the H3